2008: Teacher's Salaries In Thailand

It may be too early to get a good handle on actual salaries being offered in Thailand, but it is the new year, so let's see what is available. I went to the largest website and gleaned these results, which of course are partial:

Chiang Mai: one job, out of town, 25K per month for ten weeks, 21 hours per week

One more job, 13 days old, for 20K, to teach English and math with applicable degree, full range of full time duties, , probably govt. school, absolutely putrid salary.

Lampang, Lampuhn, Chiang Rai, MaeHongSon, Phayao: nothing listed, and that's almost half of northern Thailand

Phrae: 1 or 2 jobs. 31 Dec, teach at public school, 25K with room, 30K without room. Not bad, if you like Phrae.

Phitsanalouk: One job for only ten weeks, 30K, asking for fully qualified TEFLer.

Prachuap Kirikan (Hua Hin area) none

Nakhon Sri Thama: two: one for 30K and free lodging for 24 hours per week, 5 day week but work weekends, full time attendance. Another (mis listed as Songhkla), 30K and vague but sounds like that want a very experienced teacher.

In my experience, a ten week job that ends March 15 will leave you high and dry, unpaid and unknowing for two more months, and may not rehire you at the last moment, even if you performed miracles.

I spent a long time Monday night discussing salaries with a qualified teacher, and I got the impression that at least up north, the job market stinks. Perhaps on May 5, Bangkok will be full of 39K jobs that are really at good schools. Or, perhaps not.

Do you know lots of excellent jobs opening up for new or experienced teachers at outstanding wages?

PB: A good thread and a good idea. Where I work, the starting salary for a new teacher, no experience is 37,000 baht. The salary increases with experience, but seldom is anyone hired at over 40,000 baht. The workload is 21 hours of teaching--extra pay if you have/take a higher load. Work Permit paid, health insurance/accident insurance paid. October break (2-3 weeks). Summer school (April) every other year--first year mandatory after that you receive a bonus for teaching. Sick leave -- 10 days paid (medical certificate required--but seldom enforced). Regular National Holidays and break between 2nd semester and summer session and after summer and start of regular school term. 3 month probationary period, with 3,000 baht deducted during probation and returned when you finish your contract and leave the school (thus it can be held for several years if you renew your contract). There is a camp that teachers are contractually required to attend (it extends over a weekend), but not everyone has to go. There are also up to 3 weekend/holidays of work in the contract for extra things such as family fun day, sports day or other events. Some years none of these days are used.

For those coming from overseas (Not within Asia) airfare up to 20,000 baht paid.

Hope that's helpful. We're on the fringes of Bangkok.

The biggest disadvantage for most teachers at our school is they have to work with the likes of me!

Oh, I forgot to add that our contracts always run to the end of the school year (April). But even people that we are hiring during the year--including a teacher that will start next week, will be offered a contract for next year. The downside for the employee is they won't get paid for any of the holiday time (but they can work if they choose to and thus get paid).

It really isn't in our interest to make the outlay (and paperwork) for a non-immigrant B visa and then the W.P. for someone that we don't plan to keep on staff.

There's one going in Bangkok advertised today on //seek.com.au/users/apply/index.ascx?...amp;cid=jobmail for an immediate start. Seek in Australia has lots of teaching jobs in Thailand now another one starting in March is between 30 000-40 000 with accomodation PM me and I can pass on the info .Happy New Year happy jobhunting.

Two reasons why I won't work in Thailand anymore:

1) Low salaries; getting cheated by employers, esp. agencies, one case where the owner, an English guy named Charlie did the runner without paying his teachers for the past two months.

2) Difficulty with paperwork

3) Derogatory terms used by Thais for foreigners who are well-dressed, e.g. 'farang washi-washi', 'kamok','falang bah', 'mafia', etc., etc. I saw today a Western tourist on Sukhumvit walking around without shirt, bare-breasted.. But you look like a teacher you are called names.. :o

//derogatory comments removed - lopburi3//

Edited by lopburi3

That's a bit rough 007.

I had a thoroughly enjoyable time teaching in Thailand and would go back for another stint if I didn't have family commitments here.The top international schools pay well and provide lots of support for their staff members.Sure if you pay peanuts you get monkeys and there are a lot of dodgy operators around but the same can be said of any place in the world.

That SEEK website is a great resource for finding jobs in Thailand check it out.

If you can just get a good job at a right place and keep it, you're fine. That applies to all jobs anywhere in the world. Generally, however, teaching jobs in Thailand, for foreigners, are dismal, and the students frustrate any would-be, half-competent teachers. So if you find a place like the one where Scott works, or if you really fully qualify for a true international school, your experience may be nothing like 90% of the job seekers.

Okay, on second thought...maybe only 75% of the TEFLers in Thailand find the jobs to be dismal. I'll be eligible in 8 more months to be a full time employee, but I'm not really fully qualified for an interna'l school, although I think I could teach 20 well behaved foreigners at a time, if they're in fourth to twelfth grade, very well, at 45K in Chiang Mai, full time. But I doubt there are six openings per year, and there are 60 to 120 applicants for those few jobs. But I don't need to earn the money, and I'm not supporting children here.

Ok I have a question if anyone can help me out. I am a Thai national who grew up and was educated in Australia. I have a Bachelor degree, TESOL qualification and ESL teaching experience (all in Australia). I am looking at teaching in Central Thailand and wondered if anyone can indicate an hourly rate that has been offered in this region. I am a native English speaker with sound Thai language ability. Any information would be appreciated.

This is the worst time of year to look for a job. The school year ends soon, so most schools won't bother to replace any teachers that leave. Most schools aren't thinking about next year yet either.

The job market will look considerably different next May!

Chiang Mai

Government school

22-24k (for native speaking)

15hrs actual teaching

8am-2:30/3:00

about 2.5 months of paid vacation where you can even head back home and come back to a paycheck in your bank.

For experience they want a TEFL and a BA, but would also accept a person with out these if they had a recommendation and experience.

I know many private schools start 25-30k and have a lot more working hours, rules, Saturday meetings.

Living and teaching in the North is fine on a smaller salary because rent and food is so cheap. One can also supplement pay with private tutoring or tutoring centers.

In Bangkok there is really a 3-tier situation.

1. True-blue international school teachers with gold stars in their belly-buttons: from 120K-200K and even more a month.

Very few openings are available per year and on-paper qualification levels are the highest possible; it's really quite hard to get these jobs even with the highest qualifications if you're already in Thailand. There are apocryphal stories from time to time that a local gets hired (especially in maths or sciences) but at reduced wages.

2. Well-done Thai EP program teachers: from 60-70K on up, plus decent benefits. Really, to be attracting the better talent short of those who qualify for job type #1, you now need to be offering at least 70K, insurance, a flight home once in a while, and full legal paperwork. Teachers in this group have subject-specific experience and qualifications, and usually a fair amount of teaching experience, too. They are hired by the smallish number of Thai EP programs who really seem to be doing things seriously; however staffing is becoming more of a problem as the number of these programs proliferate.

3. The rest: typical TEFL (usually 25-30K) and mediocre MEP/EP programs (30-40k)- other benefits and paperwork minimal or absent. The better and more qualified and experienced teachers in this group usually discover group#2 after a year or two and move on. Definitely not a category for a younger person to stay in for a career, especially without proper paperwork; however, this can be a rewarding choice for older pensioners who are quite qualified and simply want something to do.

Just my take on things.

I thought I would post the e-mail I received from my friend if anybody is interested you have the contact details.

If you are interested in a change of lifestyle and teaching,

please contact me as soon as you can I will send a copy of

the contract and the conditions of school for your information.

The school will offer you a competitive salary and benefits

package as the details below:-

- 1 year contracts, renewable.

- Salary from 30,000 - 45,000 baht per month.

(A$1,100.00 - 1,600.00 per month depends on experience)

- Thai taxation funded by school.

- Contract completion at the end of first year equivalent to

1 months pay.

- Paid Holidays (October 3 weeks, Xmas-New Year, Mid March

to end April)

- Free single accommodation in studio apartment nearby school

or housing allowance. (utilities paid by teacher)

- Reimbursement One Way Airfare to Thailand during first

contract.

- Cash or air ticket home at the end of 2nd year.

- Free Lunch on school days.

- Hospital and Accident Insurance after a 3 month waiting period.

Positions:

- Homeroom teachers: Kindergarten - Grade 2.

- Subject teachers: Grade 3 - Grade 12.

Subjects: English, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies,

Drama, General Music, Modified Physical Education,

Instrument Music, Teacher- librarians.

- Work Hours: Monday - Friday 07.30 - 16.00 with occasional

after hours duties.

If you have any queries please do not hestitate to contact me

on [please PM this poster]

And if you will not be able to teach at the school at this time

please reply to me so I will be able to contact you in the future.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soonest.

Best Regards,

Jiri

[no phone numbers please]

Ijustwannateach:

I feel that there may be a fourth tier, as least here in the north. There are plenty of private schools which will pay anywhere from 25-40k depending on experience. Not quite what you would consider tier two for your area, but kinda an in between. It is rather easy to get one of these jobs, but I feel the extra money comes at a huge cost to personal and vacation time.

In Bangkok there is really a 3-tier situation.

1. True-blue international school teachers with gold stars in their belly-buttons: from 120K-200K and even more a month.

Very few openings are available per year and on-paper qualification levels are the highest possible; it's really quite hard to get these jobs even with the highest qualifications if you're already in Thailand. There are apocryphal stories from time to time that a local gets hired (especially in maths or sciences) but at reduced wages.

2. Well-done Thai EP program teachers: from 60-70K on up, plus decent benefits. Really, to be attracting the better talent short of those who qualify for job type #1, you now need to be offering at least 70K, insurance, a flight home once in a while, and full legal paperwork. Teachers in this group have subject-specific experience and qualifications, and usually a fair amount of teaching experience, too. They are hired by the smallish number of Thai EP programs who really seem to be doing things seriously; however staffing is becoming more of a problem as the number of these programs proliferate.

3. The rest: typical TEFL (usually 25-30K) and mediocre MEP/EP programs (30-40k)- other benefits and paperwork minimal or absent. The better and more qualified and experienced teachers in this group usually discover group#2 after a year or two and move on. Definitely not a category for a younger person to stay in for a career, especially without proper paperwork; however, this can be a rewarding choice for older pensioners who are quite qualified and simply want something to do.

Just my take on things.

As an addition.

1) are usually applied for offshore at teacher hiring conventions held about 4 - 6 months before the next school year. That is the easiest way in for most people with a teaching quailfication.

Onshore applicatins are harder, and you have to be in the know. Wifey worked part time at Harrow for a bit before she had our daughter. I think the rate for a sub teachers there was 4K per day, paperwork and insurance taken care of, but nothing else on top.