Where Is The Best Tailor Or Suit Shop In Bkk?

EUROPORTUGAL

I recently had a suit made in Bangkok. Following the advice given on this thread i tried to seek out Raja's. I did an internet search which came up with a site about Raja's near Sukhumvit road.

I had a suit made with 2 pants for 15,000 THB.

I am quite pleased with the suit but now realise that the Raja's I went to was the wrong one. The Raja's I went to is on the corner of Soi 11. So beware - more than one Raja's. :o

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The one that i've been using frequently is Crown Tailors on Sukhumvit road soi 8. The tailor over there's been treating me very well over the years and has provided me with numerous suits and shirts with amazing prices and quality. So personally if ure in need of a tailor with good quality stitching and a guy who knows what hes talking about, try out this place.

• 4 months later...
Manhattan on Rama 6 has always served me well. Huge joint. Massive selection. They will pick you up anywhere from Bangkok, feed you beers while you're shopping and deliver suits whereever you want, even overseas. Competitive pices too.

Just do yourself 1 favour - stay away from Manhattan Tailors - they're a bunch of pushy salesman who promise the world to get your money by offering bribes, like beer, while you sit in their shop. They insist you pay the full amount before the suit is made and now i know why!! I had 1 rushed fitting and the suit was promised to be delivered to my hotel 3 days later by 11am since i had a plane to catch.

No suit arrived - i called them and asked where it was. They lied and said the suit had been delivered to my hotel reception. I checked with hotel reception and alas, the suit was not there. I called back and they said, "oh, sorry, they were mistaken, its on the way now".

Anyway it arrived an hour and half later (obviously a rush job because they had forgotten about it). Poor quality stitching, pants too short and the suit was wet and frizzled. There were still pencil lines all over it on it that the tailor had forgotten to erase!!!

A Thai lady recommended this place to me, but now I'm certain it was a setup. Please do yourself a favour and spend your money elsewhere on a decent suit with REAL material and quality finishings.

At the worst, you'll be glad you stayed away from the pushy salesman :o .

Manhattan on Rama 6 has always served me well. Huge joint. Massive selection. They will pick you up anywhere from Bangkok, feed you beers while you're shopping and deliver suits whereever you want, even overseas. Competitive pices too.

Just do yourself 1 favour - stay away from Manhattan Tailors - they're a bunch of pushy salesman who promise the world to get your money. They insist you pay the full amount before the suit is made and now i know why!! I had 1 rushed fitting and the suit was promised to be delivered to my hotel 3 days later by 11am since i had a plane to catch.

No suit arrived - i called them and asked where it was. They lied and said the suit had been delivered to my hotel reception. I checked with hotel reception and alas, the suit was not there. I called back and they said, "oh, sorry, they were mistaken, its on the way now".

Anyway it arrived an hour and half later (obviously a rush job because they had forgotten about it). Poor quality stitching, pants too short and the suit was wet and frizzled. There were still pencil lines all over it on it that the tailor had forgotten to erase!!!

A Thai lady recommended this place to me, but now I'm certain it was a setup. Please do yourself a favour and spend your money elsewhere on a decent suit with REAL material and quality finishings.

At the worst, you'll be glad you stayed away from the pushy salesman :o .

I would just buy a suit back home. I've used 3 tailors here since I've arrived in 2002. I haven't been satisfied with any of them. They were all okay but I can buy a good quality, good material suit for US$200 back home at Men's Warehouse. I find that all the tailors here want to make suits in a European cut (tight legs). I also can't find material as good as I find back home. Bought a great suit on sale back in the US for 450 dollars and it has lasted for about 8 years now and it is made of the best material. If you want a great suit and it doesn't need to be tailored, then just buy it at home.

agree with posters who say a cheap suit isn't worth having.

you really only need about 4 suits that will last practically forever - charcoal, navy, pin-striped, and herringbone or beige linen (depending on climate). a tux/dinner jacket is optional 5th.

good quality material lasts and is obvious to the educated eye. think of it as a long term investment that wont embarass you even in the finest venues.

i'd recommend ermenegildo zegna either off-the-rack, or if you prefer, buy zegna material and let your own trusted tailor make the suit.

"... look for a sticker 'Taylor of the Year 2007'..."

Of course, that would be posted by a person who can't spell. But, even with a "Tailor of the Year" sign, it means nothing. You'll find taylors, opps, I mean "tailors", with ridiculous signs: "#1 Tailor of Asia", "The only tailor approved by the United Nations", and various "ISO 9000" and "ISO 14000" signs. THey mean absolutely nothing. Too, fabric selvage (the narrow piece of fabric that's cut off) will have fabric content and country of origin, is frequently counterfeited. So, "100% Worsted Wool woven in Roma" could be rayon spun in Malaysia.

So where do you get yours Boris? I too would rather not use the Indian tailors - the reason being that they have a set idea in their mind what a suit should look like (huge padded shoulders and a baggy cut) and use substandard cloth. Would like to hear of other options and am not too concerned about the price.

Try Dino's near Soi 12 Sukhumvit.Good quality and service but not cheap.

I first used Dino''s in 1992. Bought two suits of good quality. I am an attorney and wore them to work and court. Wore each of them one time each week for almost three years (dry cleaning them once or twice a month). Stopped wearing them only when I out grew them (unfortunately). Make sure you pick good material, and have two to four fittings. Make sure that the pants are lined, and inspect the seams. If something does not seem right, ask for it to be changed (afterall it is your suit). If you do not know what you want bring a picture.

• 2 months later...

I was in Bangkok in March this year, the tuk tuk driver took us to Manhattan tailor as they had promotions for the tuk tuk driver. Anyway, we went there and had two suits made and three shirts. The service was good, however the male tailor there are really pushy especially one of them, his name is Mike. They wouldn't give you any pricing until you select your style and material in the end all of that cost me $600USD. They had a week to do it as well. Mike wanted me to pay right on the spot, but I said I will put a deposit but won't pay the total until I get my suits.

I went to try the suits afew days later and they had to alter it, and one of my mum shirt was a copy and they couldn't get it right, around the sleeves. She said it felt really uncomfortable, like the sleeves keeps twisting...

Anyway, my suit didn't turn out nice, it wasn't fitted properly. Definitely wouldn't recommend anyone going there.

Agree with jbsears.

Have tried many tailors and the quality is not very good. I wear a suit everyday and thus buy many suits every year and I can buy a designer, usually italian or japanese on sale for about $500 and it is far better than anything you can get in thailand custom. I usually buy things on sale at the end of the season which means thinking a bit ahead. I also find that unless you have an unusual build, off the rack designer suits with some alterations are way better than something made by hand by someone getting paid almost nothing. All the tailors, or most use the same factories. What they do is do a good job on the first or second and get progressively worse. The biggest problem is that when you lok at a material, no matter how nice, it is not always right for some cuts and thus these tailors don't take this into account. When soemthing is being offered by a designer label, they know their fabrics and what they are cable of and the cuts that work best for the materials.

Tokyo and Seoul are especially good for buying at end of season as they have amazing deals for less than cost.

The tuk tuk drivers all know the best tailors and will drive you there. Afterwards, they'll set you up with some nice jewelry too at one of the numerous jewelry shops. :o

On a more serious note, I heard there are good tailors in Hong Kong. Cheap prices and good craftsmanship. Anyone else validate?

I was in Bangkok in March this year, the tuk tuk driver took us to Manhattan tailor ...snip...Anyway, my suit didn't turn out nice, it wasn't fitted properly. Definitely wouldn't recommend anyone going there.

What a sad story.

what about that NARRY guy with all the ads in the inflight magazines. 2 or 3 ads in each mag! its narry this and narry that.

he has a NARRY hotel and a big narry beard.

its fascinating that ad- it has like a hundred logos in the ad: narry tailors and THAILORs and baaz narry narry i'm going narry crazy!!!

The tuk tuk drivers all know the best tailors and will drive you there. Afterwards, they'll set you up with some nice jewelry too at one of the numerous jewelry shops. :o

On a more serious note, I heard there are good tailors in Hong Kong. Cheap prices and good craftsmanship. Anyone else validate?

Yes! I have used a tailor (allbeit not cheap) in Hong Kong for many years. Ying Tai. They also come to the USA twice a year to take new measurements and allow you to purchase new clothes which are then mailed to you in a few weeks. Head and sholders above anything I have gotten in Thailand before.

hello to everybody

i would like to buy some suits in bangkok

but i really do not know to choose a good( quality) tailor shop or just a suitshop

in bangkok

i need you help about that

who can it give me a postal address or website of good tailorshop or suitshop

in bkk?

can you give me any tips to choose a good one?

thnak you for your atention and time

sincerely yours

europortugal

Next to ShangriLa, instead of going up the ramp to the entrance, take the Soi down beside the hotel. he isn't the cheapest, but he does tons of work for hoteliers and farangs working in BKK. Use him once or twice a year, proper fittings etc etc.

what about that NARRY guy with all the ads in the inflight magazines. 2 or 3 ads in each mag! its narry this and narry that.

he has a NARRY hotel and a big narry beard.

its fascinating that ad- it has like a hundred logos in the ad: narry tailors and THAILORs and baaz narry narry i'm going narry crazy!!!

hahahhahahahhahahahahahhhaahhhahah!!!! its interesting narry iteself poses in his advertisements! hahahahahahahahahaha

i'm becoming obsessed with narry and his ads. its sort of a cult thing. i'm thinking of staying at the narry hotel in phuket so i might be able to meet him and get an autograph.

i have never seen so many logo's in an ad.

i especially like the poses of narry as well.

i just wrote this haiku poem for narry:

tailoring bespoke

wind through your long beard

logo logo logo

hello to everybody

i would like to buy some suits in bangkok

but i really do not know to choose a good( quality) tailor shop or just a suitshop

in bangkok

i need you help about that

who can it give me a postal address or website of good tailorshop or suitshop

in bkk?

can you give me any tips to choose a good one?

thnak you for your atention and time

sincerely yours

europortugal

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I found another threat where suits are discussed in depth: http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/messagep...amp;iCountryId= The general consensus ther is that for the high end customer, Narin Couture is top. Rajawongse http://www.dress-for-success.com and Raja's are mentioned, and Tanaka (?).

The one fabric you are unlikely to find anywhere in Bangkok will be real cashmere. And most cheap suits are made from polyester, often labelled as "silk". Sure, lots of fabrics bear names like "England" or "Italy" but this doesn't mean or prove that these fabrics were made in Europe.

To be on the safe side, just get a shirt and a pair of pants made and see how they fit. How is the cut? A jacket or suit is very complicated and most local taylors use incredible amounts of padding wool on the shoulders.

Also, it would be a good idea to know in advance what you want: 2 or 3 buttons? Be specific.

Why bother with some taylor who caters to tourist? A guy harassing people passing his shop or someone relying on taxis or tuk tuks to bring him customers? We all saw these offers: 2 suits, 2 trousers, a few shirts, a few ties... all for anything like $ 139. You can bet this will be poor craftsmanship and synthetic materials. Besides, taylors tend to bait and switch, so you end up paying a lot more because that special deal means you would have to buy a suit in light blue polyester as this is the only fabric he sells at this price. So you end up haggling about the price of materials.

YOU WILL NEED SOME FITTINGS FOR A SUIT.

To start getting better service and prices, often one has to come again. Local tayloers often try to cater to all customers, even those wearing plastic shoes and wanting a suit for $ 89.

Sams on Soi 19 right down the street from the Asoke BTS station. Not cheap but Damm fine quality and they are used to making suites for big men, westreners with large shoulders. My dad is huge 6'6 280lbs with wide shouldures and long arms. They did a few suites for him that look GREAT!
I was there yesterday, but saw only "SAM'S LODGE" and the taylor shop is now called http://www.ambassadorfashion.com First time around, the haggling was horrible. I knew I was overcharged but the second time (I came for a fitting), the attitude changed and prices fell by 30%. And all that b.s. about this fabric costing so much more was dropped and I could choose freely. Of course, I'm afraid all my fabrics contain synthecics. ** The shoulders had horrible padding which they corrected. The attention to the corrections was good - the end result is quite pleasing. but for a final verdict, one has to wear the clothes for a few years...

The "Taylor of the Year" won't be doing any of the cutting himself, anyhow.

Ask some of the farang senior managers of the posh Bangkok hotels :o

Naka.

Umm, I would be one of those......

I would recommend Premier Tailor, inside the mall in front of Oriental Hotel (no I don't work there), make sure you go to Premier, there are a few inside. Great service, delivery for me too. I get a great deal as everyone in my 'posh Bangkok hotel' uses them. 7000 for a suit, and one shirt included....