Vientiane Laos for Thai Visa

I just want to make an important update here.

There are no longer any vendors outside the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. They've all been moved out to comply with new regulations. The street outside the Embassy is totally bare apart from some tuk tuks on the opposite side of the street. You can't even buy a bottle of water so don't forget to bring some.

There are still a few people walking around offering application forms and to fill them in for you for 100 baht. They'll also provide you with a photocopy of your passport ID page if you don't have one.

those people with the forms will run and get our copies made? i didn't know that, and walked to a copyshop to make my own copies. it's fairly close by and since i walked from my guesthouse anyway, i didn't care (place on same side of street as consulate, walk in the direction of the concrete-monstrosity-arch-monument). good to know the service is available.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lopburi - thanks for your answer. But, sorry, I am confused again. Not hard when it comes to the law and visas.

What is the 400 000 Baht for? Hmmm, last Non Immigrant Visa I got in Brisbane - they were not at all interested in bank details. Just that I was married.

Do I need the 400 000 Baht? Do I need it to be in a Thai bank? Do I need to have proof of it there for an extended period? Sorry - I know you answer these questions all the time and must be sick of them - but I just don't seem to be able to keep track of the rules.

As they say for us Americans "you ain't in Kansas". And you are not in Brisbane. You will not obtain a multi entry from Singapore without proof of 400k in a bank account (does not have to be baht or in Thailand). Penang will ask for bank account information but unclear what amount they want to see. KL seems to sometimes issue without and sometimes not issue at all.

Thanks for that answer. I hope you haven't disappeared for the night. I would certainly rather go to Singapore than Brisbane. How do you prove that you have money in a bank account? I think I may have some old bank statements. Or should I ask the bank to send a new one? Or???? Print out an ATM slip or???

(Just out of interest - any chance of getting same visa in Philippines or Indonesia or Phnom Penh or China? Places I haven't visited - might as well make a quick trip of it and see something new if I have to go - although do wish to get home pretty quickly)

Thanks again for your help.

I would not try any of those options. Singapore will accept up until one month old at last report. If you can print from internet that would probably be accepted. If not Singapore would only suggest Penang and KL in the SEA area.

I too am happy to report a double TV from Vientianne,and enjoyed

my stay.Nice people in Laos.

Hey Chris,did you ever think your original thread would go on this long? :o

mel2surf

I hope this thread stays alive with continuous reports until my next visa run...another 6-8 months down the track.

I too am happy to report a double TV from Vientianne,and enjoyed

my stay.Nice people in Laos.

Hey Chris,did you ever think your original thread would go on this long? :o

mel2surf

I hope this thread stays alive with continuous reports until my next visa run...another 6-8 months down the track.

Good idea

In order to top up with the 30 day ext. at Jomtien do we need to

show a ticket to Timbuktu in addition to paying the 1900 baht now?

cheers

mel2surf

In late December my GF and I went there to get extensions. We both had tickets to show. We sat at adjacent counters. They kept my GF's ticket but didn't even want to see mine.

Who knows what they will do from one week to the next, but to play it safe I suggest having a ticket on hand.

Got my X2 in Vientiane today after applying for it yesterday. No questions asked, no problem to get the X2, just had to pay the 2000 baht. Already had a 30 day stamp from Vientiane, 60+30 day visa from Penang and 60+30 day visa from Hong Kong.

Got my X2 in Vientiane today after applying for it yesterday. No questions asked, no problem to get the X2, just had to pay the 2000 baht. Already had a 30 day stamp from Vientiane, 60+30 day visa from Penang and 60+30 day visa from Hong Kong.

Thanks for reporting.

Just got back to Phuket after my visa trip to laos..ill give a quick run down.

Arrived at the Thai mebassy at about 9:30am....was not many people there i had the form already filled out after printing it off the embassy website, i lined up in the outdoor area for about 10mins to drop my passport off, then had to wait inside the small airconditioned room for maybe 25-30mins in order to pay for the visa as there were maybe 30 other ppl in front of me who had arrived earlier and dropped theyre passports off....my name was called and 2000B was paid for the 2x entry visa..i then arrived at 1pm the following day and there were maybe 25 ppl in the line and the gate was not yet open to the embassy, a few mins later the gates opened and i was in line for about 10minutes and then picked up my passport with the new 2x entry tourist visa in it, pretty smooth process and trouble free...although when arriving back at the hotel i noticed they had spelt my surname wrong down in the bottom section of the visa with all the numbers (TH..name here..>>23637>>>) so i returned to the embassy this was maybe 1:45 and there were no tourists in the whole complex i walked straight up and they corrected it with a pen and put a consulate stamp on top of the correction and then i was off...so all in all not too bad but remember to check and double check your visa to make sure everything is correct!!!!

Everyone i spoke to who applied for 2x was granted them no questions asked. i had 2x previous double entry visa's in my passport along with a whole bunch of burma stamps and they didnt mind at all.

Second week of February and all's well in Vientiane. I wonder how long this will last?

Anyone notice how quiet these good news threads are? Not an "anti-abuser" in sight. :o

Edited by tropo

Second week of February and all's well in Vientiane. I wonder how long this will last?

Anyone notice how quiet these good news threads are? Not an "anti-abuser" in sight. :o

Indeed .. pleasant threads .. actual report .. no name calling .. boundaries have conditioned the way we travel the values we cling upon and dualistic whirlpool of right-wrong attitudes only make us conform to the system, the system which is set forth by whomever in power.. I wish to say -may the travelers survive these unfortunate conditioning with an intact senses of traveler.

Hi

Sorry t trouble you but I will be going Vientaine next week -- It was easy to get the double entry? -- What was the cost and what documents did u need to supply?

Is it still possibel to get a Laos visa at the boarder?

Thanks for ur help

Finlaco

Every person I spoke to in line who put '2 Entry' was given it without a bank book.

Your results may vary, but that's what happened on Monday the 17th and Tuesday the 18th.

Good Luck. ..

P/S: I attached (or tried to) the correct visa form for use at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane, this is the weblink;

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/img/visa.pdf

Is it possible to use this downloaded visa form at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane ?

Just got back from Vientiane and received a double entry tourist visa. I flew from BKK to VT on Lao Air. Arriving in VT I applied for the Visa on Arrival, you can't miss it as there is a huge sign with arrow pointing to the visa desk right when you enter the airport. It seemed that everyone else on the place had the same thought so I ended up waiting in line for about 20 minutes. Next time I'll get the visa at the consulate in BKK to avoid waiting in line.

Next day arrived at the Thai embassy around 10:30 AM to about 50 people already in line. I noticed that quiet a number of people didn't have their paperwork in order. More than one person was told they could not be issued a visa for what ever reason but I also noticed that when said person started to make fuss the Thai immigration officer usually gave in. Same thing paying for the visa inside the room. I saw many people didn't have Baht and wanted to pay with dollars and usually after a bit of a fuss the immigration officer let them. I went to pick up my passport the next day around 2:00PM and there was maybe 5 other people waiting.

I was surprised at how easy going the immigration staff were considering the STACK of passports I saw them working on.