Two Tourists In Pai Shot By A Police Officer

invalidusername

I think it may have something to do with a sense of fair play. If a Thai national

was executed abroad by a peace officer. It would be an international incident.

Rest assured, justice would be demanded and then properly dispensed.

As far as Thais killing other Thais, if it wasn't for the international human rights

groups, I don't think that topic would have gotten near the coverage it did.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Already, we've determined that an execution took place. I'd guess some beligerent tourists insulted the wrong Thai guy. He may or may not have been a cop, doesn't much matter now does it. Lesson learned: drink lots of water, walk slowly and respect the local population. Funny, works just about everywhere.

If he is Canadian I hope his Embassy pushes things.

:o Embassies are there to promote trade, not to help their citizens; that is a very minor function. They will help the victims relatives, a bit, but as far as make waves that is not their remit.

Edited by yorkman

Already, we've determined that an execution took place. I'd guess some beligerent tourists insulted the wrong Thai guy. He may or may not have been a cop, doesn't much matter now does it. Lesson learned: drink lots of water, walk slowly and respect the local population. Funny, works just about everywhere.

Did not take long for the thai apologists did it?

The victim is now the guilty?

Stick to trying to find work for 2 year olds as your sense of morality is lost!

Sunrise07, we've all seen our share of horribly behaving tourists. These incidents

happen a little too frequently to be all written off as the tourist antagonizing

the locals. The Australian girl in Kanchanburi? What did she do? Nothing. Not

all tourists are staggering around drunk picking fights with off-duty cops. A day

may come when you find yourself in the same situation for no reason other

than you have white skin. If you wander outside your neighborhood where

nobody knows you. Another belligerent obnoxious tourist is what you are. :o

I think it may have something to do with a sense of fair play. If a Thai national

was executed abroad by a peace officer. It would be an international incident.

Rest assured, justice would be demanded and then properly dispensed.

As far as Thais killing other Thais, if it wasn't for the international human rights

groups, I don't think that topic would have gotten near the coverage it did.

Yes - plenty of publicity recently about the Thai's killed by Egyptians in a fight in the middle east!

You may turn out to be right, let's wait and see if our victim was guilt-free. It's just that every day I see tourists doing stupid, terribly insulting things here in Thailand without reproach. For the same behaviours these tourists would be carved into pieces in my home country. I don't know where you guys are hanging out, but if the Thais around you seem particularly violent, I'd ask yourselves what it is that made you choose that locale. Most of us find the Thailand we've lived in for a long time to be rather peaceful and the people rather friendly.

You may turn out to be right, let's wait and see if our victim was guilt-free. It's just that every day I see tourists doing stupid, terribly insulting things here in Thailand without reproach. For the same behaviours these tourists would be carved into pieces in my home country. I don't know where you guys are hanging out, but if the Thais around you seem particularly violent, I'd ask yourselves what it is that made you choose that locale. Most of us find the Thailand we've lived in for a long time to be rather peaceful and the people rather friendly.

What things would tourists be "Carved up" for in your home country?

And how would the victim be "Guilty" - drunk in a public place, arguing with his partner - please explain?

I do not think the Thai's are particularly violent when I go in Thailand but you should see their behaviour on a Sunday at the Golden Mile Complex on Beach Road in Singapore!!!

There are weekly fights, have been murders and machete attacks and tax idrivers avoid the place like the plague - I happened to go once with the ex when we first moved to Singapore and it was indeed iluminating to say the least! If you think tourists behave badly on the booze in Thailand you should see these guy's!

Edited by meadish_sweetball

Hmmm ok whatever,

But what we have here so far is some unconfirmed (although believable) report.

If, and its still an If, 2 drunk tourists faced off with a drunk Thai with a gun, then what on earth do you expect the result to be?

It could happen anywhere. Tragic all around if true, but no need for anybody to jump on their high horse :o

Every once in a while we read rather hidden short page 4 articles about the 2,500 Thais killed by police a few years ago. What is so frickin' important about one or two farangs that it should make page 1 in Thai newspapers?

The cover-up in your example is repulsive.

If a cover-up occurs in this case, it's equally repulsive.

The lack of justice in every instance is terrible. We need to demand a change.

It is a reality check. Volitile people here can be dangerous.

To quote all 35 responses.

Yes, tourists on a holiday often don't know how to behave in this country.

The common locals fear the police more than any farang can imagine.

Usually we farangs get the good bit of their work. So not to realize the real dark side.

I live in Pai and can confirm that there was a shooting last night. A canadian guy is dead and his female friend is in hospital in Chiang Mai having been shot through the shoulder or so I am told.

The incident certainly did not take place in a restaurant. The blood stains on the road are testament to that fact. According to witnesses, the couple in question were very drunk and fighting in the street. A local off duty policeman witnessed this whilst eating in a nearby restaurant and intervened. How the couple ended up getting shot I am not sure and has obviously been the subject of intense speculation here today. The policeman in question is a notoriously unstable individual who allegedly tried to kill himself a few weeks ago and was also rumoured to be drunk at the time of the incident.

How a domestic if very public argument has escalated into this beggars belief. Although having said that, if you have witnessed the level of drinking here amongst the coppers (whilst in uniform) as I have, then something like this, although deeply worrying is not altogether surprising.

Will update with as reliable information as I can get, when I get it.

Having been out tonight and speaking with a close friend of mine who witnessed the whole thing, it appears that when the policeman (off duty, in plain clothes yet still carrying his gun whilst rat arsed!) went to intervene, the emotionally angry and drunk farang guy did not take to kindly to this, and probably not realising the guy was a cop, pushed him over into a motorbike. The response to this was an immediate and fatal shot to the head and chest. Never could this be classed as self defence or warranted , more another example of horrendous drunken over reaction as a result of losing face. In the melee, the girl was indeed shot through the shoulder.

The policeman has been arrested and an "investigation" is under way

They will be doing well to cover this one up.

Thanks for that cclub75 - here is the article from the Nation:

MAE HONG SON

Canadian tourist is shot dead

Policeman faces murder charge after scuffle with drunk couple

MAE HONG SON: -- A Canadian tourist was shot dead and his wife wounded early yesterday morning near a pub in Mae Hong Son province after a scuffle with a policeman.

Pol Sgt-Major Uthai Dechawiwat claimed shots were fired accidentally after the foreign couple tried to snatch his pistol from him.

The 37-year-old policeman, who was released on bail after being charged with murder and manslaughter, said he had struggled to get his service pistol back from John Leo Del Pinto and his wife Carly Reisig.

He said he had used the gun to threaten them when he was down on the ground after the couple beat him up.

Del Pinto, 25, took a shot in the mouth, from which the bullet travelled through his shoulder, and another shot on the left side of his torso, while Reisig, 24, was shot on the left side of her torso.

Uthai initially fled but give himself up to Pai police not long afterwards.

Quoting witnesses, case investigator Pol Lt-Colonel Sombat Panya said the couple had been drinking in a local pub called Ting Tong. They became involved in a drunken brawl after Del Pinto, who recently arrived in Thailand, found out that Reisig had become pregnant with a Thai man known as Fuen.

The couple continued arguing after they left the pub when Uthai arrived at the scene, near a bridge, on personal business. Uthai approached them and asked them to be calm but both foreigners turned to attack him.

The officer said Uthai was beaten to the ground by the couple. After managing to get up, Uthai pointed his service pistol to threaten away both foreigners, but Del Pinto tried to snatch the pistol from him. After a scuffle, shots were fired and the couple went down.

Del Pinto died at the scene at about 2am and Reisig was sent to a hospital in Chaing Mai, where she is in a safe condition.

Sombat said he had not interviewed Reisig about what happened and no offence had yet been filed against her.

The Nation - 2008/01/07

I live in Pai and can confirm that there was a shooting last night. A canadian guy is dead and his female friend is in hospital in Chiang Mai having been shot through the shoulder or so I am told.

The incident certainly did not take place in a restaurant. The blood stains on the road are testament to that fact. According to witnesses, the couple in question were very drunk and fighting in the street. A local off duty policeman witnessed this whilst eating in a nearby restaurant and intervened. How the couple ended up getting shot I am not sure and has obviously been the subject of intense speculation here today. The policeman in question is a notoriously unstable individual who allegedly tried to kill himself a few weeks ago and was also rumoured to be drunk at the time of the incident.

How a domestic if very public argument has escalated into this beggars belief. Although having said that, if you have witnessed the level of drinking here amongst the coppers (whilst in uniform) as I have, then something like this, although deeply worrying is not altogether surprising.

Will update with as reliable information as I can get, when I get it.

Having been out tonight and speaking with a close friend of mine who witnessed the whole thing, it appears that when the policeman (off duty, in plain clothes yet still carrying his gun whilst rat arsed!) went to intervene, the emotionally angry and drunk farang guy did not take to kindly to this, and probably not realising the guy was a cop, pushed him over into a motorbike. The response to this was an immediate and fatal shot to the head and chest. Never could this be classed as self defence or warranted , more another example of horrendous drunken over reaction as a result of losing face. In the melee, the girl was indeed shot through the shoulder.

The policeman has been arrested and an "investigation" is under way

They will be doing well to cover this one up.

Omg the cop is claiming the man and wife beat him up and tried to take his gun and in the ensuing struggle (a married couple BOTH fighting the cop for his gun!) he accidentally shot them both, killing one. YA RIGHT. Hope your witness friend has the guts to say what really happened in a court of law, but I doubt this will turn out justly.

Damian

My condolences to all who have been affected.

We've got another incredible story here, that seems to be as seasonal and sure as rain. Well, they've got a good excuse don't they: a drunk farang male who beat up a poor, helpless drunk cop with a gun and snatched it away even, before being shot in the mouth, and the cheating, drunk female who started it all.

Oh, and did I say the poor, hapless cop is the one who was victimized? :o

*Whoever said that they've been quietly working on their story the last 24 hours sure got that one right. It didn't take long because they just use a template now.

** ^Damian, visualize this: the couple beat and kick the cop to the ground in their emotional blind state, take his gun, and then the cop somehow finds the strength to get up, overpower them (while they still have the gun), and then shoot them - pure Soap Operatics. Frickin' incredible, Incredible Thailand, for sure.

Edited by kat

YA RIGHT. Hope your witness friend has the guts to say what really happened in a court of law, but I doubt this will turn out justly.

Damian

My bet is on the girl. If she's indeed pregnant from another guy she'll probably be coerced to testify against the dead canadian, putting all blame on him which will keep her & the cop out of prison. The police volunteer fund might even step in with a few donations for the future baby.

Stuff of movies I know so would be interesting to see the final outcome.

YA RIGHT. Hope your witness friend has the guts to say what really happened in a court of law, but I doubt this will turn out justly.

Damian

My bet is on the girl. If she's indeed pregnant from another guy she'll probably be coerced to testify against the dead canadian, putting all blame on him which will keep her & the cop out of prison. The police volunteer fund might even step in with a few donations for the future baby.

Stuff of movies I know so would be interesting to see the final outcome.

No, unless I read this incorrectly? This is a falang woman, not bloody likely to lie against her murdered falang husband, even if she did cheat. This isnt some isaan hooker that can be pressured by her countries gangster police.

Damian

Already released on bail, how nauseating. There was a Dutch national viciously murdered here

in Chonburi and the case just recently came to trial and the killer was sentenced to death. But,

he had been granted bail and was nowhere to be found. Bail is kind of an overstatement, he was

actually allowed to pledge some title deeds to property, assessed value inflated I'm sure.

The Nation printing the report certainly lends some credibility to the whole issue. That it actually

happened, not that the given elements of the account are true in any way. I'm relieved there are

others who already recognize the signs of a cover-up and the same old worn-out storylines which

are more fiction than truth. I hope the Canadian's embassy demands more. This is really going to

be disgraceful, for the country and all the decent Thais they are dishonoring with these lies. :o

"Uthai initially fled but give himself up to Pai police not long afterwards."

Correct.

If it happened as he stated there is no reason for him to flee the scene whatsoever.

Getting drunk and arguing with your wife is not a capital offense.

The article is written like a television soap opera script.

In a domestic situation you want back-up every time if possible.

You never brandish a weapon in the hope it will cool off the parties involved; it only escalates matters.

My condolences to the Canadian's family and hoping for justice is a long shot.

~WISteve

But, he had been granted bail and was nowhere to be found. Bail is kind of an overstatement, he was

actually allowed to pledge some title deeds to property, assessed value inflated I'm sure.

Right, and as a poster above *(#53) mentioned it's not a capital offense to argue with your wife, we get the capital scam in the bail system. They set bail in a murder case, set the guy free, he does a runner with the full understanding of all involved, and the judiciary keeps the goods.

Incredible stuff.

Edited by kat

If he is Canadian I hope his Embassy pushes things.

Don't expect anything like that, after the tsunami Canadians who went to the embassy in Bangkok were deny any help even for a tooth brush.

Before this went on the news the Canadian embassy told the Canadian tsunami victims that for a new passport they will have to wait 2 weeks and find the money to pay for it but luckily this and the tooth brush story went on the news everywhere in Canada and the embassy policy changed overnight.

Every once in a while we read rather hidden short page 4 articles about the 2,500 Thais killed by police a few years ago. What is so frickin' important about one or two farangs that it should make page 1 in Thai newspapers?

Because tourism is economically important to the Thai's at 6% of GDP?

Before you say only 6% the auto indiustry is "Only" 9% and thats the only industry appears in the world top economic tables one (if we do not include prostitution, drugs and corruption).

Absolutely......Lost Dosh...and lots of it.... :D

Been and worked in most of the slightly dodgy places mentioned below ..plus fun jobbies in Nigeria ,Sierra Leone,Cambodia,Algeria,Iran.....and somehow I dont see Alf and Ruby plus bairns signing up with Tommy Cookes for their holli jollies in any of the following Beach Resorts :D ....They were all quite NICE places at one time before the lunatics took over the Ass-sigh-lems.

I for one would not wish in any way for Thailand ...Land of Smiles and all that to be included in such-sic listing.

However most ordinary rich westerners/punters.....dustbin men -lorry drivers-doctors-spivs....with a couple of sovs to splash out on could can put up with somewhere rulled by a NICE ..Military Junta ...who dont shoot too many of their own poor peasants....BUT 'eavens help us ...luv a duck...when the TOORISTs get whacked.... :D

its back to Blackpool...innit love.......bleeding 'Fird' world countries...all the same....

so...with thanks from news from no where.......and the Winner is ..........

followed by......

1. Afghanistan

With conflict in one way or another since 1979, Afghanistan is one of the poorest and most dangerous nations on earth. A typical extreme tourist trip to Afghanistan should include encountering Taliban terrorists, being kidnapped for ransom, visiting the opium fields and getting shot at by warlord controlled heroin barons (1/3 to 2/3rds of the world’s illegal opium comes from Afghanistan).

Caution should be taken when sight-seeing, as the country has the largest concentration of land mines and other unexploded ordinance on earth.

Dangers

Increasingly sophisticated terrorism targeting foreigners and Western interests

British nationals under ongoing threat of kidnapping and assassination

Widespread danger from mines and unexploded ordnance

Violent protests and rioting targeting Western interests

Criminal activities and violence stemming from drug trade

Travel risk: Ultra Extreme

2. Somalia

The chances of you even getting your luxury yacht to Somalia in one piece aren’t high the waters surrounding the country have the world’s highest incidences of piracy; we’re talking heavily armed gunships, and I don’t mean Blackbeard with his cannons. Somalia currently offers the danger loving tourist a full on civil war between rival warlords. It has been without a real central government since 1991 when President Said Barre was overthrown and since then there have been 14 separate attempts to establish a government, all have failed.

Dangers

High level of criminal activity by armed militia including kidnapping and robbery

Frequent inter-clan fighting and attacks on relief workers and journalists

Piracy and armed robbery against ships in and around Somalia’s waters

High threat from terrorism against foreigners and Western interests

Travel risk: Extreme

3. Iraq

If you can avoid daily car and suicide bombings, kidnappings for ransom, torture and murder, Iraq is a beautiful, warm country with plenty of culture. Be sure to avoid all contact with other humans though; even if you avoid the terrorists and kidnappers, 36% of civilian deaths since the end of Operation Desert Storm have been related to criminal activities. Don’t go near coalition forces either, friendly fire situations are increasingly common as jittery troops shoot first and ask questions later. If the hostilities aren’t extreme enough for you, take a scenic trip to the north of the country, where there have been outbreaks of bird flu.

Dangers

Frequent kidnappings some of which result in the murder of hostages

Daily car and suicide bombings and other terrorist activity often aimed at foreigners

Crossfire between international forces and insurgents

Random and indiscriminate sectarian violence

Outbreaks of bird flu in northern Iraq

Travel risk: Extreme

4. Zimbabwe

Pack your bicycle for a rollercoaster trip through this African nation Fuel is scarce and means that there is very limited police and emergency service coverage. The fact that the police can’t get around is probably a good thing however, due to their history of brutal beatings and corruption. The nation is ruled by Robert Mugabe, whose presidency was secured by unfair elections with imprisoning and beating of all opposition.

Dangers

Violent crime, especially against tourists, including robberies and car-jackings

Fuel shortages means limited police force and general emergency services

Political demonstrations, violence and intimidation

Travel risk: High to Extreme

5. Columbia

Columbia is a country rich in resources - substantial oil fields, gold, silver, emeralds, platinum and coal, so your tourist trip could be quite profitable, if it weren’t for the violence and inherent danger in this war-torn country. Columbia used to have the highest murder rate per capita and the highest kidnapping rate per capita in the world, but has since stabilised somewhat and is a far safer place than it used to be. It therefore says something that, after all these improvements, it still has the highest murder rate per capita and the highest kidnapping rate per capita in the world.

Dangers

Nation parks used as guerrilla training camps

Kidnapping for ransom

Highest murder rate per capita in the world

Highest kidnapping rate per capita in the world

Travel risk: Very High

6. Haiti

Beautiful, tropical island in the Caribbean sea, spoiled somewhat by decades of poverty, environmental degradation, violence, instability and dictatorship. A trip to Haiti cannot be considered complete unless you’ve experienced the wrath of a Voodoo practitioner. It’s a good idea to learn a few Voodoo protection rituals towns are mostly run by criminal gangs as there is no effective police force. There’s also no British Embassy, so don’t expect to get rescued if you get kidnapped for ransom, a common occurrence for foreigners.

Dangers

Frequent incidences of violence and kidnappings for ransom

Many Haitian towns controlled by criminal gangs with no effective police force

Basics such as water and electricity unavailable or extremely limited

Attacks on the vehicles of aid agencies and diplomatic staff

No British Embassy and British Consulate operations have been suspended

Travel risk: Very high

7. Democratic Republic of Congo

With 4 million deaths since WW2, The Democratic Republic of Congo offers the intrepid tourist an exceptionally fragile political situation, with the very real chance of plunging back into a full civil war - government forces aided by Angola , Namibia and Zimbabwe , pitted against rebels backed by Uganda and Rwanda . Whilst enjoying the jungle and African climate, watch out for kidnapping attempts and rebel groups. Over 1000 people die every day from disease (including a huge AIDS epidemic), hunger and violence.

Dangers

Car-jackings, murders, and kidnappings by active-duty troops and criminal gangs

Fragile political situation, which could deteriorate at short notice

Rebel groups still active in many parts of the region

Travel risk: High

8. Mexico

Beautiful countryside, delicious food, silly hats and the highest manslaughter rate per capita in the world. If you’re looking for extreme tourism, Mexico has it all. A prime tourist location, with desert landscapes, snow-capped volcanoes, ancient ruins, teeming industrialised cities, time-warped colonial towns and glitzy resorts, it’s perhaps surprising to see Mexico appear in this list. Of course, a thriving drug trade and criminal gangs make this seemingly sleepy country a mecca for beginners to danger tourism.

Dangers

Highest manslaughter rate per capita in the world

15000 murders a year in Mexico City alone.

Travel risk: Medium - High

9. Pakistan

Domestic Islamic extremist groups, most of which are tied to al-Qaida, make this country worthy of our list. Car bombs, grenade attacks and suicide bombings are aimed at Western targets, domestic politicians and local religious minorities alike and have frequently killed civilians. Once you’ve experienced all that the cities have to offer, danger wise, try exploring the border with Afghanistan to encounter rogue groups of border hopping terrorists and mountain training camps.

Dangers

Religious extremists

Car bombing

Grenade attacks

Suicide bombing attacks

Travel risk: Medium......................TO?

10. Thailand

One of the most beautiful countries in the world, teeming with life, culture.. and crazy drivers. Little danger here of being murdered or kidnapped; most of the population are Buddhist, but once you have experienced travel on the open road here, nothing else will seem quite as scary again. Vehicles travel nominally on the left, but that doesn’t stop the 12 million motorbikes (68% of all registered vehicles) driving where they please on the road, and they don’t pay much attention to red lights or crossing pedestrians. Over 17,000 people are killed each year due to traffic accidents, mainly motorcycle related, and riding drunk, speeding, and illegally not wearing helmets is common.

Terrorist acts are on the increase here too; terrorists travelling into the country are a reminder of the darker side of “extreme tourism”.

Dangers

Traffic, Over 30,000 are injured every week

Sex crimes

Muggings and theft

Tourists being shot and killled my local drunk Policemen.

Travel risk: Medium...and now maybe..................??? :o

Rinrada what is your point here?

What about driving in Pakistan, Somalian free economy and the motorbikes of Viet Nam?

This is just jibberish, and please quote the source if you didn't go through all the trouble making it up.

We can travel all these countries if we know how to behave.

Edited by sonnyJ

from my information the girl in question had been living in pai for over a year and had a baby with a local rasta boy. you could have seem her pushing the baby around town in a stroller.

i dont think anybody really cares that the falang got killed.

the last time we heard about a bloody shooting of an innocent in pai it was a policeman as well

about two years ago a police officer gunned down his girlfriend/wife at her parents house and then shot himself thorugh the head on the street.

it seems the only dangerous people out there are the police.

and this killer - %100 free of all charges. Falang couple beat him up and struggled for the gun....haha.

What probably happened is the falangs were arguing and they looked up to see a drunk thai man pointing a gun at them. Not being in uniform, and probably not identifying himself as a police officer, they probably thought some crazy was trying to kill them and tried to defend themselves.

I can see the new declaration amoung the police force now

'you cannot drink and carry your gun at the same time'

so then the cops will be unarmed.

he probably wont be seen in pai again, but will suffer no consequences.

Edited by invalidusername

It's just that every day I see tourists doing stupid, terribly insulting things here in Thailand without reproach.

oh yes, and murder is an appropriate punishment is it? people do stupid things all over the world but they do not deserve to die for them.

A society sick at the core.

agreed. the longer i stay here the more i see and the more it disgusts me.