Schools And Play Schools

fletchsmile

Our daughter is 18 months now. I'd be interested in any recommendations for:

1) "play schools" / "kindergarten" in Narathiwas, Sathorn, Rama III area.

2) Thinking ahead we're also interested in primary schools and secondary schools in these areas, plus possibly upper sukhumvit by that time

Does anyone have any recommendations of specific places/ schools for either. At this stage: We're open minded as to Thai, bi-lingual, international etc, as well as prices. We're mainly looking for suggestions/ ideas / advice. Particularly if you send your kids to a place and are happy with it, or know someone who does.

We found it useful to get some suggestions on TV, when it came to buying a home. Hopefully there'll be some equally knowldgeable people out there on the subject of schools. :o

Thanks

Fletch, Mrs Fletch and princess Fletch :D

Edited by fletchsmile

I guess there are not many expats sending their kids to school in Sathorn, Rama III, Narathiwas etc in Bangkok. :o There's a fair bit of info on this topic on TV, but very little about these areas. The most useful link I found on TV was this general link on international schools:

http://www.isat.or.th/search.asp

So thanks to whoever originally posted it. Most of the international schools seem to be in Sukhumvit area.

The ones I have come across in our area, in case anyone else looks in future are:

- Garden International School in Soi Yen Akart

- St.Andrews International School Sathorn

http://www.sjc.ac.th/index.asp ==> Saint Joseph Convent School on Silom Rd. next to BNH Hospital. http://203.154.175.241/elp/ ===> English Program or Bi-lingual

I also got a leaflet about "Tumble Tots", seems like an activity playgroup on Narathiwas Soi 24, near Bangkok Gardens, Belle Park.

If anyone has any comments/ experience on here, we'd be grateful to hear from you?. For St.Andrew's they have 4 others in Thailand. Does anyone have any comments on these?

Cheers

Fletch

Edit: deleted the reply to myself! Talking to yourself is one thing. Replying/quoting yourself is another :D .

Edited by fletchsmile

Of course it depends where you live and work but I can recommend New Sathorn International School ( NSIS ) in Narathiwas Soi 24 ( Sathu Pradit soi 19). For those that aren't aware they moved in when Harrow School moved from these premises to Don Mueng. Nursery starts at 2 years old although they will take slightly under. Their telephone number is 026722100 and they have a website. My little boy first went their into nursery class when he was 22 months and has been happy ever since. Not sure of costs for nursery now but was 80,000 + food per semester ( 2 per year ) whereas Kindergarten is now 120,000 + food per semester.

Futher towards the river of course you have Shrewsbury School.

Hope this is of some help and by the way all lessons are taught in English.

Edited by esprit

Of course it depends where you live and work but I can recommend New Sathorn International School ( NSIS ) in Narathiwas Soi 24 ( Sathu Pradit soi 19). For those that aren't aware they moved in when Harrow School moved from these premises to Don Mueng. Nursery starts at 2 years old although they will take slightly under. Their telephone number is 026722100 and they have a website. My little boy first went their into nursery class when he was 22 months and has been happy ever since. Not sure of costs for nursery now but was 80,000 + food per semester ( 2 per year ) whereas Kindergarten is now 120,000 + food per semester.

Yes, definitely of help. Thanks. Soi Narathiwas is one of the areas we're interested in. So will add it to the list to check out. Have found the website: http://www.newsathorn.com/main.php

Interesting they took your little one at 22 months. Could he speak then? I ask as our daughter is 18 months and often makes a lot of sounds but can't really "talk" so that we can understand. I'm not sure whether that is important or not for entry.

Edited by fletchsmile

Yes, definitely of help. Thanks. Soi Narathiwas is one of the areas we're interested in. So will add it to the list to check out. Have found the website: http://www.newsathorn.com/main.php

Interesting they took your little one at 22 months. Could he speak then? I ask as our daughter is 18 months and often makes a lot of sounds but can't really "talk" so that we can understand. I'm not sure whether that is important or not for entry.

Could talk a little, but very little at that stage but he came on leaps and bounds after he started. It helped of course being with other children and having some good nursery teachers. He is of course bi-linqual now with both Thai and English vocabulary expanding daily as from K1 level they start giving Thai lessons - guess he has a head start there though as his Mum is Thai ! By the way it is very International as his class has children from Thailand, mixed Thai/English, France, Sweden, Denmark, Korea, Japan etc

We live in Sathorn area too. Try St Andrews on Sathorn Rd, behind BNH Nursing Home, in a soi almost directly opposite the Australian Embassy. We looked there, nice small school, lovely pool and small classes. www.st-andrews.ac.th/sathorn/index.html

Although St Andrews was very close, for us we found the bus route was quite complex and daughter would have spent a lot of time in traffic. Ultimately we chose the British School of Bangkok in Suk Soi 4 as the classes were smaller and the commute a lot shorter. There is one 2-year old girl and one 3-year old on our bus route as well as a couple of older kidswww.topsyturvy.ac.th/thecurriculum.html Daughter is very happy there, she is in a small class and has become a very confident little girl.

Edited by Goinghomesoon