Thailand To Bid For 2016 Games?

george

Thailand to bid for 2016 Games?

BANGKOK: -- Flushed with pride after its most successful Olympics with three gold medals in the bag, Thailand plans to bid for the 2016 Games, according to a newspaper report yesterday.

'The plan will cost many billions of baht but the price is worth paying,' Tourism and Sports Minister Sontaya Kunplome was quoted as saying in The Nation newspaper.

Two Thai women won weightlifting golds in Athens - sparking an immediate boom at health clubs across the country - while boxer Manus Boonjumnong added another gold yesterday morning (Singapore time).

A parade will be held in Bangkok for its returning athletes with medal winners awarded handsome cash prizes.

But any bid by Thailand to host the Games in 2016 would be fraught with difficulty - notably because of traffic problems in the Thai capital - despite the kingdom's growing confidence through surging economic growth and its increasing role on the regional stage.

Thailand hosted the Asian Games in 1998 but its latest attempt for a major sporting coup - a government-backed bid to invest in English Premiership football club Liverpool, has failed to bear fruit.

But yesterday, all of Thailand cheered when Manus became the country's only male athlete to win a gold at the Athens Games.

The moment he became Olympic champion was almost too much for him. After his victory, Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej Boonjumnong called to congratulate him.

Manus listened for a few minutes, so emotional that he was able to only give one-word answers to his king.

'I fought for my king, who urged me to be strong in my final bout,' said the boxer, who beat Cuban Yudel Johnson 17-11 in a light-welterweight bout.

'I dedicate the gold medal to my family and to all the people of Thailand. And, of course, to the king.'

He made sure the powerful Cuban team would not tie their record of seven golds in Barcelona by beating Johnson in a tactical bout that had the Cuban team and its fans upset.

The Cubans booed when Manus took the podium to accept his gold medal, still upset over the scoring of the bout.

Manus, who had urged fans back home to watch him fight on television at his family's home to encourage the spirits of the house to help him win, built up a lead in the early rounds and protected it in the fourth round.

The victory continued a streak of three straight Olympics where Thais have won gold.

-- AFP, AP

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear that Manus is now goling to enter the 5,000 metres in the next Olympics, after his display in the final round of the boxing contest during which time he showed the other boxer a "clean pair of heels".

No wonder the fight fans " booed" Manus after the decision and when on the podium.

I'm all for a boxer showing his skill in getting out of the way, ducking and weaving as it were, showing proper pugalistic skills but running around the ring like Manus did was less than pathetic, it was cowardly.

The cost of the Greek Olympics, according to the NY Times

Government estimates over the past two weeks have put the price tag for the Olympics at nearly $10 billion. Officials have yet to make public a breakdown of the costs, other than to say that the bill for police training, bonuses, surveillance equipment and other security items is expected to come to at least $1.2 billion.

2016 in Thailand?? No problem!! Just have a special lottery and sell "shares" so that all Thais can feel they own part of the Olympics. :o

The cost of the Greek Olympics, according to the NY Times
Government estimates over the past two weeks have put the price tag for the Olympics at nearly $10 billion. Officials have yet to make public a breakdown of the costs, other than to say that the bill for police training, bonuses, surveillance equipment and other security items is expected to come to at least $1.2 billion.

2016 in Thailand?? No problem!! Just have a special lottery and sell "shares" so that all Thais can feel they own part of the Olympics. :D

Sell out the targeted quota of Elite Cards and it's ~$25 billion dollars US in the coffers. That's probably enough extra dosh that Thailand could also afford to host the 2014 or 2018 Winter Olympics in addition to the 2016 Summer Games! :o

My seven-year-old watched the swimming, then rushed out to start practicing. Laudable, but very much a seven-year-old.

Previous marriage - my stepson, somewhat like a seven-year-old although fourteen, watched a golf championship, then stole some of my sister's clubs and went out to a field to practice. Not so laudable, but very much like a seven-year-old.

The government of Thailand should not be composed of seven-year-olds, however, but by grown adults who are responsible for the welfare and best interests of the citizens who elect them.

Welll aren't we a sarcastic and caustic group! :o If this is what comes with that non-resident O I guess I'll stick with the tourist visas......

What does it take to host an Olympic venue? A strong sense of nationalism and the resolve to spend the money to scratch that itch on the international theatre. Does anyone really doubt that the Thai can get behind a long term project if it will show great face on the international scene?

I'm betting there are a few dozen national tourism ministers throughout the world saying the same thing right now. there is nothing inherently wrong with visions of grandeur if it helps the nation involved in the long run. Of course the bleeding liberals out there will talk about a poor nation which should spend the money on infrastructure and social welfare first. The same could be said for Greece or China. But don't piss on their parade before they even have a chance to offer some viable options. Wouldn't this fit the longterm plan of building another family oriented tourist destination south of Bangkok? Wouldn't a new international airport coming online in 2006 help this? And wouldn't this create the impetis to finally act decisively on mass transit in the Bangkok metro area?

Thailand has the financial ability to do it and no lack of national pride. It might be sad to see the pinapple groves south of Bangkok lost to an Olympic Village but surely there have been stranger notions put out by a Thai government before.....??

~WISteve

Welll aren't we a sarcastic and caustic group!  If this is what comes with that non-resident O I guess I'll stick with the tourist visas......
What does it take to host an Olympic venue? A strong sense of nationalism and the resolve to spend the money to scratch that itch on the international theatre. Does anyone really doubt that the Thai can get behind a long term project if it will show great face on the international scene?

I'm betting there are a few dozen national tourism ministers throughout the world saying the same thing right now. there is nothing inherently wrong with visions of grandeur if it helps the nation involved in the long run. Of course the bleeding liberals out there will talk about a poor nation which should spend the money on infrastructure and social welfare first. The same could be said for Greece or China. But don't piss on their parade before they even have a chance to offer some viable options. Wouldn't this fit the longterm plan of building another family oriented tourist destination south of Bangkok? Wouldn't a new international airport coming online in 2006 help this? And wouldn't this create the impetis to finally act decisively on mass transit in the Bangkok metro area?

Thailand has the financial ability to do it and no lack of national pride. It might be sad to see the pinapple groves south of Bangkok lost to an Olympic Village but surely there have been stranger notions put out by a Thai government before.....??

We'll aint that a tourist perspective :D:o:D

Sure they Can do it... dreaaaaammm dream dream dream dreeeaaammm..

Sorry just a spontaneous song in my head every time i read this thai gov crap....

Oh, pssssssst, here is another do dadddddd. Suppose Thailand between now and then has any expats left, and if their economy doesn't go bust besides having to donate to the Olympic committee x amount of baht if affordable and so on and if whatchamacalit is still around Toxin.

The odds that it will be held in Thailand, in 2016 is like 100 billion to one. Maybe they might get the worldly calling in around 2050 give or take, because by then everyone will have had at least one Olympic showdown under their belts. By that time the cost will be like maybe 500 billion to sponsor the event. I am sure Thailand will have it by then and be able to convert their gold into cash.

Daveyo

Welll aren't we a sarcastic and caustic group! :o  If this is what comes with that non-resident O  I guess I'll stick with the tourist visas......

~WISteve

I agree that this foum is overwhelmingly negative. You can get some useful information, but it is depressing to read the posts of people who sarcastically demean a place they live. I suppose you don't have to like it here if the sex is cheap and you can strut like a tycoon.

But I don't think the Olympics is a wise investment for a developing nation. I didn't support my own country hosting them, and all its subsequent bids, because with all the pluses and minus, and there are many of both, it comes down to what you are willing to spend to inflate your national ego for two weeks.

Well I see no reason why Thailand couldn't hold a successful Olympics, and the real benefit would be to tourism afterwards with the world's viewers having seen images of Thailand for 2 weeks.

I'm more concerned about London's bid for the 2012 Olympics. You'd have thought the Brits would have learnt their lesson with the Millenium Dome but no. Somehow the new Wembley is going to cost more than all ten stadia built for the Portugal 2004 European football championship! Something is rotten in the UK.

Well I see no reason why Thailand couldn't hold a successful Olympics, and the real benefit would be to tourism afterwards with the world's viewers having seen images of Thailand for 2 weeks.

I'm more concerned about London's bid for the 2012 Olympics. You'd have thought the Brits would have learnt their lesson with the Millenium Dome but no. Somehow the new Wembley is going to cost more than all ten stadia built for the Portugal 2004 European football championship! Something is rotten in the UK.

Okay, to you and others who complain about all the negativity, that's not what its about. Its about experience.

We hear about these giant plans all the time. Thailand will be the trade hub of the region. Bangkok will be the Milan of the East (then the Ministry of Culture threatens Thai models for corrupting the youth). Phuket will be an IT centre (then it rains and your 10,000 baht a month 512k DSL goes down for a day). Fully a million people will rush to buy $25,000 Elite cards in just one year (okay, so maybe only a couple dozen). And now, in just 12 years they will be ready to host the Olympics. KL, if not for security concerns, sure. Bangkok, or anywhere else in Thailand, no way.

Its great to have dreams, but Thailand needs to take small steps and slowly work their way up. Start solving the smaller problems and slowly Thailand might take the face of the country all the government envisions.

you couldn't half see this coming.

but to be fair there is probably dozens of sports ministers in dozens of countries trying to cash in on the popular moments.

first salvo in the mission to take thais thoughts away from the bangkok election

More likely another human rights travesty in the offing ....... like what's going to happen to all those Hmong who don't get USA entries?

However, maybe Chiangmai could host the 2014 or 2018 winter olympics?

By then we will have the ski slope in the Doi Suthep national park and all that Japanese tea money could pay for hosting the event. We'll also have spent billions on ring road, outer ring road, outer outer ring road and the new 500 metre wide highway down the western irrigation canal between the university and night safari park - so that could be iced over and used for the speed skating.

We already have two ice rinks and many new 4-5 star resorts and hotels are being built, plus we have the 700 year and ASEAN Games stadiums - so we're half way there.

Now we only need to repeat Christmasd 1999's weather and it'll be cold enough for ski-ing on Doi Intanon

:o:D:D:D

If it hadn't been announced now, just as the games are finished, I might believe it.

After all, Bangkok is one of the larger cities in Asia, and if Thailand is willing to pay for the stadiums, and the infrastructure involved, it probably would be on the shortlist when the IOC decides it's Asia's turn again.

Admittedly, Asia only seems to get the games every 20 years or so. (Tokyo 64, Seoul 88, Beijing 08 ), so 2024/2028 is probably more likely. And for anyone who is going to naysay Thailand holding it then, Athens wasn't exactly a model city in terms of traffic congestion, etc. They even had their own terrorist group killing people in the city, and they still got to hold the games, and did a decent job of it...

I'd also be inclined to believe that Thailand would make a better job of hosting the games (even if only to avoid losing face), than London would. Bangkok is far more likely to build infrastructure specifically for the games, where the UK will try and muddle through until it is conclusively proven that muddling through doesn't work.

For anyone who disagrees with me - can I just say - Channel Tunnel Rail Link. - How long has the tunnel been open? - The French high-speed link existed when the tunnel opened... - The UK link is still not done.

wow! :o

Bravo! Magnifico! Amazing, uplifting and all inspiring rhetoric as to the ability of the Thai people. :D

Some of the best work I have seen on these forums to date. Near Pulitzer material! :D

Commentary so, how does one say, loaded with pinche (Spanish) hypercyniism as well as expressive, my s**t don’t stink, gratuitous and astute observations! :D

So, So, EU like, with, I might add, just a touch of the ugly yank for critical sound bite driven opinionated seasoning and flavor!

I am constantly amazed at the magnitude of Thailand’s Fahrang population’ s self- perfection and opinioned enlightenment when it comes to the Thai people.

Particularly as it is so often expressed as to flagellate Thai society and the Thai people who, by their grace, allow such loving and respectful guests to share their way of life.

God forbid, the Thai’s would lose their interest in English, have a non-debauchery driven economy and do things that western societies do.

Commentary which is nearly all, with a few exceptions, condescendingly voiced in sound bite drive responses that are creatively motivated by inpatient, instant gratification driven cultural biases triumph lily rolled out, way to often, as a barrage of opinionated sarcasm intended or implied as belittlement of Thai pride, aspiration and ambition.

Belittlement, I might add, which, in prima fascia reality, is actually more a reflective of the small mindedness and real lowbrow human character of the purveyors of such sarcastic and divinely narcissistic commentary.

As if in prayer, in advance, thank, whom it may concern, for the platitudes I am about to receive! :D

These forums, I have learned, are exceedingly fertile narcissistic grounds to sew the seeds I seek to harvest!

That is all!