Changing The Name In The Registration Book

smartiemarty

Hello everyone.

I have come into possesion of a series 2 landrover that has a registration book. However when i sent off the paperwork to change the title registration to my own name, it was returned to me unchanged and i was told by the agent that they couldnt change the name in the book as something was wrong.

Turns out that i have acquired a "fantom" car. What seems to have happened is that a very previous owner has scrapped another vehicle and used that book, including the chassis no etc, to register the landrover. The original landrover chassis number has been ground out and a "new" Number stamped into the chassis. It also has a new toyota engine with correct (?) numbers.

Anyone else have experience of this practise, as a thai friend says its no problem........... :o

Anyone any advice?

Cheers

Hello everyone.

I have come into possesion of a series 2 landrover that has a registration book. However when i sent off the paperwork to change the title registration to my own name, it was returned to me unchanged and i was told by the agent that they couldnt change the name in the book as something was wrong.

Turns out that i have acquired a "fantom" car. What seems to have happened is that a very previous owner has scrapped another vehicle and used that book, including the chassis no etc, to register the landrover. The original landrover chassis number has been ground out and a "new" Number stamped into the chassis. It also has a new toyota engine with correct (?) numbers.

Anyone else have experience of this practise, as a thai friend says its no problem........... :o

Anyone any advice?

Cheers

Hi yesself!

The most worrying aspects from what you've said already are the apparent absence of the previous owner and the mention of an 'agent'. A car dealer maybe?

I have always bought second hand cars here in Thailand and always from Thai private owners, not dealers. On every occasion BOTH vendor and buyer had to attend the Land Transport Dept here in Chiang Mai and sign for the hand over of ownership.

My most optimistic guess is that if you can find the previous owner and get him to accompany you to the Land Transport office, all will be well. And if it's like CM and your Thai is anything like mine (O), take an interpreter! And maybe gently dump the 'agent'?

If it turns out that I'm being too optimistic by far, please post again and I'll look into the changed number syndrome.

• 2 weeks later...

On a series 2 the chassis no. is in 2 places.

1. stamped on the right front spring hanger and 40 years after manufacture are rarely findably. Often this section of chassis has been renewed.

2. On a small metal plate attached to the interior bulkhead by 2 self tapping screws. This should somewhere infront of the main gear lever.

Because of the method of attachment, they were notoriously easy to"borrow."

PS I have lots of series 2 spares here in the uk.