Phuket Cracks Down On Fake Goods

george

Phuket cracks down on fake goods

PHUKET: -- Police on Thailand's southern resort island of Phuket have stepped up their operations against the production and sale of fake goods.

The crackdown on contraband goods is currently targeting the famous Patong Beach.

Police have continuously busted vendors selling fake goods to tourists on the Patong Beach.

On Wednesday night, several million baht of fake brand name watches and pirated CD and DVD disks were confiscated by the local police.

“Vendors sell these low quality bootlegged goods to tourists at expensive prices”, Pol. Maj. Sopon Borirak told TNA.

Fake and low quality goods have been widely sold in tourist spots on the island, and have tainted Phuket’s reputation internationally, he said.

Police have promised to clean the island of bootlegged goods to make sure that foreign tourists are not disappointed with the island’s shopping facilities.

--TNA 2004-09-02

Police have promised to clean the island of bootlegged goods to make sure that foreign tourists are not disappointed with the island’s shopping facilities.

Ha Ha sure all the tourist will be happy about this... Great thing is it will last for 6 weeks then go back to the way it was.. 6 weeks ago it was Pattaya.

Let me guess who instigates these crackdowns? would it be a farrang company somewhere?

“Vendors sell these low quality bootlegged goods to tourists at expensive prices”, Pol. Maj. Sopon Borirak told TNA.

Fake and low quality goods have been widely sold in tourist spots on the island, and have tainted Phuket’s reputation internationally, he said.

No doubt that fake, expensive Gucci bags are the primary reason why Phuket's reputation has been "tainted" in international tourism circles. :o

Almost sounds like the problem is NOT that they are pirated or copied, but that they are either of low quality or expensively priced. So in other words, good quality copies or fairly priced copies are acceptable?? :o

I saw photo of the customs officer with some Penfolds wine from Australia.......and in the background there was boxes of the stuff......I want to know what will happen to all that wine

Most likely it will be used during a media party hosted by the government to launch the latest weekly "hub" initiative....

"Bangkok, The Hub Of All Asia For Bad Hub Ideas"

I bought a "Rolex" in Patong Beach. They had three versions of the same watch - I got the most realistic version with the rolex sweeping hand movement. Cost about 1,200b.

Funny - I didn't feel ripped off.  I think the real one costs about 240,000b    :D

I got one also in udon thani gift from my father in law when i got home a friend of my dad's said you bought a rolex in thailand?? :o he said let me see then he turned it over it had somehow either got water on the back or it was from my sweat some of the gold was rubbing off :D It looks so good also i thought it was real at first but i never saw a real rolex before