Please! No Sex On The Bus!

george

Bangkok bus service warns amorous students to behave themselves in back seats

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok transport officials posted notices on some of the city's buses Wednesday urging young passengers not to have sex while riding in the vehicles.

The Bangkok Mass Transit Authority came under fire from commuters this week after a study by an academic revealed that scores of colleges students were engaging in intercourse, usually in the rear seats of the darkened buses during the evening commute from classes.

"I have interviewed bus conductors and some passengers, and they confirm the study that students are having sex, especially on the air-conditioned bus route 12," said Virat Chokkatiwat, a director of the MTA.

Route 12 goes past several evening colleges of Bangkok and terminates at the outskirts of the capital. Cloth curtains on bus windows along that route have been removed because some lovers were using them to cover themselves, Virat said.

In an effort to combat the problem, notices on all the Route 12 buses now advise: "Thai women should preserve old culture about sexual behaviour."

Although Thailand is well-known for its racy nightlife, it is a predominantly Buddhist, conservative country, where displays of public affection, including kissing in public, are rare.

Still, social mores among the younger generation, influenced by western culture in recent decades, are quickly changing.

--AP 2004-09-01

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an effort to combat the problem, notices on all the Route 12 buses now advise: "Thai women should preserve old culture about sexual behaviour."

What does that mean? That the amorous duo should get off the bus when it passes one of Thailand's ubiquitous "curtain hotels" and get themselves a room?

I've heard this news on radio yesterday. I know bus route 12 very well, i usually take this bus to the university. However, I wonder how can they do it on the air condition bus???? :D

i agree with this. Why they do it on bus. Crazy!!! :o:D I not an old generation but it's really piss me off.

I think they imitate western culture from movie and TV show such as MTV.

:D Sao jai = so sad.

Chat, one of Thai girl

What does that mean? That the amorous duo should get off the bus when it passes one of Thailand's ubiquitous "curtain hotels" and get themselves a room?

They mean that they should not do this in public according to my wife Man and Woman cannot even kiss let alone have a little fun on a bus!!!

I've heard this news on radio yesterday. I know bus route 12 very well, i usually take this bus to the university. However, I wonder how can they do it on the air condition bus????  :D

i agree with this. Why they do it on bus. Crazy!!! :o:D I not an old generation but it's really piss me off.

Chat, one of Thai girl

I agree with CG I don't know all the customs of thailand even though i was born there but i know some about how men and women should act. when i got married in 2002 I went walking around my wife's village to meet all her friends we walked around the whole place. I was holding her hand, My Mom told me that we should not do that even that in public, But my wife said it was OK now.

I thought that Thai kids were more interested in the wierd Jap cultural mash than western stuff !! Whatthey are fed on tv and movies is hardly ..'the west' anyway.........and what about Thai tv......geesus......so much killing and violence and depicted sex scenes.........outdoes 'the west' anytime.

I tried the bus last night ... out of journalistic curiosity, mind you, although my press ID was purchased a half hour before I boarded.

Anyway, I got off the bus at the very next stop when I was asked to pay in advance! I never pay in advance in Southeast Asia!

Nah, it says only Thai women should preserve Thai culture. Thai guys can carry on doing what the ###### they like in the back of buses and anywhere else that takes their fancy. Wonder why Thai women and Westerners always get the blame for erosion of those famous Thai morals?

As we all know, shagging couples is a common sight on the back seat of London buses and as for what they get up to on the top deck of open air double deckers.......let's hope that never catches on in Thailand.

Can you  imagine route number 12 now,The bus will be filled with Farang waiting to get an eyefull,The Thais wont be able to get on the bus now :o

I'm sure the word will spread among the Thai teenage boys, too ... they can't be that different than farang teenage boys, eh?

Similar Story..

Two weeks back, in the condo that one of my friends live, one foreigner and his Thai girl were given the warning by it's residence to stop indecent behavior in the swimming pool. I am not sure that guy is in this forum or not? :o

Similar Story..

Two weeks back, in the condo that one of my friends live, one foreigner and his Thai girl were given the warning by it's residence to stop indecent behavior in the swimming pool.

Was your friend doing the breast stroke .... For Cripes sake thats an olympic event..... If he would get a medal for it then he would probably be given the pool. :o

Similar Story..

Two weeks back, in the condo that one of my friends live, one foreigner and his Thai girl were given the warning by it's residence to stop indecent behavior in the swimming pool.

Was your friend doing the breast stroke .... For Cripes sake thats an olympic event..... If he would get a medal for it then he would probably be given the pool. :o

No, actually they were playing Humpty Dumpty while all those little kids were playing around the pool. :D

Dear Chubbygirl,

Please would you tell me what having sex in public has to do with western culture???

I am sick and tired of thai people who have no idea about any other culture than their own blaming things like this on "western values". Sex in public is a punishable offence in just about any western country. I suppose you believe that there are people screwing on the streets of London or Paris.

I do believe that it is Thailand that is known as the sex capital of the world and not the western world and yet it is your government and culture that chooses to turn a blind eye, not mine.

I used to ride the #12 bus in late afternoons, out Ramkhamhaeng Road, just to look out the window and watch the endless numbers of lovely uni students in their tight uniforms on the sidewalks. Maybe I should have been paying attention to what was going on inside the bus....

Update:

Sexist no-sex signs replaced in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Complaints by feminist groups have forced Bangkok authorities to replace signs that called on women but not men to remain chaste on city buses where Thai youths are known to have sex, an official said on Friday.

The Bangkok Mass Transit Authority on Friday began posting improved versions of the signs, which are part of a morality campaign aimed at getting teenagers to stop their X-rated activities on public transport.

Rights groups were up in arms this week over the authority's previous notices on buses calling for female riders to "reserve themselves".

"We have received complaints from feminist groups that the previous signs focused solely on women, so we have changed the wording to include both sexes," an authority official said.

According to the official the new signs read: "Guard your heart, protect your body. Both women and men, preserve your culture."

They are to be posted in all 3 600 city buses, in a broadening of the original campaign that saw the earlier signs posted on one route which reportedly passes by several "love motels".

In addition to the signs, bus conductors and drivers will be ordered to use all interior lights and open window shades after dark, the official said.

The Nation newspaper quoted Usa Lerdsrisuntad of the Foundation for Women as saying the previous notices ignored the misbehaviour of Thai men.

"The problem doesn't come from women not preserving their purity," she said in the daily.

Thailand has grappled with a societal liberalisation in recent years, including a reported rise in teenage sex, which some groups have decried as an erosion of traditional values.

-- Sapa-AFP 2004-08-04

>Although Thailand is well-known for its racy nightlife, it is a predominantly >Buddhist, conservative country, where displays of public affection, including >kissing in public, are rare.

>Still, social mores among the younger generation, influenced by western culture >in recent decades, are quickly changing.

--AP 2004-09-01

The director is a <deleted> who does'nt understand Buddhism.

Also sex is not a problem. He should be fired immediately !!!

I've heard this news on radio yesterday. I know bus route 12 very well, i usually take this bus to the university. However, I wonder how can they do it on the air condition bus????  :D

Chat, one of Thai girl

I agree with CG I don't know all the customs of thailand even though i was born there but i know some about how men and women should act. when i got married in 2002 I went walking around my wife's village to meet all her friends we walked around the whole place. I was holding her hand, My Mom told me that we should not do that even that in public, But my wife said it was OK now.

Well for starters I don't agree one little bit.

Everything that Thailand wants to disown they say is what they imitate from the west.

What a load of dogs bol1ocks.

AND Quote.............

I tried the bus last night ... out of journalistic curiosity, mind you, although my press ID was purchased a half hour before I boarded.

Anyway, I got off the bus at the very next stop when I was asked to pay in advance! I never pay in advance in Southeast Asia!

If you never / have never paid in advance you either haven't been here too long or alternatively you haven't bought too much.

Dear Chubbygirl,

Please would you tell me what having sex in public has to do with western culture???

I am sick and tired of thai people who have no idea about any other culture than their own blaming things like this on "western values". Sex in public is a punishable offence in just about any western country. I suppose you believe that there are people screwing on the streets of London or Paris.

I do believe that it is Thailand that is known as the sex capital of the world and not the western world and yet it is your government and culture that chooses to turn a blind eye, not mine.

I agree 100%, in fact, I couldn't have put it better myself.

When I hear this crap about western influence I just want to puke.