Eating Etiquette...

Harry Palmer

what are the eating etiquettes in thailand? do thais have european manners or will i have to sit on the floor in a resturant? what do I need to remember while dining with respectable thai people?

also, if you've noticed that the bill seems to not add up, how would you say in thai, that you want the waitress to itemize the bill so you can see what all you ordered? i've heard that some waitresses will give you a total bill and add an extra few baht here and there.

Chopsticks only for noodles and Chinese and Japanese foods.

Spoon and forks the rest of the time. Use only the spoon to place food in the mouth, never the fork. Hands I guess for Issan food, but wait to see what the most senior person at the table is doing.

When ordering, assume that you what you order will be shared. Rice for everyone, and keep it coming - don't be stingy with it.

When it is all in the centre of the table, only take one or two spoonfuls from the centre dishes at a time and then place it on your rice. Combine, and then eat from your own place. Finish the portion you have taken before taking any more from elsewhere. In essence, the only thing that should be on your plate for any length of time is rice.

It's not really that polite to pick up the central dish and scrape enough onto your plate so it will last the entire meal. Reach over and get a spoonful or two of what you need. No more. Eat it, then get some more (one or two spoons only) if you wish. You can always order more if it runs out.

As for the bill, nothing wrong with checking it extensively. Thai chinese seem to examine it quite closely at all times. The bill usually comes itemised anyway, with the waiters/tress order book stapled with the final bill.

If you are the inviter, expect to pay. Amongst "respectable" Thai's, the most senior will pay.

If it is a casual meal amongst cloest friends, going dutch is fine.

Spoons and forks side by side on the plate when you are finished.

I was also told to keep my plate looking "neat"...

Keep the Rice at one third of the plate.. keep what I'm about to eat with it on another 1/3, and what I don't want to eat on the last 1/3.

And try not to knock rice off the plate!

Oh, and if you're with a bf/gf who doesn't earn much, and you're obviously the most "well-off" person there... expect to pay anyway.

ChrisP

Edited by ChrisP

Keep the Rice at one third of the plate.. keep what I'm about to eat with it on another 1/3, and what I don't want to eat on the last 1/3.

ChrisP

Oh, and if you're with a bf/gf who doesn't earn much, and you're obviously the most "well-off" person there... expect to pay anyway.

:o:D:D

Harry, are you bored today or something?

one minute you're a top notch teacher (maybe a bit of a pervo also :D ) and the next minute you're asking advice on how to eat your dinner (whilst keeping an eye on your itemised bill).

you keep me amused though. :D

Chopsticks only for noodles and Chinese and Japanese foods.

Spoon and forks the rest of the time. Use only the spoon to place food in the mouth, never the fork. Hands I guess for Issan food, but wait to see what the most senior person at the table is doing.

When ordering, assume that you what you order will be shared. Rice for everyone, and keep it coming - don't be stingy with it.

When it is all in the centre of the table, only take one or two spoonfuls from the centre dishes at a time and then place it on your rice. Combine, and then eat from your own place. Finish the portion you have taken before taking any more from elsewhere. In essence, the only thing that should be on your plate for any length of time is rice.

It's not really that polite to pick up the central dish and scrape enough onto your plate so it will last the entire meal. Reach over and get a spoonful or two of what you need. No more. Eat it, then get some more (one or two spoons only) if you wish. You can always order more if it runs out.

As for the bill, nothing wrong with checking it extensively. Thai chinese seem to examine it quite closely at all times. The bill usually comes itemised anyway, with the waiters/tress order book stapled with the final bill.

If you are the inviter, expect to pay. Amongst "respectable" Thai's, the most senior will pay.

If it is a casual meal amongst cloest friends, going dutch is fine.

Spoons and forks side by side on the plate when you are finished.

That is how it is done Follow that and you have no problems :o

ChrisP

:D:D:D

Harry, are you bored today or something?

one minute you're a top notch teacher (maybe a bit of a pervo also -_- ) and the next minute you're asking advice on how to eat your dinner (whilst keeping an eye on your itemised bill).

you keep me amused though. :wub:

davet... after spending many years perfecting the gentle art of teaching i forgot how to eat... i can't be an expert in evertything :D

i did stop on my way home last night to watch a couple of fat farangs eating at one of those outside noodle bars... had hoped to pick up a few tips but it only reminded me of two pigs eating from a trough :o

i always shy away from ordering any of the monkey dishes... just how does one eat a monkey? should they be accompanied with spoicy or sweet sauce?

01_table.jpg

ps... thats a pic. of dave & his family sitting down to dinner last night... yeah dave likes to wear girls jewelry :D

Ooh you nasty man, i was just feeding myself with a BK bit of chicken :o

at least the dogs are happy anyway, :D

i've just puked on my ladies bracelet :D

Am surprised that nobody has mentioned blowing their nose. For a foreigner it can be very hard not to do so when eating some 5 alarm Thai food but best to just wipe with the tissues. If you must blow do it softly.

Thai will notice this as much as we notice nose picking. :o