Hairstyle Regulations Are ‘damaging Children’

george

Hairstyle regulations are ‘damaging children’

BANGKOK: -- You’ve heard of television damaging children, but according to one Thai researcher, today’s young people in Thailand are facing the new menace of overzealous school hairstyle regulations, which, he claims, infringe the rights of children, cause unnecessary distress, and may result in truancy.

Miss Wallaya Phumphakdeephan, a doctoral student at Srinakharinwirot University, claims that her interviews with school pupils shows them to be ‘extremely worried’ about hairstyle regulations.

Noting that every teenager wants to look good, Miss Wallaya describes hairstyle rules as ‘trampling on the rights of children’, causing distress among young people.

However, she says, the problem does not stop there.

Feeling distressed and downtrodden, the children look for acceptance elsewhere, generally among their peer group, some of whom may then lead them astray.

She quotes a schoolgirl as saying: “The matter of hair causes enormous stress among pupils, causing truancy and the inability to concentrate on studies”.

Miss Wallaya also quotes children as noting that hairstyles and the use of intelligence are two separate issues, and should not be confused at school.

“At very least I want adults to listen to the views of children”, she says, calling for children to be treated with respect.

--TNA 2004-09-06

You what??!

Can't figure out what the "news" content in that was at all, let alone what the kids/researcher is moaning about.

"Noting that every teenager wants to look good, Miss Wallaya describes hairstyle rules as ‘trampling on the rights of children’, causing distress among young people.

However, she says, the problem does not stop there.

Feeling distressed and downtrodden, the children look for acceptance elsewhere, generally among their peer group, some of whom may then lead them astray.

She quotes a schoolgirl as saying: “The matter of hair causes enormous stress among pupils, causing truancy and the inability to concentrate on studies”.

Are they complaining about too many regulations or too few? If the only thing that is causing lack of concentration and truancy is hairstyle worries, the give 'em all pudding bowls, girls and boys, and be done with it. Like the standard school uniform, will soon do away with the jealousy factor. :o

Can't figure out what the "news" content in that was at all, let alone what the kids/researcher is moaning about.

I guess this follows up from the news article in the Bangkok Post last week about a teacher snipping of part of a childs ear, while trying to implement the strict short hair code at one of the local schools.

I suppose a lot of students would be stressed not knowing when some overzealous teacher is going to come after them with a pair of gardening shears! :o

I was under the impression that the rules on haircuts have been relaxed

I believe they have.

The school kids I know are still expected to get their hair cut, but there is more tolerance over length and I have not seen any chunks cut out lately.

I used to take my son for a haircut every 3 weeks, now 4 - 5 weeks is acceptable.

The media report is just hot air.

Why should children suddenly be damaged? The rules about crew cuts for boys have been in place for decades.

Miss Wallaya Phumphakdeephan, a doctoral student at Srinakharinwirot University, claims that her interviews with school pupils shows them to be ‘extremely worried’ about hairstyle regulations.

This is the topic for a doctoral dissertation? :o