Whisky Confiscated On The Way Out

dbrenn

They took my 125ml aftershave that i just bought ... not about to throw away 5000 bht!

Holy freaking Be-Jasus...

5000B for a freaking bottle of aftershave?

And this was duty-free???

Man... you sure must have the babes just clawing to get close to you... you must have to fight of huge hordes of women every time you put that stuff on your face?

Or you're so babe-challenged - that it's the only stuff that'll get you laid???

What, pray tell, is in that stuff to be worth $166 freaking dollars?

I got back 3 weeks later and it was there..

So you couldn't use it on any Oz babes... too bad?

Are the Thai chicks that hard to get that you had to use it in LOS...?

5000B will go a LONG way in a Thai bar with the ladies... fancy smell or not?

Some people like a change from Brut or Paco Rabanne :D

Or maybe you one of those guys who has 1 bath a week whether you need it or not? :o

The last few times I’ve ended up having a rant at the security when leaving Bangkok.

The first time it was my own fault, going away for only two days I decided at the last minute that as my baggage was minimal I’d hand carry. I only realized my mistake when I got to the security check. From my wash bag they took all liquids over 100ml. But the annoying thing was when I kicked up a polite stink after they’d indicated they must confiscate my (very sharp) nail scissors they changed their mind an let me take them through.

The small irony here was that I’d bought some hair gel at the boots in the duty free area. I’d told the shop assistant that I don’t want her to seal it in the bag as I wanted to go to the bathroom and use the gel. If I had enough forethought, I could have put all my other liquids in that bag.

The second time I got irritated was just last week, I’ve been carrying a small (75ml) can of Nivea deodorant for the last 6 months or so (about 20 flights) and never had a problem. This time it was confiscated because it is flammable. I argued that perfume or some spirits (i.e. brandy) are flammable but it’s ok to take those… I complained at the changing goal posts.

I also get irritated when driving into a hotel (normally the top end ones, i.e. Marriot) when I have to open my boot so that the guys at the gate can perform a visual security check (not the explosives sniffer type). A bomb inside a suit case is ok then ?

All across the board I do not see or witness an improvement to security, I just see the farce that insults intelligent travelers who can see through this performance of ‘appearing to do something’ to give the image of better security.

since all this liquid and sharp stuff stated I simply have limited my on board to my laptop (bad enough because it has to be unpacked at security) and a book to read, everything else goes into my big checked in case. Over the past 4 or so years I have survived every flight without my nail clippers or my bottle of after shave or a bottle of drink. If I want to buy alcohol, I buy it at my destination, all this made my travel so much easier and avoided tons of does annoying confrontation that I see others having at airports, and not just in Thailand.

Don't carry liquids at all is the best policy when flying these days. I have to say that the airport sucks in quite a few ways but not being hassled about my carry on is one area where they've been surprisingly intelligent. I have carried on very complex power supplies and computer motherboards onboard the plane several times without problems. The security screeners were able to tell me exactly what it was everytime and knew it was safe to carry. Contrast that with U.S. airport screeners who kneejerk and raise a stink everytime I try to carry on something that looks even remotely complex. :o

I once had 3 small cans of mackerel (with the pull-ring tops) confiscated from my carryon.

Yep. They flagged my bag because the security dolt initially got all hyper at seeing my two high-capacity hard drives in the x-ray scanner (I specifically heard him say the word "computer" excitedly to his supervisor, mixed in with the other Thai that he said). He was obviously going to try to seize those but his supervisor waived him off and told him to seize the mackerel instead. <deleted>?

He turned kind of glum at that point, took the three cans of mackerel, then waived me on.

And this was at the domestic terminal at Suewannaboondoggle.

True story.

As Bernard Trink would say, "more cases of T.I.T."... :o

I once had 3 small cans of mackerel (with the pull-ring tops) confiscated from my carryon.

Yep. They flagged my bag because the security dolt initially got all hyper at seeing my two high-capacity hard drives in the x-ray scanner (I specifically heard him say the word "computer" excitedly to his supervisor, mixed in with the other Thai that he said). He was obviously going to try to seize those but his supervisor waived him off and told him to seize the mackerel instead. <deleted>?

He turned kind of glum at that point, took the three cans of mackerel, then waived me on.

True story.

As Bernard Trink would say, "more cases of T.I.T."... :o

Not as stupid as it sounds. First a small tin like that would like a HDD, but they wouldn't have been sure so checked it only to find a seal metal box with what you say is mackerel inside. But without opening how could they tell? Bottom line is don't take sealed metal tins through security ANYTHING could be inside and the x-ray cannot get through.

This is so crazy. I just got back from India. While there I had one domestic flight where I was able to take on an unsealed bottle of water, plus a can of soft drink. I didn't just hope for the best, I actually walked up to the security barrier and asked the staff doing the xraying if it'd be okay, and got the nod. I did that because of the Thai experience.

Then on my flight back to BKK, same thing, actually, a bottle instead of a can this time. No probs. And I noticed many other passengers also carrying bottles of water on.

Now which country has had the more hijackings?

These may well be international regulations but here we see the Indians applying some common sense. Wish the Thais would do the same.

Humn, common sense. Is common sense really "common"?

True story.

As Bernard Trink would say, "more cases of T.I.T."... :D

Not as stupid as it sounds. First a small tin like that would like a HDD, but they wouldn't have been sure so checked it only to find a seal metal box with what you say is mackerel inside. But without opening how could they tell? Bottom line is don't take sealed metal tins through security ANYTHING could be inside and the x-ray cannot get through.

You missed the point. These corrupt SOBs were probably hungry. If they had ANY doubt whatsoever and wanted to inspect them (to make sure the seals weren't broken, for example) that would have been totally fine, totally acceptable.

But instead, they just seized them with no explanation. And they knew what they were looking at in the scanner, too. The supervisor specifically said to seize the 'bla gapohng' (canned fish) to his assistant even when he hadn't had a visual look inside of my carryon yet.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think there's a policy to seize EVERYTHING they can't see inside of. That would be ludicrous.

Remember, these cans are sealed first, before cooking under high temperature and pressure. There is absolutely no way the seals can be compromised without obvious detection. And this was a local Thai brand, too.

Besides, I've packed such items in my carryon on Thai domestic fights before with no problem.

All we have (again) are some underpaid, overzealous airport security dolts on power trips looking to take advantage of innocent travelers.

And the cost is obviously not the issue here. It's the spectre of the growing abuse of power and 'legalized' theft by these so-called 'security' people that is the real issue and the point I'm making.

Same s*#t, just different airport... :o

The solution:

Drink the solution in front of them if they say they're going to confiscate it. if you can't drink it all, tip it over your head and stink out the plane.

I tried that when the ban was first introduced. Caught the early flight to Penang and was up all night partying and didn't bother going to sleep so was in no mood to deal with any sh!t from these guys. When they said "no water" I broke the seal from the bottle I had bought in the Family Mart in the terminal and drank about 1/3. Not good enough for them.

I was really pissed off about it as my state necessitated a water bottle always being at my side. Fortunately I was able to buy another as soon as I got on board (Air Asia).

On subsequent flights I've been able to take it on. I just go the the book stall at the 4 way junction where they also sell drinks. If you ask them they'll seal a water bottle for you.

Of course, water doesn't present much enticement to them unlike whiskey.

What's wrong with taking HDs on board? Unless you saying they were going to confiscate them as a scam?

The solution:

Drink the solution in front of them if they say they're going to confiscate it. if you can't drink it all, tip it over your head and stink out the plane.

I tried that when the ban was first introduced. Caught the early flight to Penang and was up all night partying and didn't bother going to sleep so was in no mood to deal with any sh!t from these guys. When they said "no water" I broke the seal from the bottle I had bought in the Family Mart in the terminal and drank about 1/3. Not good enough for them.

I was really pissed off about it as my state necessitated a water bottle always being at my side. Fortunately I was able to buy another as soon as I got on board (Air Asia).

On subsequent flights I've been able to take it on. I just go the the book stall at the 4 way junction where they also sell drinks. If you ask them they'll seal a water bottle for you.

Of course, water doesn't present much enticement to them unlike whiskey.

I read in paper recently, that a guy who had too much DF, drank excess at customs, dropped dead.

Forget where.

Where is common sense?

As it has been said here, NOT so much common sense around.

Edited by Zpete

They took my 125ml aftershave that i just bought ... not about to throw away 5000 bht!

Holy freaking Be-Jasus...

5000B for a freaking bottle of aftershave?

And this was duty-free???

Man... you sure must have the babes just clawing to get close to you... you must have to fight of huge hordes of women every time you put that stuff on your face?

Or you're so babe-challenged - that it's the only stuff that'll get you laid???

What, pray tell, is in that stuff to be worth $166 freaking dollars?

I got back 3 weeks later and it was there..

So you couldn't use it on any Oz babes... too bad?

Are the Thai chicks that hard to get that you had to use it in LOS...?

5000B will go a LONG way in a Thai bar with the ladies... fancy smell or not?

Money and taste are all relevant to what you have,. i think you have just given us your status ! :o

• 3 weeks later...

Been said before and will be again. Nail clipper dangerous because they are sharp and can cut things.

Two glass bottles are allowed as long as they do not exceed DF allowance.

Personally I do not buy any DF, the reduced cost is not outweighed by the hassle of carrying it.

Just saw in norways largest newspaper that a security officials at Pukhet airport went around and confiscated a bunch of charter tourists drinking water. This had been purchased after going trough security. Thats rather nice of them before a 14 hour flight. :o

• 3 weeks later...