Where Is The Best Tailor Or Suit Shop In Bkk?

EUROPORTUGAL

You ever wonder why there are so many Tailors in Thailand? It's a scam.

My Indian friend tells me the suits only cost them 1,300 to manufacture.

The "seamstress" makes 200bt to put it together.

They will try to upsell the "better fabric".

The suits are usually cheap crap.

Maybe you can get a decent suit but I'm doubtfull.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello to everybody

i would like to buy some suits in bangkok

but i really do not know to choose a good( quality) tailor shop or just a suitshop

in bangkok

i need you help about that

who can it give me a postal address or website of good tailorshop or suitshop

in bkk?

can you give me any tips to choose a good one?

thnak you for your atention and time

sincerely yours

europortugal

try Jim Mann on Sukhumvit Rd (near Asoke BTS) they are Chinese - not Indian

TAILORING CASUAL TROPICAL WEAR ?

The mere thought of wearing a suit in Thailand leaves me feelin' hot'n'bothered. I find off-the-peg casual wear from a department store has a poor and variable fit, and often needs adjusting for length. So what about made-to-measure cotton/cotton mix trousers and short-sleeved shirts for tropical travel?

Has anyone specifically ordered smart but lightweight casual wear at a Thai tailors? How about Chino-type, and corduroy cottons for trousers? The corduroy I have seen sold in Sampeng market is awful quality, but some of the pure cotton shirt materials are good European imports. Do commercial suiting tailors have much stock of casual materials? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Go to Kittiphan at 293-5 Samsaen Rd. They are reasonably priced, and the work they did for me was truly world class, for comparison I used a pair of pants from a $2000 suit tailored by one of San francisco's top tailors (waiting list of over 6 months), and the tailoring was of equal quality, the fabric from the $2000 suit might have been a little better, but it was close. Kittiphan does top quality work, and you won't pay through the nose. I paid $175 for my pants, but because of the cut I wanted, they probably used nearly twice as much material as someone else would need. They qouted me around $500+ for a suit, but again that was a really unique suit, so I would think a "normal" suit would be a lot cheaper. Hope that helps.

Also... Just in case, beware od D'Oriental Fashion. I'm sure that in your search for quality tailoring you will never find them, but in case someone else is reading, at D'Oriental Fashion they are total scam artists. They make all their money on tourists that are brought there by tuk-tuks. They -will- con you, so stay away. I hundreds of dollars there, so learn from my mistake and stay away!

can anyone confirm this about kittiphan? It sounds excellent....

TAILORING CASUAL TROPICAL WEAR ?

The mere thought of wearing a suit in Thailand leaves me feelin' hot'n'bothered. I find off-the-peg casual wear from a department store has a poor and variable fit, and often needs adjusting for length. So what about made-to-measure cotton/cotton mix trousers and short-sleeved shirts for tropical travel?

Has anyone specifically ordered smart but lightweight casual wear at a Thai tailors? How about Chino-type, and corduroy cottons for trousers? The corduroy I have seen sold in Sampeng market is awful quality, but some of the pure cotton shirt materials are good European imports. Do commercial suiting tailors have much stock of casual materials? Thanks.

I used Pauls International, 205 River City for shirts recently, nice enough guy and quality was spot on. Not cheap, not too dear.

Edited by Cobalt60

• 9 months later...

I have made suits and shirts many a times in the Land of Smiles and have never been disappointed. I have paid between 8000 - 12000 Baht a suit. The good thing about the tailors I use is that they do not lie about the content of the fabric. Most tailors will say the fabrics are cashmere or merino wools made from Italy as they are labelled on the fabric. The tailors I use will let me know which fabrics are from Thailand and they also stock real wools from England and Italy but those start at B 35000 a suit - I am not interested in those as the range he makes for me are perfect! I have tried many tailors but the two that I keep going back to are Inders Fashion (www.indersfashion.com) on soi 11 Sukhumvit road and Sarto di Moda (www.sartodimoda.com) on soi 22 Sukhumvit Road. Depending on the hotel I stay in, I go to one of these tailors and have never been disappointed!

I've just had a few more shirts done at Rajas. Great stuff. Also getting a suit done at Rajawongse's for the first time as Rajas didn't have the fabirc I wanted. Very happy with first fitting. Spent about 15 minutes with the actual tailor with my jackets minus sleeves and pockets etc, getting the fit just right (I am picky). Looking forward to next fitting.

Very happy with suits, shirts and pants from Rajas in the past BTW - but you have to be firm with Bobby sdo you don't get railroaded into the stadnadr stuff he wants to fit you with - especially if yoiu are particular about a certain style or fit.

Looking at all the above, it is clear that there is not 1 or 2 really good tailors in Bangkok. everyone has their own opinion.

Anybody use off the rack suits? There are millions of brands. I think you need to have a generic body type though.

Hate to say it, but everytime I have ordered custom clothes in Bangkok I have been dissappointed. I always have had much much better luck with some of the higher end spots in Hong Kong. I know these are typically more expensive, but at the end of the day, there is a certain level of you get what you pay for. Sort of like comparing the Mens warehouse and Brooks Brothers.... or Nordstom.... in the USA.

Just my 2 cents....

I can recommend one used by many farangs and local business men - Pinky Tailor. It's located near Ploenchit BTS, between sumkhuvit soi 2 and 0, at the end of Mahatun Plaza block. Cheapest suits go for 4000-6000thb with the most expensive being 60000thb. Very high quality and fast too. Pinky himself said you should invest at least 8000-10000thb in order to get one with reasonable fabrics. There's room for bargaining though. If you go there, look for the manager himself, middle-aged not Indian looking man.

My first post btw :o

I've been using Siam Emporium regularly since 1977. They carry an above-average selection of fabrics, and their cut carries a moneyback guarantee. The main shop was on the 2nd floor of Siam Center until a year or two ago, when it moved to Sukhumvit at the corner of Soi 8 but they still have a branch shop called Alla Moda in the same spot in Siam Center, 2nd floor. Tel 0 2251 9617

I haven’t got the greatest body ever and its hard to find formal shirts, pants and suits that fit me well and make me look a little slimmer then I am. Then I found one in Bangkok, Thailand. Savile Row Tailor in Bangkok provided me with 6 excellent suits, 15 beautiful looking shirts and 12 fantastic, well cut pants and all at a very reasonable price. I’ve had good comments after comments about the clothes I wear to work nowadays and haven’t felt as great as I have in ages. I no longer have to go shopping for formal clothes. So I’d highly recommend Savilerow Tailors for anyone looking to make tailor made clothes out there. They provide excellent service and I’ve had the priveledge to get my clothes tailored there and will not hesistate to go back again and again to them. The best part is they’re located in the centre of town which was very easily accessible for me. Location – Inside rose hotel, suriwong road,near patpong street

[email protected]

Holland Bennett

• 1 month later...

Yep... Rajawongse are good. It's a father-son operation and they, Jesse and Victor, are always friendly and very professional. They also have insanely good memories. I mean, the 2nd time I went there was about 2 years after the 1st but as soon as I walked in the door Jesse was like "good afternoon Mark, how are you?" almost as if id seen him only days before!

• 3 weeks later...

I tried Raja's a few years ago, for just some shirts and pants. I am pretty tall (195CM) and buying off the rack shirts and pants even in the states is rather time consuming. I also was not looking for the cheapest they had on offer. Long story short, none of the shirts would button on the collar (I doubt I put on that much weight in a weeks time), and one pair of pants was two inches shorter than the other three pair.

I did not have a suit made but from what I recieved for shirts and pants I would not recomend him. I will say that I came back to Thailand a month later with my reciept and showed him the pants that were two inches short and he made me a new pair. Still the quality was not very good.

I am relocating to BKK soon and I will probabally try another tailor but not Raja's.

I choose Rajas Suk 4, Bobby, like many many more, and they do a good job.

Just remember you get what you ask for, so make sure you stop them if they try to rush.

I'd be happy to recommend Crown Tailors in Sukhumvit soi 8. And also to give them time and to get your fittings done. This way you know before you walk out of the store that everything fits you and if not, voice your opinions out loud to the owners.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an interesting experience with Sukhumvit area (mostly Indian) tailors lately that gives you some idea of what kind of operation most are running.

I had some regular day-to-day pants I needed tailored, taken-in at the waist, because of being a trimmer dude now after a year in BKK. So I went around checking with tailor shops wanting them to alter the pants so they'd fit again properly. I probably went thru four different shops with each saying no, they won't do alternations (but they would be very happy to sell me a new suit, made where, I have no idea.)

One of the few shops I found that does do misc. alterations is the Needle King shop near Suk Soi 12. Their alternations prices were reasonable, and I had my pants back in two days. They, of course, also asked if I was interested in them making a new suit for me.

If a tailor shop won't/can't do in-house alternations, I'm not interested in talking to them about making any other clothes for me.

• 1 month later...

I dont think anyone here really has any knowledge of what a good suit is. All of these Indian tailors are just scam artists, they have no knowledge of tailoring and just send the orders off to 1 of 3 sweat factories in Bangkok who deal with everyone. It costs them about 1500 baht in materials to make these supposed 'suits' and another 150 baht for the sweatshop labor.

What amazes me is that most foreigners seem to be unable to tell the difference between silk and polyester, all of the rubbish they pass off as silk is cheap polyester which is the worst material to wear in a hot climate.

I personally get my suits made in HK, Tokyo is also good during sale time.

I dont think anyone here really has any knowledge of what a good suit is. All of these Indian tailors are just scam artists, they have no knowledge of tailoring and just send the orders off to 1 of 3 sweat factories in Bangkok who deal with everyone. It costs them about 1500 baht in materials to make these supposed 'suits' and another 150 baht for the sweatshop labor.

What amazes me is that most foreigners seem to be unable to tell the difference between silk and polyester, all of the rubbish they pass off as silk is cheap polyester which is the worst material to wear in a hot climate.

I personally get my suits made in HK, Tokyo is also good during sale time.

I couldn't agree more.

While the suits I have made in Hong Kong are not cheap... probably the same price as a good suit in America, they are truely Bespoke! My tailor from Hong Kong comes to the USA 2 times a year and takes orders in a hotel room and 4-6 weeks later the clothes appear! Almost as good as in Hong Kong itself!!!

• 3 weeks later...
I couldn't agree more.

While the suits I have made in Hong Kong are not cheap... probably the same price as a good suit in America, they are truely Bespoke! My tailor from Hong Kong comes to the USA 2 times a year and takes orders in a hotel room and 4-6 weeks later the clothes appear! Almost as good as in Hong Kong itself!!!

I would say all Bangkok tailors are the same and majority of the world tailors are just fabric sellers.

Now its time to judge them by the quality for the fabric skills that they are good at . Very important for a tailor who is truthful and honest and dont overcharge you.

In America the tailors work the same way they just measure you up and outsource it to hong kong or china or Thailand and they charge at ripping rate of 1000 dollars for a suit.

All tailors in Bangkok are hit and miss depending how busy are they when customers place an order.

I usually go to Excelsior in Bangkok since he has been doing me a good job for a long time and have been really happy with the price and quality.

The shop is hardly attractive enough to snare walk-ins along Bangkok's touristy Suriwongse Road. Set in a row of nondescript shops, it consists of one narrow room stacked with bolts of cloth.

For me they are the best if you are loooking for good fabrics quality.

I can recommend one used by many farangs and local business men - Pinky Tailor. It's located near Ploenchit BTS, between sumkhuvit soi 2 and 0, at the end of Mahatun Plaza block. Cheapest suits go for 4000-6000thb with the most expensive being 60000thb. Very high quality and fast too. Pinky himself said you should invest at least 8000-10000thb in order to get one with reasonable fabrics. There's room for bargaining though. If you go there, look for the manager himself, middle-aged not Indian looking man.

My first post btw :o

I went to Pinky's about 2 yrs ago after having him recommended on this site and other forums.

I spent 25,000 BHT which included a few shirts and an extra pair of trousers, i am not suit expert and hate wearing the things but this one seems terrible to me.

Whilst the fabric is of good quality, he put the thickest shoulder pads in imagineable, when i have as broad and heavy set a pair of shoulder a man can have, it makes me look like a steroid freak in a cheap suit on his way to court.

If i ever buy another one it'll be off the shelf as at least i know what im getting and can then take it to a tailor to get altered to fit.