Where To Buy A Bicycle

noise

I want to buy an average bicycle for casual riding that will let me adjust the seat high enough such that my legs pretty are much extended at the bottom of the pedal cycle. I am 6'2" and have 31"-32" legs. What I have found so far leave me with legs at what seems like a 70-80 degrees position on the down stroke, and these are nice bikes (i.e., costing 3000-5000 baht).

And then, if I do find one with a high seat, I want to be able to lift the handle bars up so I am fairly erect and don't have all my upper body weight riding on my hands.

Does anyone know where I might find such a bike, preferrably near Mae Jo (but anywhere will do)?

I am not familiar with your area so this is just general advice. I take it that you have seen these 'nice bikes' in your local supermarket. The average Thai is shorter than the average Westerner and the supermarkets tend to go in for the 'one size fits all' policy.

If you were interested in buying a small car - Jazz, Yaris or similar - and you saw an unknown brand with similar specs for less than half the price, what would your reaction be? "That's a good price, I'll get one." or 'Whoa, that's cheap, what's wrong with it?" 3000 to 5000 Baht for a bike puts it almost in the disposable category: if it breaks down, just leave it and buy a new one. What happens if it breaks down and throws you under a bus - how cheap is it then?

At 6'2", I doubt if you will find a bike to fit you in a supermarket. There are different formulas for working out the correct bike size for you.

There are cyclists who know the area and can point you in the direction of an LBS (Local Bike Shop) who will give you good advice on which bike to choose. You want one for casual riding so you will not need full suspension, bells, whistling and all singing and dancing. I have my road bike out here and I also bought a Trek 3900 as a 'hack' - well known make with a decent spec. and it cost me 8500 Baht at ProBike in Bangkok and I would recommend it.

Now a word of caution - be careful of the 'cycling bug'! When you get infected by it, there is no known cure. You may think that you are only going for casual rides but soon you'll be in lycra, talking in gear ratios and logging all your rides. Do not worry, it's not a bad bug to have!

Hi all - my first post - been an avid reader decided to finally join in..

I recently purchased 2 new mountain bikes from Chaitawat Bikeshop, did the usual rounds at all the other shops & for me, found the owner & assorted ladies there friendly & knowledgeable.

I required a larger frame also, got a Merida 2008 model with 20" frame. The other bike for the girlfriend..

They gave me a great price including various accessories, even delivered both bikes free of charge.

Happy riding, the weather is great now!

Hi all - my first post - been an avid reader decided to finally join in..

I recently purchased 2 new mountain bikes from Chaitawat Bikeshop, did the usual rounds at all the other shops & for me, found the owner & assorted ladies there friendly & knowledgeable.

I required a larger frame also, got a Merida 2008 model with 20" frame. The other bike for the girlfriend..

They gave me a great price including various accessories, even delivered both bikes free of charge.

Happy riding, the weather is great now!

I'll second the Chaitawat recommendation. They have a nice selection of low end mountain bikes n all sizes, costing anywhere's from 7,000 to 15,000 baht. Anything less than that is just a toy, not a bicycle. The other shops linked by Rice King all have an even better selection of higher priced bikes. (btw, it's not impossible to spend 300,000 baht on a top end road bike.) Note that little English is spoken at Chaitawat.

Yep, Chaitawat has some good uns.

Top Gear will try and sell you a complete satellite system even if you just want a water bottle, although nice enough guy.

Avoid Jackie Bikes like the plague - first class w*nker and doesn't like fixing things under warranty.

Give the supermarkets a wide berth, too.

:o

Top Gear will try and sell you a complete satellite system even if you just want a water bottle, although nice enough guy.

Avoid Jackie Bikes like the plague - first class w*nker and doesn't like fixing things under warranty.

Chittawat has the best prices but not the widest selection. Top gear speaks good english but really high prices and narrow selection. Jacky bike is difficult because they really only speak thai but by far the best high quality selection of stuff and best high end mechanic abilities. Jacky has better prices for parts than Top gear by a country mile. It's just hard to communicate with him...

The way I do it is to try Chittawat first and if they don't have it then ask if they can order it... If so they they will have the best price. I can always get what I want at Jacky bike because if they don't stock it then they can order it and get it.... Case in point Egg Beater pedal cleats at 450 baht or various SRAM disk brake parts. Better than prices in the states. If I am desperate or need to articulate a point in english then will consider Top Gear as the guy is from Canada... Will pay for it in higher price and attitude though.

Chittawat has the best prices but not the widest selection. Top gear speaks good english but really high prices and narrow selection. Jacky bike is difficult because they really only speak thai but by far the best high quality selection of stuff and best high end mechanic abilities. Jacky has better prices for parts than Top gear by a country mile. It's just hard to communicate with him...

The way I do it is to try Chittawat first and if they don't have it then ask if they can order it... If so they they will have the best price. I can always get what I want at Jacky bike because if they don't stock it then they can order it and get it.... Case in point Egg Beater pedal cleats at 450 baht or various SRAM disk brake parts. Better than prices in the states. If I am desperate or need to articulate a point in english then will consider Top Gear as the guy is from Canada... Will pay for it in higher price and attitude though.

Chittawat may not have aa great selection of components, accessories or high end bikes but the original poster seemed to be looking for something one step up from Lotus or Carrefour. That's not what I would go to Jacky for.

chaitawat is great, and they can order anything - best price in chiang mai, and I am yet to find any cheaper shops in bangkok. for a budget bike try the bike shop 50m down the street from Top Gear, LA bike dealer - great sortiment for a cheap price if that is what you are looking for. ... in regards of Top Gear, total rip-off in all aspects - if you want to speak english you're better off paying an english tutor, example - a fork quoted at 19k at Chaitawat was priced 26k at Top Gear - you do the math.

Edited by kash

It's not that, it's just the guy is dishonourable and doesn't give a sh1t about you. Chaitawat, on the other hand, is a really nice bloke and has a good enough range for someone who simply needs a bigger frame and doesn't need the thing modifying to send it into orbit :D .

• 2 months later...

It's not that, it's just the guy is dishonourable and doesn't give a sh1t about you. Chaitawat, on the other hand, is a really nice bloke and has a good enough range for someone who simply needs a bigger frame and doesn't need the thing modifying to send it into orbit :D .

jackr,

What wouldn't Jacky Bike do for your bike (under warranty)? Went there twice to have a full service (except a cleaning) and they did a good, fast, and relatively inexpensive job (including the parts). The shop is kind of cramped tho'....

how is THB13,800 for a TREK 4300 disc brake?? looks really nice. any experts?

Good bike, great price. I have no experience of disc brakes but various people have said that the mechanical ones are far better than hydraulic ones. If you do not intend to go off-roading, get smooth city type tyres rather than keep the knobblies on and see if you can fit slightly smaller ones - 26x1.5 as opposed to the supplied 26x2.1. You'll save about 35% of your energy when you use city type tyres and are quieter. I do not know your nationality but if you are British ask them to swap the brake cables over to right lever - front; left lever rear brake.

Good bike, great price. I have no experience of disc brakes but various people have said that the mechanical ones are far better than hydraulic ones. If you do not intend to go off-roading, get smooth city type tyres rather than keep the knobblies on and see if you can fit slightly smaller ones - 26x1.5 as opposed to the supplied 26x2.1. You'll save about 35% of your energy when you use city type tyres and are quieter. I do not know your nationality but if you are British ask them to swap the brake cables over to right lever - front; left lever rear brake.

Mr Hippo, thats what I thought after reading so many good reviews about it. Almost everyone who owns this bike is happy with it. i'll go get it tomorrow then. i do intend to do some off road riding so i'll leave the tyres on.

Mr Hippo, i am surprised to read your comment on cable discs being better than hydraulic. I have been an avid user of disc brakes for the past 6 years. Cable will in my opinion never be as hydraulic if the hydraulic ones are set up correctly. This is basically due to cable stretch which is, (with current technology), unavoidable. A good quality set of V-brakes will work just as effectively as a mechanical disc. Hydraulic discs have more power and modulation than a cable system could ever dream of. But as you and i both know personal preferences are more important than anything when it comes to bikes.

p.s. any update on your countrywide tour?

Nidge.

Mr Hippo, i am surprised to read your comment on cable discs being better than hydraulic. I have been an avid user of disc brakes for the past 6 years. Cable will in my opinion never be as hydraulic if the hydraulic ones are set up correctly. This is basically due to cable stretch which is, (with current technology), unavoidable. A good quality set of V-brakes will work just as effectively as a mechanical disc. Hydraulic discs have more power and modulation than a cable system could ever dream of. But as you and i both know personal preferences are more important than anything when it comes to bikes.

p.s. any update on your countrywide tour?

Nidge.

I think there is a really nice performance jump from V-Brakes to Mechanical disk. The caveat though is to go with a good setup. The Avid BB-7 is a big jump up from V-brakes. More stopping power and most importantly its easier to modulate the braking force. With V-Brakes its on or off and with a disc its much quicker to apply braking force and adjust it delicately.

Good hydraulic brakes are the best but usually a weight penalty and more complex maintenance issues.

I think there is a really nice performance jump from V-Brakes to Mechanical disk. The caveat though is to go with a good setup. The Avid BB-7 is a big jump up from V-brakes. More stopping power and most importantly its easier to modulate the braking force. With V-Brakes its on or off and with a disc its much quicker to apply braking force and adjust it delicately.

Good hydraulic brakes are the best but usually a weight penalty and more complex maintenance issues.

I don't think the maintenance is an issue. I have used hydraulic disc brakes from Avid, hope and coda. They are almost maintenance free. I had to change the oil in my coda once and have of course changed pads. The oil change was a bit fiddly but less than an hour. No worries about dirt/mud in the cable housings. the inside of my gear cables need cleaning every month at least if i want to keep them running smooth, it's great not to have to do that with the brakes as well. But i do a lot of very muddy riding, if you are only riding on the roads it's less of an issue and anyway in that situation disc brakes are hardly worth the extra cost.

Nidge.

I have Avid BB7 mech discs on my Banshee Morphine and they work great. I also have different v brake set ups on my other bikes. I am not a fan of hydraulic disc brakes but to each his own. I don't like the thought of a fluid leak on a remote stretch of road or trail. I prefer to change my cables once a year and not worry about anything else going wrong with my mech discs. Avid mech discs allow you to adjust your pads without the need for any tools, that's another reason why I like them.

Mr Hippo, I also have a Trek 3900 and it's my favorite bike in my collection, it's also the cheapest bike in my collection, but it's the one I ride the most :o