Compulsory Vehicle Insurance

george

Compulsory vehicle insurance

BANGKOK: -- The government has announced that any vehicle without insurance will not be allowed to re-register.

This policy came into effect on 1 September, and will be strictly enforced, the Director-General of the Department of Land Transport, Piyapan Champasut, told TNA.

The measure is aimed at increasing the level of compulsory vehicle insurance.

Only 67 percent of the country's 20 million registered vehicles have entered the compulsory insurance system.

More than 90 percent of passenger cars are covered by compulsory insurance, compared to 55 percent of registered motorcycles.

Anyone seeking to renew their vehicle registration must have a valid insurance policy to coincide with the whole of the registration period, otherwise their application for renewal will be rejected, Mr Piyapan said.

-- TNA 2004-09-04

Anyone seeking to renew their vehicle registration must have a valid insurance policy to coincide with the whole of the registration period, otherwise their application for renewal will be rejected, Mr Piyapan said.

I'm a little bit confused here. I've always needed a current insurance receipt to renew my motorbike's registration (since 1998). What has really changed?

I'm a little bit confused here. I've always needed a current insurance receipt to renew my motorbike's registration (since 1998). What has really changed?

Perhaps it to stop you doing what a lot of British people do, which is renew their tax discs while having an insurance policy that has only a few weeks left to run. I used to present a nearly expired MoT certificate (pass certificate for a basic, annual roadworthiness check) as well. It sounds as though more TiT-style hassle is on the way.

Perhaps it to stop you doing what a lot of British people do, which is renew their tax discs while having an insurance policy that has only a few weeks left to run.

Ahhh... I see what the distinction is now. This ought to be interesting as it's the insurance companies that will actually have to change. Under the present system, it's impossible to have an insurance policy coincide with the exact vehicle registration period unless one renews their insurance on the exact date that the registration expires.

I assume this means third party insurance( not sure if that is the exact name ) . In Australia your rego u pay(over 400 bucks for an average car) insurance is included and compulsory. I once had the misfortune to be hit by a p plater driving without registration. I only had third party so had to cover the costs myself as didn't want the court hassles as the bottom line was the offender was a poor uni student . Compulsary insurance makes alot of sense to me

AHHHHH, thanks for this thread.

I went to renew my fully comprehensive insurance today and was refused because I did not have the vehicle registration with me, which I never had to show before. The dates of the compulsory insurance and the vehicle registration must now be the same.

Well that will be a major headache for most, and a good excuse for collecting a few more bribes, no doubt.

Unless you are buying a new vehicle the insurance policy is unlikely to coincide with the tax renew, in fact even then it will not.

Insurance is needed from the day you buy the vehicle, but the Land Transport Dept takes 2-3 months to get round to licensing the vehicle..................

Somewhere you will have to catchup.

Then the Compulsory Third Party part (Tor Roh Bor) will be out of synch with the rest of your policy........ Two renewal dates to remember.

Another case of government officials making statements about things they know little or nothing about. I doubt the Monister has ever taxed a vehicle, his driver/ gofer will have handled it.

Unless you are buying a new vehicle the insurance policy is unlikely to coincide with the tax renew, in fact even then it will not.

For this to work, the insurance companies will need to issue pro-rated policies for the partial year that is being made up or whatever an individual's circumstance may be. Seems like this shifts much of the burden to the insurance companies. I'm surprised they're not squawking about the change.