Shortest Degree In Bangkok

9(Anyone aware of what the shortest degree I could do would be (TIMEWISE)??

I really am not keen on another 3/4 years of studying but it keeps getting drilled into me that I wont get anywhere without the degree.

Its no use doing it in the UK as my other half has a job at an International School in BKK starting in August.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just seen the sticky re: continuing study in thailand... some very useful information there.

Am now thinking about a part time degree @ Ramkhamheng University however I cant seem to see if I can study part time/evenings etc. Anyone aware of this?

OU is also an option....;

just seen the sticky re: continuing study in thailand... some very useful information there.

Am now thinking about a part time degree @ Ramkhamheng University however I cant seem to see if I can study part time/evenings etc. Anyone aware of this?

Your logic makes no sense to me. You first ask for a degree that will take the shortest possible time, and then say you want to study part time. It doesn't work this way in reality. I am on track to finish a four year bachelor's degree in two and half years.

I am only able to do this through full time study, 4-5 days a week from 9 am- 4 pm and then doing two, two month summer sessions at the end of each year. Maybe you should just go to Khao Saan.

Edited by mbkudu

Your logic makes no sense to me. You first ask for a degree that will take the shortest possible time, and then say you want to study part time. It doesn't work this way in reality. I am on track to finish a four year bachelor's degree in two and half years.

I am only able to do this through full time study, 4-5 days a week from 9 am- 4 pm and then doing two, two month summer sessions at the end of each year. Maybe you should just go to Khao Saan.

Great advice.............I don,t think. :o

How does my logic not make sense? I am not keen on 3/4 years full time studying at University. However I will need to be working (taking CELTA at International House) in September and as such wont be able to undertake a FULL TIME (Mon- Fri) course. I didnt realise I could take part time courses or even distance learning until I read the sticky, hence the change of heart!

It was a question to see if anyone was aware of part time course that can be taken in the evening or at weekends, perhaps I should have worded it better.

Great advice on Khao San Road. Not... I have 13 GCSE's, 2 Advanced GNVQ's and A Levels. I really dont think I would consider an option which would get me kicked out of a country where we plan to stay!

What I dont want to do is 3/4 years full time or even 2/3 for that matter and if having a degree will further my TEFL career I seriously think my best option is a part time course. If at all possible....

Great advice.............I don,t think. :o

Maybe but how can you get a decent degree both quickly and part time?

I know there are degree mills but a decent Uni will want to know the motivation for doing the degree and just doing one quick does not really cut it.

If I got a CV where a degree was less than 3 years full time it would ring all sorts of alarm bells and if accepted for interview a lot of tough questions would be asked - but maybe they do not care about this in Thailand.

I know the sacrifices I am making currently for my MBA and want the most out of it - not just a quick certificate. I could probably do an easier route than I am and take an easier option for dissertation but thats not really the point in doing it.

You can do a degree part-time here. Of course you can, but it will take longer than the normal 3 to 4 years. Does this make sense? I think it is just not physically possible, but maybe I am wrong.

Edited by mbkudu

You can do a degree part-time here. Of course you can, but it will take longer than the normal 3 to 4 years. Does this make sense?

Thanks, do you know where I could find more info on part time courses. It wouldnt bother me if it longer than 3/4 years, this was only the issue when the course was "full time"

Thanks again/

I would try emailing a few universities here like Ram, Chula, Thammasat, ect to find out. Ram's international program is quite flexible. There are some students who work around the scheduling and go two or three days per week then work the rest of the time.

Surrey:

Visit www.framingham.edu and go under graduate courses online. Framingham offers a whole set of graduate level education courses online. I bet within 2 years you would have a masters in education. Framingham is a real college in the USA with a real campus. It is a teacher's college so the degree would mean something if you ever decided to leave Thailand. At $800 for 4 graduate hours you can't beat it. They also have tons of professional development courses online. These courses are taught by teachers who were actual classroom teachers. I have used them before to keep my USA teacher's license current. I also have a masters in Education from them. Don't waste your time with the Thai universities, a degree from them outside of Thailand is no better than a mediocre high school education. If you really want to be a teacher do it the right way.

Just my thoughts.

Turok

Surrey:

I have something better. Here is the program that they offer locally in Thailand. It is a full masters degree in International Education. Look at the Thai education System! And then look who will be teaching you courses at these Thai univeristies. Products of the system! No way would I waste my cash with them! Get a real education not some simple Thai degree. Check out the backgrounds of the teachers and you will see that they are well qualified in their fields. At the time I took the program it was only $100 per credit hour. Give your resume some credibility otherwise you will continue working in the real bottom tiered schools with the ridiculously low pay,

Here is the listing:

http://www.framingham.edu/dgce/iep/index.html

Go under program sites on the left hand side. They still offer it in Thailand at KIS. They offer it all around the world as you will see. So you could get the full masters degree in 2.5 years.

Good Luck

Turok

Turak... thanks for that, was really excited until.....

# The applicant must have earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.

Clearly I cant take this as I haven't got a degree as yet!

Thanks anyway, really appreciate any help..

Ed

Surrey:

I have something better. Here is the program that they offer locally in Thailand. It is a full masters degree in International Education. Look at the Thai education System! And then look who will be teaching you courses at these Thai univeristies. Products of the system! No way would I waste my cash with them! Get a real education not some simple Thai degree. Check out the backgrounds of the teachers and you will see that they are well qualified in their fields. At the time I took the program it was only $100 per credit hour. Give your resume some credibility otherwise you will continue working in the real bottom tiered schools with the ridiculously low pay,

Here is the listing:

http://www.framingham.edu/dgce/iep/index.html

Go under program sites on the left hand side. They still offer it in Thailand at KIS. They offer it all around the world as you will see. So you could get the full masters degree in 2.5 years.

Good Luck

Turok

Unfortunately this won't help the OP of the post, but it may help me. It certainly looks worth looking into. Thanks for posting the link.

Others have mentioned about chula , ram, etc. Some of my ex highschool students are at SIIT (a part of Thammasart)this year, doing a variety of courses, including engineering. There are a variety of entrance exams to take, e.g maths, english, physic, science, etc. I think if you have your O&A levels you will be fine.

Look here: http://www.siit.tu.ac.th/home_en.php

Next entry is in March I believe.

Seems to me you're trying to find a fast-track bachelor's degree.

In reality, that would be extremely ambitious and you'd have to spend the entire time for the degree and follow the relevant courses in their respective periods.

You do however, have an alternative.

Most uni's offer summer courses and if possible, check with them about possible enrollment in those as well in addition to your regular semester time.

This way you could probably cut your time down to about 2.5 years.

Keep in mind that this would require you to be of exceptional IQ and have the drive to finish a 4 years course in almost half the normal time.

Are you prepared to do that?

Edited by varun

Varun - did you read my previous posts????

I will be taking a CELTA - FULL TIME and looking for FT Work and the course needs to be part time as I have previously said I am not bothered if it takes 5 years...

I am not after a "fast track" degree as you put it.

Thanks anyhow.

Ed

Surrey Couple now says he does not want a fast degree. The CELTA takes four weeks, no more. Full time work may allow time to study whilst at the job. Still, you're not looking at five years; you're looking at more like 7 or 8. Definitely worth the effort, although evening school is probably not like day school. I know an Australian who started off slowly at uni, and didn't get serious until he married. Ten years later, going to school in evenings, he had a great long term job at a bank, a BBA with honours, and an MBA in economics. However, he had almost no time for family.

Of course, going to uni in Thailand may require less studying than in the West.

Just a few things that need to be clarified. First, what exactly is your goal? I can only surmise that because you are posting on this forum that you want to teach.

If this is the case, then a degree is a good idea--whether or not you get one quickly or over a longer period of time is irrelevant.

If you are married to a person who has a work permit that you can get a non-immigrant visa as well. If you aren't married, then you may have to be a full-time student to get a student visa. If you have a non-immigrant visa under you spouse, you can probably get a teaching job--not exactly legal--but for most people and a lot of places, it's the visa regulations that cause the biggest problem.

Best of luck to you. And yes, stay away from Khao San Rd and some of the diploma mills--the Ministry of Education has been looking at uncertified schools offering degrees. And Khao San--well there's lots of information and what happens to people who get sprung on those degrees.

Best of luck to you.

Scott - My goal is to start a career in TEFL, I want to teach and see it as a new career and a new start. Am more than happy to take 7/8 years to do a degree.

"If you are married to a person who has a work permit that you can get a non-immigrant visa as well. If you aren't married, then you may have to be a full-time student to get a student visa. If you have a non-immigrant visa under you spouse, you can probably get a teaching job--not exactly legal--but for most people and a lot of places, it's the visa regulations that cause the biggest problem"

Planning on getting married within a month or 2 of arriving in Thailand - she has got her way at last lol... What bearing does this have on me obtaining a visa - am a entitled to a different visa. Sorry if I sound stupid repeating things, so much information taken in over the last month it is falling out of my ears!

Stevemiddie - Yes you are correct, OH has accepted a position at an International School commencing August - any reason why?

Once again guys, cheers for your input here...

Scott - My goal is to start a career in TEFL, I want to teach and see it as a new career and a new start. Am more than happy to take 7/8 years to do a degree.

"If you are married to a person who has a work permit that you can get a non-immigrant visa as well. If you aren't married, then you may have to be a full-time student to get a student visa. If you have a non-immigrant visa under you spouse, you can probably get a teaching job--not exactly legal--but for most people and a lot of places, it's the visa regulations that cause the biggest problem"

Planning on getting married within a month or 2 of arriving in Thailand - she has got her way at last lol... What bearing does this have on me obtaining a visa - am a entitled to a different visa. Sorry if I sound stupid repeating things, so much information taken in over the last month it is falling out of my ears!

Stevemiddie - Yes you are correct, OH has accepted a position at an International School commencing August - any reason why?

Yes.......you may get some better advice on here regarding 2005 events. You are looking at a lot of options for the degree....all of which will cost a fair bit of dosh............but you may still not be eligible for a WP. I would seek advice on this forum.

Surreycouple: Yes, if your wife has a work permit, then you can get a non-immigrant visa based on her working here. I think it is a non-immigrant O visa--someone can correct me if I am wrong.

We have a number of employees who have their spouses living here. It doesn't legally entitle you to work, although you are at least not stuck with the visa runs and all the other things that go along with it.

Quite a few places have no trouble in hiring people for part-time/full-time work who in such a position. Again, don't confuse it with being legal, but it is possible. To the best of my knowledge, none of the folks doing this have had any problems.

I'll throw in a quick post while I'm at work getting paid, especially since I haven't contributed much lately.

The Op wrote "I wont get anywhere without the degree".

So why would you want to live in a place where such a mentality is needed?

The best part of my two years in Thailand, I just realised, was the day I left. I have loved being back in farangland from day 1 and am now having second thoughts about continuing uni just to get a degree so a bunch of thick headed people from a backwards culture can accept me. Having a degree won't make you a better teacher unless it's an education related degree, it will just improve your general academic abilities and give you extended knowledge in the areas you study. There are other methods around getting a degree, if you want to stay with your Thai wife, bring her to farangland; if you want to teach English, teach where a degree is not required but where you will be rewarded for your skill. You must be nuts, like I once was, for wanting to waste so much time and money for an un-needed education and a piece of paper needed to keep people from second world country happy. Honestly, if the Thai way of thinking was right, there wouldn't be so many problems and so much poverty throughout Thailand. If you want a degree to fulfill you childhood dream, fair enough, but I'd honestly consider not doing it if it's for any other reason. My degree is now 1/6th finished, it's been a lot of work so far, but since it was only to be used to teach English in Thailand, which is no longer a plan, finishing the degree might also be no longer a plan, because here in civilisation, you can make good maoney and be happy and respected without the piece of paper you need there..........

Good luck.

Okay, okay, rather than ranting, I might as well try to help out.

I am currently doing my degree through Open Universities Australia. www.open.edu.au

All the degrees are from well recognised Australian universities. The degree is NOT an online degree, it's a degree you complete as an external student, the degree is identical to that of an on campus student. You can finish a full time 3 year bachelors degree in 1.5 years or take up to 10 years part time. The reason you can finishs it so quick is because the offer 4 semesters a year to external students and you can study a max of 4 classes per semester. You need 24 credits (classes) to graduate, so you can do 4 x4 = 16 in year 1 and then 2 x 4 = 8 in year 2 and have finished the degree in 18 months. Thats a 3 year bachelors degree. Or, you can do it like I do, 1 unit per semester and still finish the degree in 6 years. It is a lot easier doing 1 class at a time over 4 sememster per year than 2 classes at a time in 2 semesters a year like part time on campus students do. So to finish the degree in 3 years, you would only need to do 2 classes at a time and devote a max of about 20 hours per week to studying. Anyway, it s very flexible and you just enrol in classes whenever you want, you just need to follow the degree requirements. There are no entry reuqirements (shit students fail) and you will need to study hard. International students pay a bit more than Aussie citizens. Anyway, the time frames above sound ideal to your circumstances. You could even study 1 class and then 2 classes every other semester and you would still finish the degree in 4 years with minimal distraction to your life, thats kinds of how I plan to do it so I can work full time. You only have 10 years to finish the degree once you start your first class though. Dergrre are available from good universities like Macquarie, Monash, etc. Anyway, the website is up there, I'd chack it out. The cost in $AUD is not too much more than a Thai degree, but at least your degree would be of better quality and recognised world wide.

Sorry for the quick post and messy typing. Back to work now.

I'll throw in a quick post while I'm at work getting paid, especially since I haven't contributed much lately.

The Op wrote "I wont get anywhere without the degree".

So why would you want to live in a place where such a mentality is needed?

The best part of my two years in Thailand, I just realised, was the day I left. I have loved being back in farangland from day 1 and am now having second thoughts about continuing uni just to get a degree so a bunch of thick headed people from a backwards culture can accept me. Having a degree won't make you a better teacher unless it's an education related degree, it will just improve your general academic abilities and give you extended knowledge in the areas you study. There are other methods around getting a degree, if you want to stay with your Thai wife, bring her to farangland; if you want to teach English, teach where a degree is not required but where you will be rewarded for your skill. You must be nuts, like I once was, for wanting to waste so much time and money for an un-needed education and a piece of paper needed to keep people from second world country happy. Honestly, if the Thai way of thinking was right, there wouldn't be so many problems and so much poverty throughout Thailand. If you want a degree to fulfill you childhood dream, fair enough, but I'd honestly consider not doing it if it's for any other reason. My degree is now 1/6th finished, it's been a lot of work so far, but since it was only to be used to teach English in Thailand, which is no longer a plan, finishing the degree might also be no longer a plan, because here in civilisation, you can make good maoney and be happy and respected without the piece of paper you need there..........

Good luck.

The best piece of advice the OP can get, I couldn't agree more.