The Lotus Sutra

camerata

Is there any agreement on the origin and authenticity of the Lotus Sutra? There seem to be a number of different ideas: that it was a discourse given by the Buddha only to advanced disciples, that it was hidden in a stupa for 800 years, that it wasn't actually the Buddha's own words but it was a synthesis of his authentic teachings on absolute truth as opposed to relative truth, that it was written over a period of time by Mahayanan scholars, etc.

In some cases, the way in which it has developed, especially into Amidism, seems more like devotional monotheism and contradictory to Buddha's teaching. But is it generally accepted that the core Mayahanan scriptures such as the Lotus Sutra are in accord with Buddha's ideas if they don't actually originate with him?

Is there any agreement on the origin and authenticity of the Lotus Sutra?
Among Mahayana sects there is total agreement that it's authentic. Few Theravada Buddhists would agree.
In some cases, the way in which it has developed, especially into Amidism, seems more like devotional monotheism and contradictory to Buddha's teaching. But is it generally accepted that the core Mayahanan scriptures such as the Lotus Sutra are in accord with Buddha's ideas if they don't actually originate with him?

Same answer: generally accepted among adherents of course, not necessarily accepted elsewhere. In fact the Theravada/Mahayana schism occurred because adherents of what was to become Mahayana Buddhism wanted to introduce a total of 2184 chapters to what was generally accepted at the time (2nd C BC - 2nd C AD, depending on your sources of course) as the original sutras. Vajrayana - a branch of Mahayana or not depending on how you look at it -- accepted these "extras" and added on top of those a number of Tantric Indian texts, plus some of their own (new sutras written in Tibetan only, ie, not translations of Sanskrit).

I think the key - if you're a person given to scepticism - is, as you imply, whether it's consonant with other sutras. On the one hand one could say the Lotus Sutra appears to be an independent creation (on the basis of discourse analysis), incongruent with the Tipitaka, but on the other hand, who knows? Sectarian Buddhism, like any other spiritual path, is a Pascalian wager. You pays yer money and you takes yer chances.

Followers of the Lotus Sutra claim that it's the highest teachings of the Buddha. However in the Tripitaka, as far as I know, one sees no prose indicating that one sutra is more important than another.

Edited by sabaijai

Pure Buddhist instructions are only those that have been received through a pure, unbroken lineage from Buddha Shakyamuni

Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, Joyful Path of Good Fortune

My understanding of this quote is that a sutra is only pure if it was transmitted by the Buddha and that all subsequent translations have been overseen by an enlightened member of the lineage. So you could say that the authenticity depends not only on it's origins but also the quality of the translator.

Further more Mahayanaists believe that you need to receive the aural transmission of the text from a lineage holder to receive full benefit. I.E you need to hear the text from someone who has the actual realisation being talked about within their mental continuum.

In Great Exposition of the Stages of the Path Je TsongKharpa refers to the great fault.

"The great fault is the fault of rejecting Dharma as a result of wrongly discriminating  between Buddha's scriptures. ...... We are also rejecting Dharma if out of sectarianism we maintain that some scriptures are unnecessary for higher practitioners, thinking, for example that some scriptures are for Bodhisattvas and others are only for those who have a more  limited aspiration."

I would therefore be very wary of following one sutra to the exclusion of all others.

Is there any agreement on the origin and authenticity of the Lotus Sutra?

Firstly,I don't really want to get involved with the question of 'authenticity' of the Lotus Sutra (LS) based on where it may,or may not have been discovered.If only becuase I don't know the answer to that question-and (with respect :o ) think find it slightly irrelevant.

The opening line of the sutra opens with: "Thus I have heard",or "I have heard thus".This 'I' represents the disciple who originally heard this sutra.Most sutras that begin with the same opening line would have been recited by Buddha Shakyamuni's cousin and closest disciple Ananda,who memorized all the teachings and and recited them verbatim.

It is widely hels that the LS contains the authentic teaching of the Buddha on the Dharma.That is,the law that underlies all other laws.Before the LS a variety of sutras were expounded upon as means or expedients to lead living beings to enlightenment.The significance of the LS is in the Budddha wanting to unify the three vehicles,Sravaka (direct hearer)-Pratyekabuddha (seeker of enlightenment by and for himself,a 'private Buddha) and the Boddhisattvas of the Greater Vehicle-those hearing the Buddha's ideal of working in the world for the salvation of others.The Great Vehicle teaches us that there is only on true and perfect enlightenment ,that of the Buddha.Anyone, without exception, can attain Buddhahood.Buddhahood is not confined to those who practice away from the rest of the world.There are not two worlds-the everyday world and the world of spirit-but the one.The Boddhisattva ideal is to realize enlightenment in the everyday world ,and its mission is to deliver people from suffering.

Amongst the praises offered to the Buddha in ch.7 of the LS are the oft quoted words:

'May the merits we have accumulated by this offering be distributed among all living beings,and may we and all living beings together attain the enlightenment of the Buddha'.

Needless to say that The Great Vehicle teaches not enlightenment for self alone ,but for the salvation of all beings without exception!

Without getting into doctrinal disputes,it is worth noting that the Buddha says in, the LS ,that the 'hearers' are really Boddhisattvas.The LS is very liberal (less critical of the Lesser Vehicle) compared to other Mahayana texts in that it says, that those performing practices derived from the Lesser Vehicle are assured of future Buddhahood.

It is not that the LS can be held to be apart from all of the the other Sutras-this is a grave error and misconception based on poor understanding-but can only be read as being part of the continuum of all other sutras,that is, until the Buddha sheds off expediency and reveals his true enlightenment ,his compasionate desire for all beings to be enlightened in this world and the Tathagata's true and eternal being.

cf. LS chapter XV1

In essence.this precious gem is the treasure tower of all sutras and needs to be read/studied for oneself to gain the benefits from so doing (to help navigate the LS's more difficult aspects ,parables and applicability I have recommended elsewhere,and cite again [below] an excellent introduction.)

Although ultimately it a question of having faith borne from encountering the absolute Buddha.

'This does not mean that we should believe blindly.But a faith ,not only inspired by the experience of something beyond our ordinary capacities.We can evaluate it by means of our intellect and reason,and form our own mental attitudes...Mental attitudes can be right or wrong ,they can be noble or base.Faith that is formed through wrong mental attitudes in nothing more than superstition.Of course there can be no errors in Sakyamuni's(sic) teaching.'

Introduction To The Lotus Sutra~Shingo Suguro.

"I am always thinking:

How I can cause all living beings

To enter the supreme way

And quickly become Budhas"

LS,ch.XV1

"Because I have great compassion,I do not begrudge anything.I am fearless.I wish to give the wisdom of the Buddha to all people.I am the great alms giver to all living beings.Follow me ,and study my teachings.When you see good men,or women,who believe in the Wisdom of the Buddha,you should teach them the Lotus Sutra"

LS,ch.XX11

"If one is going to take faith at all, then among all the various teachings of the Mahayana and the Hinayana, provisional and true doctrines, one should believe in the one vehicle, the true purpose for which the Buddhas come into the world and the direct path to attaining enlightenment for all living beings."

~Collected Works of Nichiren Daishonin.

"No other doctrine can surpass the Lotus Sutra, a great lantern that illuminates the long night of the sufferings of birth and death, a sharp sword that can sever the fundamental darkness inherent in life."

(ibid)

Nam-myho-renge-kyo.

• 2 weeks later...
it was hidden in a stupa for 800 years, that it wasn't actually the Buddha's own words but it was a synthesis of his authentic teachings on absolute truth as opposed to relative truth, that it was written over a period of time by Mahayanan scholars, etc.

I have instigated a thread regarding some of your questions elsewhere,and have so far received some authorative replies.

http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php...opic=8033&st=0&

HTH