Days Of The Week

alaina

I looked on google but I didn't find a good answer to this question.

After I put a resume online I saw that after my date of birth the site calculated the day of the week I was born on. Is this related to Buddhism or is it a Chinese/Thai thing? Does the day factor into what an employer thinks of an applicant?

And while I am asking, what does Sunday mean?

'Day of the sun', as in most languages that don't simply number the days of the week. It has this meaning in both English and Thai. French 'dimanche' and a few similar words mean the Lord's day.

As there are four 'wan phra' per lunar month in the Buddhist scheme, I doubt the week has much to do with Buddhist traditions, let alone teachings.

I don't know but my husband says it has to do with their astrology. It is determined by the day of the week you were born on. My husband and I were both born on the same day, which is, apparently, quite unusual for a married couple. So, doesn't sound like Buddhism to me, could be chinese influenced, could be animist influence like many other things in Thailand.

Wan ahtit ,is the Thai name for Sunday.Ahtit being the Sun;and the Sanskrit origin is 'aditya war'-war ('a' being pronounced the same as in the English 'jar') is the Sanskrit for day.Sunday being the same as in European languages.

For further references to the Thai system of astrology-amongst other things-a good starting point may be: Thai Ways~Denis Segaller. I know that this book has a section on the comparisons between Thai and Western astrology.