31 People Injured In Explosions At Two Discotheques

george

31 people injured in explosions at two discotheques in Narathiwat

NARATHIWAT: -- A series of explosions happened at two discotheques in this southern border province early Monday, injuring 31 people.

Police said insurgents apparently used timing device to detonate a bomb each inside the discotheques and detonated bombs outside with remote control.

Panicked patrons and employees of the discotheques ran out to be injured by more explosions outside, police said.

The first attack happened at the Riviera Hotel at the 4 am and the second attack at Marina Hotel. Both hotels are located in Narathiwat's Sungai Kolok district.

Insurgents planted time bombs in certain motorcycles, which shortly exploded after the explosions in the discotheques.

Most of those, who were injured, were patrons trying to retrieve their motorcycles to flee the scenes.

-- The Nation 2007-12-31

Trio detained, confess to Sungai Kolok bombings

NARATHIWAT: -- Thai police Monday morning detained three men suspected of involvement in Sunday night's Sungai Kolok border district bombings, injuring dozens of people.

At least three bombings erupted in Sunagi Kolok district in this southern border province late Sunday, injuring at least 27 persons as insurgents stepped up their campaign of violence on the New Years holiday.

Confessions that the three were responsible for the bombings and several earlier bombings in Sungai Kolok and Sungai Padi were also obtained.

Police had earlier said an unknown number of insurgents planted an explosive device in a motorcycle parked in front of a karaoke bar near the Marina Hotel, just 100 metres from the local police station. Another explosive-laden motorcycle was left in the parking lot of Riveira Hotel in Sungai Kolok municipality.

The bombs exploded almost simultaneously, resulting in at least 27 people being injured from shrapnels scattered over the area. The powerful blast also casued heavily damaged to cars and motorcycles on the roadside.

A third bomb went off in a discotheque on the second floor of the Marina Hotel. The overall number of those injured has not yet been released.

Meanwhile, police in Songkhla's Hat Yai district, a major tourist attraction and business centre of the southern region, have tightened security measures on New Year's Eve.

Checkpoints have been set up at all the routes to the city to prevent insurgents from carrying out violent attacks in the area where large numbers of local and foreign tourists plan to welcome in the New Year.

All vehicles will be stopped and searched thoroughly before passing the Kanchanavanich Road linking Thai-Malaysian border in Sadao district to the Hat Yai city centre.

Similar security measures have also been introduced on all main and secondary roads to ensure the safety of the public and tourists.

Security has been beefed-up after a series of bombings took place in Hat Yai on September 16, last year. The incidents were believed to be part of the continuing insurgency in southern border region. At least four people were killed and many were injured.

--TNA 2007-12-31

Three years back when i handed in my resignation in one of the best schools in Yala, i told myself, I hope these killings and bombing innocents will stop... Hearing more stories of bombings/ deaths from those three provinces somehow still make my knees wobble... 'Coz three years ago..they bombed a restaurant where i usually eat lunch on saturdays and they bomb it the saturday i was here in Nakhon visiting my cousin. I always look back and say, it could have been me. I'm glad I'm out of there...I pity the people who are still there in constant fear and with no peace of mind.,