Bicycling Through The North East

eastbaybob

I'll be biking through the North East in October, BKK over to Mukdahan and part way back. I have no route and will figure one as I ride but am a little worried on accomidations. Do places like Satuk, Prasat, Suwannaphum, Phon Tong, or Wapi Phathum have hotels or any sort of accomadations? And I'm not very picky. These places are all have the same size font on my Michelin map which is a bold font. How about smaller places like non bold fonted towns between these cities, you think they'd have any places to stay?

I've posted this question n a couple of other boards, but lots of you seem to live there so you'd know the best. Thanks for you assistance. Bob

Suwannapum is just a small town .. no big hotels. They do have some very

small 10 room motels but they are very basic. No toilet seats, bed as hard as the floor. You would be better off riding through Roi Et and towns like that. They

have western hotels at around 900 baht a night. No swimming pool but you will

get a nice room, reasonable food and people will understand english.

Thanks for the replies. I sort of wanted to skip Surin, Buriram,Sisaket, and Ubon as they were on the last trip route. On this trip I thought it would be nice to cut across the NE without getting on big raods and skipping the larger cities.

As I sit here in my office reading about the hotel in Suwannapum I think "cool, I'm set there." Then I will get there and realize it is a complete shit hole, and wonder what I am doing there on vacation, when everyone else is at some beach down south eating lobster and fish. But I, my friends, will be experienciging the real Thailand. Yes, that will make it all worthwhile.

Wapi Pathum had a hotel of sorts last time I passed thru', but can't vouch for it's Michelin stars. Basically, every reasonable size Isaan district on a main road has a flop house of some kind, often with a karaoke / luk toong joint attached for added flavour. And then there is the rising cult of "resorts" - brand new to crumbling sets of bungalows in a semi-scenic spot in the countryside, often built with public monies by the local mobster with friends in the TAO (or head of said adminstration), who decides the local backend of Nakhon Nowhere should be cashing in on the Amazing/Unseen Thailand campaign to cover start up costs. After an initial razzle, the trickle of customers fades to a fine drizzle and the place goes to seed, but hey, it wasn't his money in the first place so he's not complaining.

Then there's also the short time "Love Inn" motels you could crash at, if you're really stuck for somewhere to stay and you;re within the Amphur Muang boundaries. dozens have appeared in the last two years, suggesting that the quick tryst after work is on the up and up, directly related to car ownership.

Good luck Bob on your pedal across Isaan and with an open heart attitude like that, you'll probably receive more than a few offers of accommodation, lao kao and somtam from the kind people of Isaan along the way, in exchange for a few hours of English teaching. The beer you have overlooking the Mekong in Mukdahan will be well earned. Chok dee! :o

Plachon, Thanks for the info thats sort of what I was hoping for. I've stayed at bad hotels before and thats not a problem, I mostly interested that there are hotels. I hadn't thought of staying with locals but that sounds like an idea also. I'm really looking forward to getting up there, thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

After months of thinking and planning I think I have eliminated all hotel worries. If all goes as planned I wil be spending nights in the following places in the north east, Chayaphum-Khon Kaen-Roi Et-Some city I can't remember-Mukdahan-Yasathon-Surin-and at this point I am not too sure where I will go, I have a page at a bicycle toruing website if you wish to read of the experiance, it is at www.laos.crazyguyonabike.com I plan to leave Nonthaburi on Oct. 9. Thanks for the help on hotels.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'll be biking through the North East in October, BKK over to Mukdahan and part way back.  I have no route and will figure one as I ride but am a little worried on accomidations.  Do places like Satuk, Prasat, Suwannaphum, Phon Tong, or Wapi Phathum have hotels or any sort of accomadations? And I'm not very picky.  These places are all have the same size font on my Michelin map which is a bold font.  How about smaller places like non bold fonted towns between these cities, you think they'd have any places to stay?

I've posted this question n a couple of other boards, but lots of you seem to live there so you'd know the best.  Thanks for you assistance.  Bob

Stickman had an article about cycling in Isaan. Just enter isaan or surin province into your search engine. That's how I came across it.