We Went Shopping. We Didn't Go To Shopping.

PeaceBlondie

Native speakers almost automatically say, "We went shopping." Non-native speakers in Thailand are more likely to say, "We went to shopping." I know (because I think I know English) that we didn't go to shopping. When you went shopping, you went to shops, went into some shops, etc.

But can I quote an Oxbridge or Ivy League professor of grammar to prove my point? Probably not. So, I guess 'go shopping' is an idiom, a figure of speech, a type of verbal phrase, or the conventional way to express the idea.

Or am I mistaken once again? Is it just as right/wrong to go to shopping?

How about "I go a shopping". :D:D

I think other Native English speakers will also say, "We went to the shops", although doesn't specificaly pertain that you actually undertook any shopping. :o

Oh, <deleted> PB, you've started a good thread here. :D

PB, it's Boxing Day, can't you wait for the January sales?

'Shopping' can be used as a noun, an adjective or a verb(with or without object). In the phrase 'I went shopping', what part of speech is 'shopping'? It is used here as a noun - 'the act of visiting shops to purchase goods.' Many 'ing' words have the same functions - cycling, swimming, writing, etc.

Some verbs can be followed by specific patterns.

like, love, prefer, hate etc. can be followed by a gerund (swimming) or 'to' + infinitive (to swim)

You may notice these verbs usually state an opinion. When the verb is followed by 'to' + infinitive probably you are being more specific compared to the more general statement using a gerund. Example: I like to swim in the sea; I like swimming

let, make etc. can be followed by 'someone/something' + infinitive. Example: Let him sleep

encourage, help etc. can be followed by 'someone/something' + 'to' + infinitive. Encourage him to sleep

In all the above it's the first verb that must obey normal verb tense rules

The above are not phrasal verbs (sit up, look forward to etc.). These have their own rules and exceptions

Edited by Loaded

I went shopping. I went swimming. I went bowling. I went fishing. ect. I love it when they say: "I play bowling." Well, you can play golf, but you can't play bowling. <deleted>? I can see why English drives some people insane.

Edited by mbkudu

I went shopping. I went swimming. I went bowling. I went fishing. ect. I love it when they say: "I play bowling." Well, you can play golf, but you can't play bowling. <deleted>? I can see why English drives some people insane.

Collocation old chap

PLAY football, tennis, basketball, golf - all have a ball and usually two teams and often a net (Golf the exception)

GO bowling, running, swimming, jogging - all are gerunds

DO aerobics, tae kwon do, judo - individual sports

Edited by Loaded