Shortest Degree In Bangkok

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got through talking to an older homeless American gentleman over near the Asoke BTS. Some of you here may have seen him around town (I saw him on Silom about 2 months ago). He sits on the sidewalk with a suitcase in front of him that has some paper taped to it. On the paper it says 'Work Wanted, expatriate with experience in Asia, the Middle East, Europe, oil exploration, construction, journalism. Then a CV of the countries and news agencies he has worked for over the years from the early seventies to the present. His latest job was on a merchant marine, the ship was impounded, so he is out of work. It goes on to say that his wife has sold their house and assets. I talked to him for about 20 minutes and he isn't asking for money or hand outs, just a job. I told him that the university I attend in Bangkok is always looking for foreign professors. He said he has no degree, so it isn't possible. He said a few people have offered him unpaid work based on possible commissions in the future, but the work never came through. He claims the main obstacle for him is his age and lack of degree, but his experience looks quite impressive if it is what he says it is.

Anyway, a word to the wise: Get your degree because life is only going to get harder for everyone in times to come.

When Kerry Paker, the richest or once richest man in Australia was asked why he didn't let his sone go to university (I think his son James is now the or one of the richest men in Australia) he claimed: "Why would I want my son to go to university to learn how to smoke marijuana?"

And, did the homeless man know what major he would have liked a degree in? You say, get a degree because you will need one. But, I don't see the point in having a degree with a major that is not related to your profession anyway. You say having a degree with any major still means you have an education, but if you have intellegence to begin with, what's the point of just having a degree?

I say only get a degree if your 100% sure what you want to do and make sure the degree's related, if not, why bother just to please others?

I'd rather invest my money in property and other things that will give me the same or an even better return than the slightly higher salary I might get by having one beautiful piece of papaer with my name on it.

Peace out.

The guy made some wrong turns in life, and if he had made the right turns, he wouldn't be where he is now. If, however, he had a degree, there would be an easier way out. I suppose it always helps if one has rich parents, but many do not. There is an old Chinese saying that goes something like: Give me an education over a million dollars; I could easily lose the money, but if I've got the education, I can't lose it. (Depriving a young person of the joys of experimenting with marijuana seems a bit archaic).

Yes, by all means, peace out.

Edited by mbkudu

A degree is like the key to a door. It can open doors, but you don't have to use it if you don't want to. It's about options. If someone has a degree they can still work as a fry cook in a restaurant if they want. But if you don't have a degree, you may have to work as a fry cook in a restaurant when you don't want to.

It's about options.

I've not known too many people who have been hurt by having a degree, but I know people who are suffering from not having one.

Right, Scott. My degree got me a govt. job as an accountant, even though the degree wasn't in accounting. I then worked part time as well, as fast food handler, waiter, dishwasher, etc. But the unrelated degree (plus a 120 hour TEFL certificate) got me a job as a matayom teacher in Thailand.

The OP is gone......... Maybe he has gone away to get his degree? Hopefully not from the university of Khao San :o

PB: "But the unrelated degree (plus a 120 hour TEFL certificate) got me a job as a matayom teacher in Thailand."

Do you think you could still have the same job without that degree? I was legal with a WP & a TL without a degree (I do have a diploma in TEFL though). If you don't think you could have landed the same job without your degree how does that make you feel about yourself?

Scott: The right people will always be able to open doors with or without the key. It's all about how you market yourself. The right person with the right attitude and mindset will always overcome small issues like not having a degree (well, at least where there is common sense). Sorry, I forgot you are positng from LOS (Land Of Stupidity). You worked at Sarasas right?

mbkudu: Are you joking? The guy is a bum because he made some bad choices. I reckon he'd still be where he is today even if he had a degree. In Thailand, he might be able to pick up a job if he had a degree and he framed it and placed it on his lap while sitting on the sidewalk. A degree will not make a loser into a winner. Maybe it will in Thailand. Maybe the Thai's would give a bum a job just because he has a degree therefore making him supposedly someone. But in reality, degree or no degree, this guy can not blame his bad luck for not being able to land a job due to him not having a degree. I feel for this bum, honestly, but I think it's about more than just lacking a degree.

How do I say I miss the stupid arrogance of the Thais in Thai?

Phom miss ngo arrognace Khun Thai.......... something like that?

Sorry if I seem to be ranting, that's just the opinion of one arrogant Aussie asshol_e, me! Yes, I might no longer be in the beautiful land ya'll are in, but I still remember a thing or two, or maybe just one thing about how it was like there.

Thanks, aussiestyle, for making me not look like the most arrogant teacher, or the most anti-Thai poster on this forum.

When I applied (it was one of the top name old govt. schools in the north), a degree was a requirement. When they ran out of candidates, they took a guy without a degree, who couldn't do the job well. aussiestyle, a full review of your posts would show an on-again, off-again attitude on your part, whipsawing from "I really need a degree!" to "I don't need no stinkin' degree!" I hope you decide to get a degree; it took me until age 29, on and off again. Good luck trying to get by without a bachelor's but don't be surprised to have some doors slammed in your face.

In summary, there will always be so-called 'schools' in Thailand who take any lukewarm, fairly White body. And there will increasingly be real schools in Thailand that slam the door in the face of those without a real degree.

Thank you PB, I am glad someone else regards me as the most arrogant prick in here! :o

In regards to my on and off ranting, yes, I am aware that you need a degree to teach legally in Thailand if everything is done by the book. My attitude stems from the fact that I teach for other reasons than most others. I don't teach to earn a salary, I teach because I actually enjoy it and to just kind of help out. I loved teaching in Thailand. But, since I am not desperate for money or any job, I kind of feel like getting a degree just so that I can do something I don't really need to do or am desperate to do is a waste of time.

I realise that there are a lot of people, and losers, stuck there in Thailand because they are unwanted or have messed up back home. These people are more likely to need work, therefore needing a degree. I on the other hand, just want to help out in my spare time, and after landing a pretty good paying career back in farangland with no plan on comming to Thailand until I retire in another 40 or so years, that kind of makes me want to scrap the idea about getting a degree, especially since I might not even teach at all if I retire in Thailand.

You see, I don't rush into things or panic like a lot of others. I weight up the pros and cons. And, in regards to getting a degree The pros and cons seem to be equal, well as a matter of fact, the cons slightly outweigh the pros. Studying, is taking up some of my time I could be spending at work. Anyway, Of course I want a degree, most people want a degreee, I also want a million dollars like most others as well. Not having everything you want is not really a big deal because most people don't have everything they want. By not having a time consuming and money wasting degree is really no skin off my nose, especially if it means I will be able to spend more time focusing on my career.

Lets face it, the word degree is everywhere in Thailand. Since most people there are poor, I can understand why. like MBKUDU said in his little Chinese saying, give me the degree over a million dollars. Thai's valuse their education because that's pretty much all the have. Since being back here in farangland, seldom do I hear the word degree, which makes me stop and think, maybe there is something wrong with the way all the degreeless farangs are acting in Thailand, being so desperate for a piece of paper that makes them part of a special community.

Anyway, I plan to finish my degree, and like PB, I will be around 29 when I finish. I'm only studying 1 subject at a time so I can focus on the career I got without the degree. I might pick up the pace and finish in 2.5 years at the age of 26, but I know I'll be finished for sure by the age of 29. Either way, when I'm ready to retire there and if I feel like teaching the wonderful Thai students again one day, I might be able to land a job easier, because I won't be a young, white and good looking as I am today, I'll be 40 years older, have grey hair, and most likely a poorer attitude than I have now (if possible), but I'm sure the Thai's won't care and they'll give me a job anyway if I flash my degree.

PB: In summary, there will always be so-called 'schools' in Thailand who take any lukewarm, fairly White body. And there will increasingly be real schools in Thailand that slam the door in the face of those without a real degree.

Don't forget, a lot of schools hire lukeworm, fairly white boys with degree as well. A degree doesn't necessarily mean that a person is not a criminal. Sorry, my bad, I forgot, in Thailand it does :D

Edited by aussiestyle1983

Some believe that to be able to teach ESL one should have good communication skills.

In my opinion, spending four years obtaining a degree in whatever discipline is all about learning and improving communication skills, both receptive and productive. You are then tested on your ability to understand reading material and lectures by producing papers, reports and essays. I understand that many people have excellent communication skills and have never obtained a degree. A degree from a university is a handy criterion for those who hire and place teachers in teaching positions.

You see, I don't rush into things or panic like a lot of others. I weight up the pros and cons. And, in regards to getting a degree The pros and cons seem to be equal, well as a matter of fact, the cons slightly outweigh the pros. Studying, is taking up some of my time I could be spending at work. Anyway, Of course I want a degree, most people want a degreee, I also want a million dollars like most others as well. Not having everything you want is not really a big deal because most people don't have everything they want. By not having a time consuming and money wasting degree is really no skin off my nose, especially if it means I will be able to spend more time focusing on my career.

Aussiestyle, I'm sure if you're intelligent and resourceful you'll achieve your goals reasonably well without a degree, and it's hard yakka doing study if your heart's not in it. Still, a degree's almost a rite of passage now for your generation, so you wouldn't want to be disdavantaged later, even if it's for no good reason. In any case, Nataraja's points are worth considering.

One question: I think you said earlier that your current study is by distance mode, "not an online degree". However, the universities connected with the Open University in Australia offer degrees through both distance mode and online mode. (Maybe the latter is more for postgrad courses.) Last time I looked, external mode consists of printed matter sent to the student and essays returned by post, exams done at a centre somewhere. Online mode provides the readings and lecturer input online and requires participation in discussion forums as well as essays and, sometimes, exams. Both forms of education have equal weight in the Australian university system. The difference is mainly to do with the technology. I'm not aware of any organizations in Australia that provide a mail-order type degree, but then I've been away for a while.

Aussiestyle, I'm sure if you're intelligent and resourceful you'll achieve your goals reasonably well without a degree, and it's hard yakka doing study if your heart's not in it. Still, a degree's almost a rite of passage now for your generation, so you wouldn't want to be disdavantaged later, even if it's for no good reason. In any case, Nataraja's points are worth considering.

One question: I think you said earlier that your current study is by distance mode, "not an online degree". However, the universities connected with the Open University in Australia offer degrees through both distance mode and online mode. (Maybe the latter is more for postgrad courses.) Last time I looked, external mode consists of printed matter sent to the student and essays returned by post, exams done at a centre somewhere. Online mode provides the readings and lecturer input online and requires participation in discussion forums as well as essays and, sometimes, exams. Both forms of education have equal weight in the Australian university system. The difference is mainly to do with the technology. I'm not aware of any organizations in Australia that provide a mail-order type degree, but then I've been away for a while.

The degrees that Open Universities Australia offer are degrees identicle to those that on-campus student get from the relevant universities. That is why there are not that many degrees to choose from. They only provide degrees that you could actually obtain without the need to physically attend university. That is a reason you can not get education related degrees, because most education degrees require prac work that distance students can't participate in. Open uni just provides a more felixble and affordable mode of studying. The bachelor of Arts I'm doing, through the open uni will be a Macquarie Uni degree. If you do the degree on campus at Mq uni, you fees are about three or four times as much, you have to fit in with their schedule, and so on. I get four semesters per year where as the on-campus students only get two. So really, I only have to study half the number of classes per semester to do the same study load PA. That's why i chose to get the same degre through the open universities. At the end of the day, I will get the same degree and the same recognition and to top it off, I will attend the same grad ceremony as the on-campus students. They might say, my degree is better because I attended campus. I will say, good for you, but I have the exact same degree, I paid about a fourth of the tuition fees as you, and, I managed to earn a decent salary and take out a mortgage all while attending uni. Who do you think will be really better off in the long run?

As for delivery mode. You have to by textbooks from the uni book shop or order online. You have electronic access to the university's library (no need to physically go to the library). You need to either purschase course readers or download them. There are many weekly readings to go through. You need to participate in weekly online discussions, if you don't, you loose marks. You get sent a lecture CD in the mail. Essays are the same, you submit and do them just like on-campus students. Exams are either online and timed, once you hit begin, the timer starts counting. Or, exams are sent to an approved exam handler for the uni and you then actually need to go somewhere physically to do the exam. It's hardly an online degree. In fact, there is more effort required to get a degre through open uni Australia that on-campus students in Thai universities need to put in (an ex-thai studnet doing an OUA degree told me). I actually think a degree from a Thai uni is more like an online degree, because in Thailand "pay your fee, get your degree". LOL

Do farangs in Thailand really think Almeda university is real? I remember seeing so much mail from Almeda uni in my appartment building in Bangkok. Seriously.......

The degrees that Open Universities Australia offer are degrees identicle to those that on-campus student get from the relevant universities. That is why there are not that many degrees to choose from. They only provide degrees that you could actually obtain without the need to physically attend university. That is a reason you can not get education related degrees, because most education degrees require prac work that distance students can't participate in. Open uni just provides a more felixble and affordable mode of studying. The bachelor of Arts I'm doing, through the open uni will be a Macquarie Uni degree. If you do the degree on campus at Mq uni, you fees are about three or four times as much, you have to fit in with their schedule, and so on. I get four semesters per year where as the on-campus students only get two. So really, I only have to study half the number of classes per semester to do the same study load PA. That's why i chose to get the same degre through the open universities. At the end of the day, I will get the same degree and the same recognition and to top it off, I will attend the same grad ceremony as the on-campus students. They might say, my degree is better because I attended campus. I will say, good for you, but I have the exact same degree, I paid about a fourth of the tuition fees as you, and, I managed to earn a decent salary and take out a mortgage all while attending uni. Who do you think will be really better off in the long run?

As for delivery mode. You have to by textbooks from the uni book shop or order online. You have electronic access to the university's library (no need to physically go to the library). You need to either purschase course readers or download them. There are many weekly readings to go through. You need to participate in weekly online discussions, if you don't, you loose marks. You get sent a lecture CD in the mail. Essays are the same, you submit and do them just like on-campus students. Exams are either online and timed, once you hit begin, the timer starts counting. Or, exams are sent to an approved exam handler for the uni and you then actually need to go somewhere physically to do the exam. It's hardly an online degree. In fact, there is more effort required to get a degre through open uni Australia that on-campus students in Thai universities need to put in (an ex-thai studnet doing an OUA degree told me). I actually think a degree from a Thai uni is more like an online degree, because in Thailand "pay your fee, get your degree". LOL

Do farangs in Thailand really think Almeda university is real? I remember seeing so much mail from Almeda uni in my appartment building in Bangkok. Seriously.......

Thanks for the explanation, AS. Good point about an external/distance mode degree having to be one that can be done that way; hence a pre-service education degree that requires a practicum could only be partly done by distance mode or online. However, postgraduate Education Studies could, in some cases (e.g. Educational Administration).

However, you're still associating Australian university online studies (as offered by Macquarie, Australian Catholic University, University of Southern Queensland, etc.) with the kind of life experience degree offered by Almeda, etc. in the States, where you "pay your fee, get your degree", as you say. I've done Australian postgraduate uni courses via all modes - attendance, distance mode (print materials) and online. They've all been equally weighted, provide the same testamur and transcript and have all been equally demanding. And yes, you get to go to the same graduation ceremony if you want to.

Aussieland, sorry to hear the bitterness in you. I don't quite get where it's coming from if you are content with things. Lots of people don't have degrees and do well and are completely happy. There dreams might be shattered if they come to Thailand however, with the goal of teaching.

I know a number of people here in Thailand who teach but who don't have degrees. Some were 'grandfathered' in because they had taught for a long enough period of time that the new regulations don't apply to them. Some simply have a different type of visa and don't have to worry about a work permit and either choose to teach for pay or do volunteer work. This is less than legal buy at least for now, laws and enforcement are relatively lax.

I have no big fire in my belly that tells me I have to stay in Thailand, nor do I have any illusions that my presence here is significant. I have a home country and it is my home. Thailand is not. When this country becomes 'hostile' enough to me, I will most likely leave. In the meantime, I am here and would prefer to spend my time as productively as I can.

Again, degrees are about options and if you don't plan or need to have the option, then so be it. A lot of people do need the option and, therefore, should get a degree.

Xangsamhua: "However, you're still associating Australian university online studies (as offered by Macquarie, Australian Catholic University, University of Southern Queensland, etc.) with the kind of life experience degree offered by Almeda, etc. in the States, where you "pay your fee, get your degree", as you say."

How so? I mean, Almeda and those online degrees are actually not online degrees at all, they fall into the diploma mill catagory. Those places take you money, usually only a few hundred dolllars and send you a fake degree without completing ANY studdies. Open Uni degrees are far from that, and far from the "pay you fee, get your degree" on-campus Thai degrees as well, where failing is not an option. As I said before, like it/ believe it or not, o\open uni degrees are identicle to on-campus degrees (same major of course!).

So many Open Uni students drop out and fail. They think it will be a walk in the park, little do they know the teachers are harder when marking us because they think we have more time on our hands. You need to spend at least 8 hours per week studying and listening to lectures per class, that does not include the time it takes to prepare 1,000 - 4,000 word essays and research reports, etc. Anybody who thinks an Open Uni degree is an "online degree" refering to online degrees as degrees from Diploma Mills, is either totaly unaware of how the open system works, or just in denial.

Scott: "Again, degrees are about options and if you don't plan or need to have the option, then so be it. A lot of people do need the option and, therefore, should get a degree."

Spot on. Don't complicate your options to begin with and you should get by without a degree. Experience and knowledge of what your doing counts for a lot more. That's why less % of people studying in Australia are doing tertiary education and a greater % are doing vocational training.

Scott: "Aussieland, sorry to hear the bitterness in you."

I do aplolgise to all of you, especially the ones I communicated with on a more regular basis whilst living in the land of s. I am an arrogant asshol_e, so I do apologise.

My bitterness come from my present situation. Everything has gone perfect with my wife and my return to Australia. The problem is that I am now forced between two options. I really want a degree, but I don't need one; however, I have already started the degree and I never start anything I don't finish, so quiting now would be against the way I do things. That's not the big issue anyway. The problem is that I paid all my fees up front, I mean the tuition fees for the entire degree, thousands of dollars, and that was fine. Now, the problem is, I have the option to buy out the other people who own part of the property I partly own 1/3 of. Since I spent most of the cash I have access to, I lack the funds to show a decent deposit to the bank to get the load to buy out these other two people. I really love this place and it is a good deal, so good, I'd proably make a lot more money out of this that I would make from the degree.

See, I really want the degree, it would be a great accomplishment for me. But to let this chance to own this property outright is very hard as well. Not many people would hrow away a chance like this just to persue the wish for a degree. What would ya'll do?

Refund fees and buy the property, or continue with studying that is already paid for?

Scott: "Aussieland, sorry to hear the bitterness in you."

I do aplolgise to all of you, especially the ones I communicated with on a more regular basis whilst living in the land of s. I am an arrogant asshol_e, so I do apologise.

My bitterness come from my present situation. Everything has gone perfect with my wife and my return to Australia. The problem is that I am now forced between two options. I really want a degree, but I don't need one; however, I have already started the degree and I never start anything I don't finish, so quiting now would be against the way I do things. That's not the big issue anyway. The problem is that I paid all my fees up front, I mean the tuition fees for the entire degree, thousands of dollars, and that was fine. Now, the problem is, I have the option to buy out the other people who own part of the property I partly own 1/3 of. Since I spent most of the cash I have access to, I lack the funds to show a decent deposit to the bank to get the load to buy out these other two people. I really love this place and it is a good deal, so good, I'd proably make a lot more money out of this that I would make from the degree.

See, I really want the degree, it would be a great accomplishment for me. But to let this chance to own this property outright is very hard as well. Not many people would hrow away a chance like this just to persue the wish for a degree. What would ya'll do?

Refund fees and buy the property, or continue with studying that is already paid for?

Get the refund and buy the property. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. After all, you might never get to finish the degree for some unforeseen reason, but you'll still have the property.

Not being rude ignoring this thread....

Have been away in Spain for a few days, the joys of owning a rental villa. No not a nice holiday, the neighbours decided to build a pool 1m from our surrounding walls, causing them to collapse under the pressure. An expensive few days and a few lessons learnt.

Anyway back on subject and to address what has got my back up the most after an already stressful week! :D

Aussiestyle, who the <deleted> are you to refer to me as a bum? I work 50hr weeks, do 10hrs VOLUNTARY help a month and run a business in Spain. You know nothing about me so don't make sweeping statements and judge people - you wont get far in life. Please also define "criminal" to me! Oh I cant wait for you to make a mistake or two in your later life and regret it.

You talk as if you have years of knowledge under your belt yet I have just noticed your age, for gods sake you rant like Tony Blair, grow up.

To quote you "The best part of my two years in Thailand, I just realised, was the day I left. I have loved being back in farangland from day 1 and am now having second thoughts about continuing uni just to get a degree so a bunch of thick headed people from a backwards culture can accept me" – Did you actually read this, you sound like an arrogant 16 year old.

To quote you once again "Are you joking? The guy is a bum because he made some bad choices. I reckon he'd still be where he is today even if he had a degree. In Thailand, he might be able to pick up a job if he had a degree and he framed it and placed it on his lap while sitting on the sidewalk. A degree will not make a loser into a winner. Maybe it will in Thailand. Maybe the Thai's would give a bum a job just because he has a degree therefore making him supposedly someone. But in reality, degree or no degree, this guy can not blame his bad luck for not being able to land a job due to him not having a degree. I feel for this bum, honestly, but I think it's about more than just lacking a degree."

You reek of arrogance you little boy. People like you always post comments like this as they feel safe in the knowledge that it is unlikely they would ever meet the person they are insulting. I believe in Karma...

I can but only laugh at you. My life is on track and looking good, i am 25, own an apartment in London, villa rental business in Spain and Antigua and have a great life with my other half, so good that we can now afford to semi-retire to a country where we both love and learn about a new culture.

You have clearly missed the point in me getting a degree, to clarify the other half is a PGCE qualified primary teacher, has a job secured at a top international school and we get a decent salary from our rental businesses. I am not a "bum" trying to tide the years over in LAS you <deleted>.

However I am young! I want to learn more, I want to teach English in Thailand and I want to get a degree. I get what I want in life as I believe you have to. I will study hard to get my degree be it whether it takes 3 years or 10 years. I wouldnt have made that decision without the advice of the people here so I thank you all. Well, 1 person knows he is not included there lol.

I apologise for the rant above, I dont want to come across as a wanke_r ranting or boasting its just Aussie"boy" needs to grow up and stop insulting people, it has a habbit of biting you back.. Apologies for ranting - it happens all too often on the forums.

Seriously, thanks for all the input you have given me so much information and avenues to explore and I am sure that whatever decision I make will be the right one.

Now back to dealing with Pedro the builder :o

PS - You cant go wrong with property if you do your research. My tip of the week : Marina Spir, Morocco... just you wait and see..

A 2 bed 2 bath appartment (110m2+) with garden, good sea views, set right into the golf range and with clubhouse membership (thats a big deal btw) and 10 year build guarantee is about £107000 and with three 18 hole golf courses (designed by Segales), small hospital, designer shopping centre, biggest marina in the Med, cinemas, small footie stadium, 2 Carrefour supermarkets and exposure to the guests of the 11 on - site 5* hotels with no further private property being allowed for 15 years... lol listen to me :D

Edited by SURREYCOUPLE

Not being rude ignoring this thread....

Have been away in Spain for a few days, the joys of owning a rental villa. No not a nice holiday, the neighbours decided to build a pool 1m from our surrounding walls, causing them to collapse under the pressure. An expensive few days and a few lessons learnt.

Anyway back on subject and to address what has got my back up the most after an already stressful week! :D

Aussiestyle, who the <deleted> are you to refer to me as a bum? I work 50hr weeks, do 10hrs VOLUNTARY help a month and run a business in Spain. You know nothing about me so don't make sweeping statements and judge people - you wont get far in life. Please also define "criminal" to me! Oh I cant wait for you to make a mistake or two in your later life and regret it.

You talk as if you have years of knowledge under your belt yet I have just noticed your age, for gods sake you rant like Tony Blair, grow up.

To quote you "The best part of my two years in Thailand, I just realised, was the day I left. I have loved being back in farangland from day 1 and am now having second thoughts about continuing uni just to get a degree so a bunch of thick headed people from a backwards culture can accept me" – Did you actually read this, you sound like an arrogant 16 year old.

To quote you once again "Are you joking? The guy is a bum because he made some bad choices. I reckon he'd still be where he is today even if he had a degree. In Thailand, he might be able to pick up a job if he had a degree and he framed it and placed it on his lap while sitting on the sidewalk. A degree will not make a loser into a winner. Maybe it will in Thailand. Maybe the Thai's would give a bum a job just because he has a degree therefore making him supposedly someone. But in reality, degree or no degree, this guy can not blame his bad luck for not being able to land a job due to him not having a degree. I feel for this bum, honestly, but I think it's about more than just lacking a degree."

You reek of arrogance you little boy. People like you always post comments like this as they feel safe in the knowledge that it is unlikely they would ever meet the person they are insulting. I believe in Karma...

I can but only laugh at you. My life is on track and looking good, i am 25, own an apartment in London, villa rental business in Spain and Antigua and have a great life with my other half, so good that we can now afford to semi-retire to a country where we both love and learn about a new culture.

You have clearly missed the point in me getting a degree, to clarify the other half is a PGCE qualified primary teacher, has a job secured at a top international school and we get a decent salary from our rental businesses. I am not a "bum" trying to tide the years over in LAS you <deleted>.

However I am young! I want to learn more, I want to teach English in Thailand and I want to get a degree. I get what I want in life as I believe you have to. I will study hard to get my degree be it whether it takes 3 years or 10 years. I wouldnt have made that decision without the advice of the people here so I thank you all. Well, 1 person knows he is not included there lol.

I apologise for the rant above, I dont want to come across as a wanke_r ranting or boasting its just Aussie"boy" needs to grow up and stop insulting people, it has a habbit of biting you back.. Apologies for ranting - it happens all too often on the forums.

Seriously, thanks for all the input you have given me so much information and avenues to explore and I am sure that whatever decision I make will be the right one.

Now back to dealing with Pedro the builder :o

PS - You cant go wrong with property if you do your research. My tip of the week : Marina Spir, Morocco... just you wait and see..

A 2 bed 2 bath appartment (110m2+) with garden, good sea views, set right into the golf range and with clubhouse membership (thats a big deal btw) and 10 year build guarantee is about £107000 and with three 18 hole golf courses (designed by Segales), small hospital, designer shopping centre, biggest marina in the Med, cinemas, small footie stadium, 2 Carrefour supermarkets and exposure to the guests of the 11 on - site 5* hotels with no further private property being allowed for 15 years... lol listen to me :D

"Aussiestyle, who the <deleted> are you to refer to me as a bum?"

You are wrong. I think Uni might be a good idea for you since you lack the ability to read and comprehend. Please find the part of any of my posts where I called you a bum and make me aware of it. The only person I referred to as a bum, was the homeless person MBKUDU was referring to in one of his posts. I simply called a homeless person a bum instead of a homeless person. Nevertheless, I will now refer to you as a person with poor comprehension abilities, since you decided to have a go at me before getting your facts straight. If you don't like it, oh well.... "who the <deleted>" are you anyway?

Like you, I am young and successful and I do whatever I want. I live where I want and I work in jobs that I want, just because I can. Sounds like you need to grow up too :D

Hopefully, SURREY will have learnt his lesson when in uni, and will spend a bit more time reading and trying to correctly comprehend any texts that he might need to write an essay about.

SURREY, just some friendly advice, during your first semeter at uni, slow down! Make sure you read any material you are required to read thoroughly and make sure you have comprehended it correctly before you write an off-topic essay and hand it in to your teacher. I think uni is a lot less forgiving that thaivisa.com when it comes to not comprehending something correctly.

Good luck! May the force be with you.... :o

Can I also suggest Surreycouple follws a course in anger-management before he comes to Thailand. Otherwise methinks he will be in for a hard time :o

Simon

That's some much needed advice. Hopefully he finds time to read it; learning your lesson in Thailand due to anger problems is most likely very unplesant.

Having said that, SURREY and his traits of being a hypocrite will fit in right in the Thai education system. Say one thing, do another. "You talk as if you have years of knowledge under your belt yet I have just noticed your age, for gods sake you rant like Tony Blair, grow up." LOL. He then goes on and says that he is only one year older than me and gives the impression that he has years of knowledge under his belt? SURREY, do you think being 25 and one year older than me means that you have years of knowledge under your belt, and I will as well once I hit the magical age of 25? Or are you just being a hypocrite? The second will make you fit in much better in LOS.

Chao :D