Planning a move

HI there,

Starting this year I will be spending months at a time in Thailand and in 2 years will be moving there to live full-time.

It really doesn't matter I guess what type of Visa I get the first trip and may in fact just get a tourist visa. The second trip however I need to have a Non-Imm visa so that I can start gearing up to a semi-retirement there. (getting a place to stay and a motorcycle etc.)

I have been to Thailand a few times in the past and love it enough to drop out here and at 38 I am financially solvent.

I plan on depositing about 4,300,000 bht when I arrive.

As I a student finishing a MA in teaching English as a Foriegn Language it begs some questions

What visa should I get?

Does anyone have problems w/ Thai Farmers bank?

Should I deposit less to begin and will my condo's value count as funds in country?

Show the Thi consulate evidence of savings, and try to get a Non-Immigrant "O" visa valid for 90 days, or a multiple entry valid for one year.

But to extend that visa in Bangkok, you need either to be married to a Thai or be 50 years of age.

To get a yearly extension can be hard in your case.

Basic advice..why put all of your eggs in the one basket?.Leave your "Dosh"outside the country earning the highest possible rate of interest and transfer  eg ATM if and when.At 38 I would never even have considered early retirement but did spend a lot of time on a wee motor bike going around Chang Rai,Mae Sai,Doi Mae Salong,Burma and Laos.Like most tourists my interests at the time were "frugal"mostly visiting temples,appreciating the ecology,trying to understand Thai ways???.I then decided to change my ideas (as one does with age)and settled instead for wine,women and song-Now 54 early retirement maybe but not for at least another 20 years or so-Maybe.Be tempted but dont bail out sick buffalos..Chok Dee Krup. :o

A retirement visa is only available to applicants  50 years or older, Applicants must meet requirements, eg 65000 Th  Bht OR have 800000 Th Bht in a Thai bankThe age criteria  was recently reduced to 50 from 55 year age as a minimum. The age is not a negotiable thing.  Your options are to marry, or become a businessman, study at an approved Institution, or border hop each 90 days, assuming you obtain a multi entry Non-Immigrant visa. When you make application for a visa it has to made for a  specific activity such as those  outlined above. And the classification is not changeable, thus semi is not valid for any class of visa.   You either have a wife, do some study at a valid institution, do some business, or retire at 50 years of age. I hope that this clarifies the situation for you

Why not live in cambodia.You can set up your own business,work it (no police hassle )and local beer is $1 a touch..cheaper during our "appy hours.O.K so P.P.is still a bit like the old wild west,but hey just think Doc Holliday and Why-at Earp but its getting better.You should should have seen it 10 years ago. :blues: