Have You Photos Evaluated By Your Peers

astral

It occurs to me that the photography forum is a little lacking. Maybe the following could inject some activity?

When I was a boy (c. aged 10) and starting upon my lifelong interest in photography,

I was a member of a circle of budding photographers (all ages) who submitted their work for evaluation.

Basically, we took shots that we felt were good, printed them off as well as we could, and popped them in the post to an anonymous panel

who in turn added a short note acclaiming or otherwise our efforts. The print was then returned with all the “pointers” attached.

This most certainly went a great way to improving my photography. Often I disagreed with the adverse comments, until it occurred

to me that these people were merely expressing their views of my work and, by removing their emotional involvement, were in a

better position than me to do so. I mean, we all love the pics of the kids we shoot, but is it the shot or our kids that appeal?

So, my point is, why couldn’t we do something like this on the forum?

As opposed to a panel of judges, let all members voice their opinions.

Areas of appraisal in my days were:-

Composition, lighting, exposure, focusing (depth of field) and capturing the moment.

Let us give this excellent idea from The Vulcan a try.

Here are some ground rules.

1. Photos must be your own

2. Each photo or set of photos must be in a new topic

Sets should be limited to 3 photos maximum.

3. Topic name should start with Evaluate my Photo

and subheading showing the title of the photo.

4. Where possible some technical details, like exposure used, focal length of lens, etc should be included.

5. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is,

for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Comments like “I love” or “its crap” are not what is wanted.

A better approach would be “why or why not does this shot work for you”?

Amended 21st Jan 2008

Comments on the idea only.

It may be difficult to keep track of the new topics. Perhaps adding the links in here as they are generated to keep it cohesive. Though, could be a bit of work. Also, maybe a template title for ease of location and referencing.

Might be a thought to suggest how to upload your shots.

I re-size to 100 dpi and 800x600 pixels. This produces a 3/4 Mb file so I again use softtware (photoshop or the like) and "save for the web" at 150-250 Kb. This I then upload.

I feel this isize enough to evaluate and view quickly

Just a thought

Comments on the idea only.

It may be difficult to keep track of the new topics. Perhaps adding the links in here as they are generated to keep it cohesive. Though, could be a bit of work. Also, maybe a template title for ease of location and referencing. :D

Thank you both Astral and The Vulcan for such a great idea to make this forum about each ones photos as well as the normal day to day things.We are getting a lot more traffic in here since you started it BTW.

Could be a good idea to make a sub-forum on here just for this purpose as other members may wish to post about other things and their posts could be lost like the ones in the General Section that gets numerous new topics per day.

Just an idea :o

Well done to you both.

Thanking you, :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win

Might be a thought to suggest how to upload your shots.

I re-size to 100 dpi and 800x600 pixels. This produces a 3/4 Mb file so I again use softtware (photoshop or the like) and "save for the web" at 150-250 Kb. This I then upload.

I feel this isize enough to evaluate and view quickly

Just a thought

Posting Images To The Forum., For oldies as well as noobies. :D

I has been covered in this "Thread", could we have a linky here as well.

Good thinking 'The Vulcan' :o

Kan Win

Edited by Kan Win

Thank you "Astral" on both counts.

There are members that wish and need to post on this forum for help about their cameras etc.... whilst we enjoy commenting about our photos and that really should be kept in a sub-forum on its own and leave the main forum as it is.

Took me 2 years to get this forum up and running, pleading with the Admins and now that we have the traffic in our works, by your good self for kick starting it, photos that is, keep it where it belongs in a sub-forum, like Bikes in the Motor Section and it will release the pressure some what.

I posted, not much in the Thai-Visa gallery, since one could not discuss anything about photos only post a comment and vote in the old days.

Let us move forward and keep photo comments topics in their own section.

Thanking you for your support,

Yours as ever

Win :o

• 2 years later...

Dear Members,

Please remember

Have You Photos Evaluated By Your Peers

and not the person that took the photo :whistling:

The gulf between Ansel Adam's photography and Kan Win's, it should be obvious to anyone who bothered to look, not to mention cordial relations with other practicioners of the craft, is enormous.

Photos only please. :wai:

The Colonel :ph34r: an Amateur Photographer

Kanchanaburi Win B)

• 3 years later...