Rough Price For Window Tiniting

JonnyF

Hi,

Does anyone have a rough guide regarding the cost of getting the windows tinted on an average sized 5 door saloon car. I've had one quote so far and they wanted 10,000 baht ("special offer" reduced from 15,000 - so they said!). It seemed a bit steep to me.

Of course I have no real idea of the costs of the materials or how long this takes to do so if I am underestimating the costs involved then fair enough.

I'd just like an idea of what people paid so that I have a rough idea to use when trying to get a good deal. I don't want to get ripped off but I don't want to insult the guys either... If it makes any difference I am after a fairly dark tint, my car is like an oven after being left in the sun for an hour or so...

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Does anyone have a rough guide regarding the cost of getting the windows tinted on an average sized 5 door saloon car. I've had one quote so far and they wanted 10,000 baht ("special offer" reduced from 15,000 - so they said!). It seemed a bit steep to me.

Of course I have no real idea of the costs of the materials or how long this takes to do so if I am underestimating the costs involved then fair enough.

I'd just like an idea of what people paid so that I have a rough idea to use when trying to get a good deal. I don't want to get ripped off but I don't want to insult the guys either... If it makes any difference I am after a fairly dark tint, my car is like an oven after being left in the sun for an hour or so...

Thanks in advance.

hello..i had my new fortuna tinted real dark for free but i did ask how much it would be if had to pay and i think they said 6000 bt so i think you should be able to get it done for around that or cheaper as your car is smaller.....if you can then get a thai to take it to the shop then you will get the proper price :o

Since we are on Window tinting , hope someone can help on this , just ordered a new car and comes with free tinting , so am getting front and sides done at 80% , the salesgirl asked about the front if i wanted 60% since i have never done front and would like to see at night i asked for 40% , would anyone outthere know if it is still safe to see at 40% :o

I got 60% sides and 40% front. The 40% front is perfect. I dont need to use sungalsses during the day, and at night-time, or more importantly in car parks there is still plenty of light coming through.

Yea 40% is the way to go, get 'Lamina' which is good quality, to tint a Ford Ranger cost me around 5k Baht, ... But buyers beware, be present when they are in action fitting the film, I was away in china when my wife got ours done, gaps and ill-fitting film, went back to annoy them several months later about their shoddy workmanship, the company had upt and left :o

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

I think I payed 5000 baht for my Triton (4 doors +front and back windows) at the Mitsubishi dealer when I bought the car.

5k for my Triton also for Lamina tint (4 doors + front and back like the above poster)

Tried V-Kool at 17K for my 7-series. Clear tint (oxymoron, yes) but great protection. I have to say I do prefer the 80% on my Triton, but I just didn't want to go too mafia with my bimmer.

I've also tried Hi-Kool at 3.5k for one of my SAABs. The UV protection is ok, but I don't like the general "look" of the tint (in comparison to Lamina).

Hope that helps.

Since we are on Window tinting , hope someone can help on this , just ordered a new car and comes with free tinting , so am getting front and sides done at 80% , the salesgirl asked about the front if i wanted 60% since i have never done front and would like to see at night i asked for 40% , would anyone outthere know if it is still safe to see at 40% :o

As other posters have already mentioned, 40% should be fine. I had it in my motor, and it cuts the heat and sun during the day, but I can see OK at night.

Thanks chaps :o

Went to a small local place today and got my girlfriend to go in and get a quote (I stayed out of sight) and they quoted just under 5000 for 60% on the side/back and 40% on the front including fitting and removing the current inadequate tint. I'll go with that I think, big improvement on the initial quote of 10,000 - thanks for the replies...

nice one...........told ya haha.

they had originally given you a special price......the special for farang price ..........from treble the thai price to only double hahahah.welcome(your wallet) to thailand.

whenever possible i try to get the mrs to get stuff done as when a farang is seen then thats the end of getting a good price wherever you are .........not easy to do all the time as i have to go look to choose stuff etc

another tip is to call there bluff and tell them you just had a quote for half there price from other place and if they can do it about same then you will go with them.....some will say ok and some wont budge and would rather lose a sale at good profit still than lose face.....no wonder so many business's do so badly.gonna start a new topic on this i thinkas got a story.

nice one...........told ya haha.

they had originally given you a special price......the special for farang price ..........from treble the thai price to only double hahahah.welcome(your wallet) to thailand.

whenever possible i try to get the mrs to get stuff done as when a farang is seen then thats the end of getting a good price wherever you are .........not easy to do all the time as i have to go look to choose stuff etc

another tip is to call there bluff and tell them you just had a quote for half there price from other place and if they can do it about same then you will go with them.....some will say ok and some wont budge and would rather lose a sale at good profit still than lose face.....no wonder so many business's do so badly.gonna start a new topic on this i thinkas got a story.

Yeah I normally get my girlfriend to go and get quotes and I've had some quite pi$$ed of expressions from the salesman when she gets a good price and then I suddenly appear on the scene out of nowhere to pay the bill :o

I've found that calling their bluff rarely works and in any case once I know that they're trying to rip me off then I lose all interest in giving them my business and just smile and walk away.

Cost is all to do with the film..

I have had quotes down under 4k for cheap films but when you look at the heat index and UV transmission those were awful.. I found that ok ish tints with a good heat blocking effect were 5 - 6k and up.. V Kool was a shocking 18k..

I am told v kool is good stuff but the heat index and UV blocking were only a % or two better than the 5 - 6k films..

I think the usual metric (40% / 60% / Etc) is based on light transferance but they should have other info also if you ask.. UV being one and heat being my main concern.

beware cheap tints, as already mentioned, much of the cost is in the film... as I come from "The Sunburnt Country" (Australia) I can tell you with some authority that cheap film goes purple, blisters off the glass and look s#!& in a few years

• 2 months later...
beware cheap tints, as already mentioned, much of the cost is in the film... as I come from "The Sunburnt Country" (Australia) I can tell you with some authority that cheap film goes purple, blisters off the glass and look s#!& in a few years

The quality of film is paramount especially in a climate like Thailand. However, the good stuff is not that much more expensive considering the shops buy bulk 30 Meter rolls. When they upsell you to a better film the profit margin grows much more than the cost factor....

L

Had it done in Malaysia, waited till my next visa trip 'cause I didn't trust the thais to do a good job and would have been over-charged in samui, with a cost of about 3600 baht. No problems

I was told if I wanted to take my car to Malaysia I would have to REMOVE the tint from my windows as it's illegal there????

There seems to be a few shops offering window tinting services. The place I went to offered legal and illegal, or so they had it marked. I had a legal, and barely noticeable, tint on the front screen and illegal, but not extreme, all the way round. I have been back to Malaysia in it, just wound the front windows down when I went thru the border, and had no problems