I've Quit On Dec 10th 2007

Tony Clifton

Well done Tony, I didn't even realise you'd quit !

I'm on day 6 of the 2011th time of quitting. I managed for a while after my daughter was born but I cracked when I had a beer. I was on about 0 to 5 a day if stress free, then 5-20 if a bad day and 20-40+ if I went out for a session. Never smoked in the house but I know for me the second week is the worst and that is when I tend to crack. Hopefully not this time.

Trouble is, I actually like smoking. Were it only for me, I would never think about stopping.

Edited by torrenova

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a friends wedding, had a few beers, felt drunk in no time as I rarely drink, stepped outside with a friend who wanted to smoke. After he lit up, I reached in to his shirt pocket, grabbed a smoke and asked for his lighter. He felt bad about it, I lit it and smoked it.

Man it tastes good when drunk. I'm sure it would have tasted bad sober.

That was on Feb 14th, two whole months after quitting.

I haven't smoked again since, no cravings afterwards.

I have to remember no to try that again, I think it's similar to russian roulette but the opposite as where only one smoker out of 6 will not do it again.

Edited by Tony Clifton

• 4 weeks later...
Nope, I don't use anything. The nicotine gum is too strong even at 2mg and only chewed for 20-30 seconds. I actually don't think the mild cravings necessitate any substitutes. I'm stronger and stronger every time I beat the cravings one by one, and, I find this time is so much easier mentally, the determination is very strong with a baby boy on the way, THE main reason for quitting.

Thanks all!

Best you change your main reason for quiting, It is great that you have quit, but after the baby is born, Are you going to start?

Now is the time to re-plant the seed that your main reason, is to live a healthy life and be around to see your son grow up, If your main reason is not for you, you could go back to the hel_l you just left, may the force be with you, Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Be the director of your movie and play the leading role

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Today is my 13 year anniversary for quitting drinking. Keep up the no smoking and know it can be done!

Wow, that's a respectable stretch. :o

7 months now. Some cravings lately, triggered by drinking coffee which I had given up also for quite a while. Zippin' through.

Keep on the path of health! Just want to be encouraging of your efforts. I really should give up coffee and I'm struggling with eating too much at the moment. It's great to hear stories of people such as yourself that are having success giving up something like smoking. My experience is that the cravings will decrease over time.

• 1 month later...

9 months in two days. Beating my old record from 20 some years ago.

Had a severe craving this morning after breakfast.

Shook it off by brushing my teeth.

I dreamed last night I was holding an unlit cigarette in my mouth and sucking on it.

I could actually taste the sweet Virginia tobacco through the filter like I used to do at work when I couldn`t smoke. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

I dreamed last night I was holding an unlit cigarette in my mouth and sucking on it.

Thats funny. The last few months , i have had a dream now and again . It was that i actually started smoking again. But when i wake up. I have no desire to have one. 9 months and going strong. Keep up the good work lads.

• 2 weeks later...