Wife Opening Small Restaurant

Just a small local place. Catering mostly to people on the way to and from work. Also deliveries to local neighborhood. As originally posted, this is my wifes restaraunt, not mine. She is Thai and IMO a very good cook so the menu will be thai food.

Good food, smart and freindly staff, comfortable tables and chairs, A place where one is comfortable and will want to come back. All very good recommendations.

Edited by Spacer
I have opened and run several restaurants in Bangkok, firstly only a Farang can run his own Nationality eating house' and only a Thai can run theirs, I do not know where this is being opened but if your wife is a great Thai Chef go for it all the way with her but situation is important too.

can i ask where u got this infomation from?

so as singapore is a multinational country, which "foods" can i sell?? there aint such thing as a Singapore dish, so if i were to open 1 restaurent, which food can i sell?

• 2 weeks later...

You can sell anything but I would not think many Brazillians are expert in preparing japanese cuisine if you get my drift. Now I wouldn't think about doing Russian food but I;d be reasonably confident with Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese and Thai foods. You also have to think about where in the eating hierarchy you want to place yourself. i Couldn't open the most expensive Japanese restaurant in Japan for instance because I am not Japanese and local traditions would not allow it, even if my food was better.

My wife is opening a small restaraunt. I don't have any experience in this. So asking for any advice or suggestions. Also, are there any places around pattaya that sells used equipment like stoves, fryers and such?

are you doing it to make money???? if not then go ahead.dont mean to be rude!

if you already have the property ie your house/shophouse then may provide a little extra income ...if you are planning to rent a place,furnish,decorate provide kitchen etc then may struggle to make money or to make it worth while for hours/effort put in.it sounds like your catering for local thai people who dont like to pay much for there food and there tends to be plenty of food stalls parked up in areas of where there is a good local traffic of people.

i wish you and your wife all the best but i personally think there is an abundance of small restaurants/food stalls everywhere as thais like to eat very regularly.im sure you can make a profit if you give it time and only expect it will be a small profit.

maybe im being also too rude. perhaps all these buznit ideas that obviously wont make significant money for a non thai are being opened for non money making reasons. the lady just like to cook! everywhere i go i see thais tending to buznits with no customers, maybe its the national pastime.

Edited by blizzard
My wife is opening a small restaraunt. I don't have any experience in this. So asking for any advice or suggestions. Also, are there any places around pattaya that sells used equipment like stoves, fryers and such?

Check out the adds section in the pattaya mail - you can go through past additions. There must be a lot of small buisinesses going to the wall each week. Look at the Adds in Carfore or outside Foodland or Friendship Supermarket!

A friend of mine did the same thing and profits were a whopping 3k a month at best !..he didnt care ,hes sees it as a hobby and something to keep her amused ! :o
go 4 sexy staff over bubbly but not so lovely. sexy staff brings farangs to the table ..

Yes but competent, bubbly staff will bring them back. Personally, I would prefer to be served by someone who can communicate successfully will ensure my order is correct. If they also happen to be attractive that is a bonus, good service and good food is what makes a restaurant last.

Topless ! theres a new idea :o
I have opened and run several restaurants in Bangkok, firstly only a Farang can run his own Nationality eating house' and only a Thai can run theirs, I do not know where this is being opened but if your wife is a great Thai Chef go for it all the way with her but situation is important too.

is this correct? Greg from Sunrise is not Mexican.

and im sure the guy selling kebabs at jomtien is a thai and not greek ! :o