Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

Sorry if I am asking something that has already ben answered but I have a friend who is great at rebuilding engines, anything involved carpentry work in the home or office, very intelligent, but a complete twit when it comes to trying to get his visa. Since he will be shortly in overstay mode, I have suggested he take a plane to Vientienne and go diretctly to the Embassy the following morning. Since he has to stay there a night or two, it would be cheaper, not to mention safer, than being caught by immigration police in Thailand. On the other had, I suggested he either take the sleeper to Nongkhai or a bus that arrives very early and follow the instructions of some of you folks on the board. He tried to go there once with his Thai BF, but they both got ripped off enroute to the border from a hotel in NK - some tuk-tuk driver was asked how much to the border, they were told 600 baht, then dorve them around the corner and said they were there!

Now he is afraid to try it by himself for fear of getting totally ripped off and the next bus with complete visa service will cost him about four extra days overstay.

Any one care to give EXPLICIT instructions for getting from the Vientienne airport to a bed/breakfast near the embassy so he could get in line early in the mornring.

He shouldn't have a problem getting back - just follow his nose to the border!! Would appreciate any help for him if possible.

It will be much cheaper to fly from BKK (I'm assuming this is his departure point) to Nong Khai and then taking a bus or taxi to the border than flying directly to Vientiane.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Snooky, the explicit instruction sheet has a base price of 1k baht. Then we have the handling fee,

The Thai language surcharge, taxes, amortization on the warehouse, copier fluid, internet access

and misc equipment overhead, contribution to the health plan. Just round it off to 5,000 baht. :o

Seriously, your friend sounds like a good candidate for one of those visa tours. Look in the travel section

of the Bangkok post classifieds. It will be a couple thousand more THB than you would pay if going alone

but they take care of literally everything for you. Zero negotiations, price transactions required.

I am not sure any organized group will let him join if he is currently on overstay. Land travel is not recommended as there can be police checks and if found out there can be consequences other than the normal daily fine and red stamp involved. It is just better to fly out of country when on overstay.

I am not sure any organized group will let him join if he is currently on overstay. Land travel is not recommended as there can be police checks and if found out there can be consequences other than the normal daily fine and red stamp involved. It is just better to fly out of country when on overstay.

Snooky said his friend isn't on overstay yet,if so a flight from BKK to Udon in the morning,minibus from Airport to Border, Thai Embassy,1 night stay,flight back,should be the best,and cheapest way.

In luang Prabang for xmas, new years and ... tourist visa in Viantiane

I saved a 1000 B bill for the fee but now, after reading this highly informative post want to get an x2 tourist visa for 2000B

QUESTION

Do they still ask for payment when you RECIEVE your passport back the next day as they do for regular tourist visas? The reason is I have money but will need to find someplace to change kip into Baht to pay the higher fee - Will Ihave a day to do this in or do I need to get it BEFORE I drop my passport off.

Thanks to any who respond

"What I have seen are reports that you pay on submission of passport for visa."

Thanks Lopburi for that prompt response - I get the same thing out of the posts but no one states it explicitly --- For two years, more than two years, the Vientiane embassy has always taken money when you picked up your passport (the next day). As of three months ago - October 1 2007 this is how they did it - for all visa's not just tourist etc. This is first hand information plus friends who have different visas than I which is why I still have reason to doubt (hope) and was trying to get a clarification.

I'm arriving in the evening and wanted to drop passport the next morning. I have a 50/50 chance the GH that I stay at might have Baht I can exchange for, if not guess it will be a long morning with a stop at the market money changers first.

Such is life

Oh my God :D

Or is it premature senility. Do I wait in line in the yard, drop my passport to the man up front who then takes it into the embassy where 20 minutes later my name is called and I pay money then and collect the next day.

It's a sobering moment when you know with certainity you are are lost in the tunnels of your own mind. People have told me it would end this way. I didn't think it be this soon. I thought I had a few years left, maybe a decade before it all closed in for good .............. :o

In luang Prabang for xmas, new years and ... tourist visa in Viantiane

I saved a 1000 B bill for the fee but now, after reading this highly informative post want to get an x2 tourist visa for 2000B

QUESTION

Do they still ask for payment when you RECIEVE your passport back the next day as they do for regular tourist visas? The reason is I have money but will need to find someplace to change kip into Baht to pay the higher fee - Will Ihave a day to do this in or do I need to get it BEFORE I drop my passport off.

Thanks to any who respond

was just there beginning of the month.

not sure where the confusion is coming from, i think this has been mentioned more than once on this thread (although seems they used to do it differently?)

i will attempt to make the process as clear as possible:

DAY ONE (MORNING)

1) you drop off your passport at the desk.

2) you go to the little room on the other side of the consulate compound, and wait for your name to be called.

3) when your name is called, you pay them.

4) when you pay them, you get a receipt.

DAY TWO (AFTERNOON)

1) you go to where you dropped the passport off (not where you paid, but it'll be obvious)

2) you give them the receipt.

3) they give you your passport, with a shiny new double entry tourist visa, you look it over and make sure it is correct.

Thanks all - Sorry I was losing it and thought what I did after dropping the passport off on day 1 happend on day 2.

Senility, premature dementia? :o Could be either as I have used the Viantiene embassy for 2 years. And shock of shocks was treated to fine and exceptional service yesterday. More so than just the cursory nod. Might add that I needed to pick up another 1000 baht note at an exchange bank for the tourist X2 on the day I was dropping off so I did not bother with the morning rush as I had toi wait to 830 AM for the bank to open. Samlor'd up at 1015 after a leisurely breakfast and walked right up and dropped off. Not a person in line in front of me. Of course it took another 40 minutes to pay and get receipt.

Great trip

I am wondering : How you go to Vientiane ? air, bus, train ?

If I understood well peoples answers : Vientiane is the best place to get a 2entries tourist visa. No one refused there ! Right ?

In case, you get refused for the tourist Visa. If you have only 2 tourists Visa in your passport, can you still enter Thailand within the 30 days rules ? I understood YES... just want to make sure. Thanks

Just back from Vientiane ..... got Double Entry TR .... no questions asked, no requirements. (Have two years of Cambodian stamps and the 'red Penang' stamp.

Went by plane (Lao Airlines) .... 7,200 baht incl. airport taxes in Thailand and Laos.

Stayed in very nice hotel http://www.aroonresidencehotel.com. US$30 per night, incl. breakfast (very large nice room, friendly staff).

Edited by sniffdog

Just back from Vientiane ..... got Double Entry TR .... no questions asked, no requirements. (Have two years of Cambodian stamps and the 'red Penang' stamp.

Went by plane (Lao Airlines) .... 7,200 baht incl. airport taxes in Thailand and Laos.

Stayed in very nice hotel http://www.aroonresidencehotel.com. US$30 per night, incl. breakfast (very large nice room, friendly staff).

That's good news. Thanks for the report.

Wonderful news..

May I ask about 'no requirements', was there anything to do with the plane ticket..like.. perhaps.. Got to show them..the plane ticket? and may I also ask about the 'red Penang stamp', was it the one that said no more or the warning one... (my BF got the warning but with the written 'final' just above the vice consulate signature on TV sticker...which is weird so I kind of just try to understand how to envisage the vague possibility somehow..)

Thanks if you could please tell me little bit more..

Thanks 'siffdog'

Wonderful news..

May I ask about 'no requirements', was there anything to do with the plane ticket..like.. perhaps.. Got to show them..the plane ticket? and may I also ask about the 'red Penang stamp', was it the one that said no more or the warning one... (my BF got the warning but with the written 'final' just above the vice consulate signature on TV sticker...which is weird so I kind of just try to understand how to envisage the vague possibility somehow..)

Thanks 'siffdog'

Hazeli, you're the only one who has reported a "final" hand written on a tourist visa. Is it possible that you could scan and post it so we could all have a look? There's been a number of red warning stamp scans posted on here...but yours seems to be something new.

1) No, the info about the plane and hotel was additional. As I said ... no requirements at all.

2) My red stamp had the wording 'The consulate may not accept your application next time'. As I simply didn't take the risk, I was never sent away with a 'do not apply at Penang again' and 30 days ....

3) I submitted my application on a Thursday. Noting the ease of getting a DETR, I assume any day of the week is OK.

One of my friend got a TV with Red stamp from Penang.

Now she is going to try for TV at Vientiane.

She has 3 TV from Penang in total (last one with Red stamp), she had several VOA in between TV.

Does she have a chance to get TV in Vientiane?

My friend got Double Entry Tourist Visa at Vientiane.

(She had a TV with red stamp from Penang.)

Wonderful news..

Thanks 'siffdog'

Hazeli, you're the only one who has reported a "final" hand written on a tourist visa. Is it possible that you could scan and post it so we could all have a look? There's been a number of red warning stamp scans posted on here...but yours seems to be something new.

Hi Tropo…

I tried to insert images on the reply page..but failed to understand how it works .

So if you could please take a little time to glance through the Member gallery “TV sticker” that ‘s where I can upload them. Sorry about this.

And may I correct where the ‘final’ was written_ it’s at the right bottom of the TV sticker. Please accept my apology…I should have checked it before I replied..( I read and post on the forum on my own.. he doesn’t agree with the computer ) I don’t have the scanner so I tried with the phone…I hope it’s okay.

Thanks for everything,

Have a phenomenon moment..

Hi Tropo…

I tried to insert images on the reply page..but failed to understand how it works .

So if you could please take a little time to glance through the Member gallery “TV sticker” that ‘s where I can upload them. Sorry about this.

And may I correct where the ‘final’ was written_ it’s at the right bottom of the TV sticker. Please accept my apology…I should have checked it before I replied..( I read and post on the forum on my own.. he doesn’t agree with the computer ) I don’t have the scanner so I tried with the phone…I hope it’s okay.

Thanks for everything,

Hi Hazeli,

I saw your uploads...thanks.

I can see the "FINAL" written down the bottom of the visa. Perhaps they were writing this by hand before the changed the red-stamp wording to "do not apply for a tourist visa in Penang again"...or something to that effect.

I couldn't make out the wording of the red warning stamp on your visa...what was it?

I'll attach your photos here.

post-34982-1201018697.jpgpost-34982-1201018712.jpgpost-34982-1201018723.jpg

Edited by tropo

Hi Tropo…

Thanks for everything,

Hi Hazeli,

I saw your uploads...thanks.

I can see the "FINAL" written down the bottom of the visa. Perhaps they were writing this by hand before the changed the red-stamp wording to "do not apply for a tourist visa in Penang again"...or something to that effect.

I couldn't make out the wording of the red warning stamp on your visa...what was it?

Hi Tropo,

The red warning stamp said 4 TV and may not get another...and it was sometime in Oct 07..

I agree with you about the 'changing of written to a stamp'...however as much as I have tried to be optimistic..the reality is people's mind can inevitibly translate the 'effect' into different levels of treatment (as in his case...final )

Anyhow...for me I come to grip with one of the fact about the rules in that money and know the right fellow...tend to pave the way (he doesn't have much of neither...) blah..blah.. (sorry..)

Well.. I am looking forward to learn of you and your girlfriend's trip to Vientiane...it's still a bit cool there I suppose... hope it's not too dusty..

Much appreciation to your reply... have a thoughtful weekend..

Hi Tropo,

The red warning stamp said 4 TV and may not get another...and it was sometime in Oct 07..

I agree with you about the 'changing of written to a stamp'...however as much as I have tried to be optimistic..the reality is people's mind can inevitibly translate the 'effect' into different levels of treatment (as in his case...final )

Anyhow...for me I come to grip with one of the fact about the rules in that money and know the right fellow...tend to pave the way (he doesn't have much of neither...) blah..blah.. (sorry..)

Well.. I am looking forward to learn of you and your girlfriend's trip to Vientiane...it's still a bit cool there I suppose... hope it's not too dusty..

Much appreciation to your reply... have a thoughtful weekend..

Just a quick word as I've just returned from my trip and I'm tired.

3 of us just returned from Vientiane and we all got double entry TV's including my girlfriend who had a red warning stamp from Penang.

Laos visa fee: New Zealand passport = $31, US passport = $36, Filipino = free

More information to follow.....

after seeing this i checked my passport and i got also the handwritten 'FINAL' note on my visa sticker, and the much talked about red stamp of course, on my third penang TR visa.

didn't noticed it before but now i guess that the 'FINAL' is nothing unusual and comes always together with the red stamp in penang.

anyway, i went this week to apply for a Non-ED in vientiane. got it. the red stamp was no problem.

i wrote a longer trip report to vientiane in an other thread.

was nice and easy, around the same expenses and time required like on the former trips to penang.

i wish the other and future visa runners that the vientiane embassy continue the way like they do it right now. with all these positive reports i guess there will be an increase of applicants in the next months. hand out double entry TR-visas reduce their work load.

Can I check - does anyone know? Can I go to Vientiane and get a Multi entry Non Immigrant O visa?

I am Australian. 37 years old. Married to a Thai. Have a baby on the way with ultrasound pics and could get paper from Dr to say it is mine if necessary.

I basically want to save myself the cost of flying to Australia and also want to spend the minimum time away from home and away from taking care of my wife. She is due in another month and a bit.

I had a multi entry non immigrant o visa last year but it has recently run out and now i am just here on a free 30 day entry stamp.

Thanks for your help and thanks for this report.

just to add

just been pm and asked about the agent i used, and why and how much and is he safe? well you never 100% sure but heres my thoughts

agent outside the gates to the right at a food stall, he approached me so ill presume he would you if you go near the food stall.was safe for me, bit worring sure giving your passport and money to a dodgy looking geezer but ask questions you know he cant do then should he lie hes gonna take ya to cleaners any way!

just sort of say can i have a 6 month and if he gives you back passport laughing you know your on right track.

definatly increased chances, when you look on here people going on a monday etc and getting a kb, that gezzer is making money from his result now he is friends with the guys in office at least and prob giving a bung to em so if a bit of paper work is just not right they have the ability and incentive to make it work.

yep i did pay him some money about 400 bhat for running into a office, good money for him sure, but flip the coin if i hadnt got exactly what i wanted then i had wasted a lot more!

i have posted his no somewhere might be on website but if ya cant find it let me know, but you shouldnt have any problems mate, good luck for jan

chris

I just want to make an important update here.

There are no longer any vendors outside the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. They've all been moved out to comply with new regulations. The street outside the Embassy is totally bare apart from some tuk tuks on the opposite side of the street. You can't even buy a bottle of water so don't forget to bring some.

There are still a few people walking around offering application forms and to fill them in for you for 100 baht. They'll also provide you with a photocopy of your passport ID page if you don't have one.

Can I check - does anyone know? Can I go to Vientiane and get a Multi entry Non Immigrant O visa?

I am Australian. 37 years old. Married to a Thai. Have a baby on the way with ultrasound pics and could get paper from Dr to say it is mine if necessary.

I basically want to save myself the cost of flying to Australia and also want to spend the minimum time away from home and away from taking care of my wife. She is due in another month and a bit.

I had a multi entry non immigrant o visa last year but it has recently run out and now i am just here on a free 30 day entry stamp.

Thanks for your help and thanks for this report.

Have not seen recent reports of multi entry being issued at Vientiane. Penang and KL are maybe and Singapore with proof of 400k bank deposit seem to be the local options. If you have 40k per month family income you could check on extension of stay from Immigration.