Got Bumped Today

snowflake

Have you had an accident in Thailand?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

:bah: So it happened today, I went over to my friends house to pick up a "Toy" before lunch :D . Driving from his house to the largest intersection in NST the traffic came to an halt, I slowed down as usual till a complete stop.

After standing there for a almost 10 seconds someone bumped into me from behind :o , I was driving my Vigo :D (3rd class insurance) and he was driving an old toyota corolla (10 years +) :D

I stood in the road as I see the Thais do all the time and got out of my car with a smile. The poor Thai guy almost shat :D himself when he saw a farang. My Thai mate came out too, to help with the scared Thai guy. :o

No insurance, No money, no nothing was his side he only had (1000B) which I did not want. The cost of a new rear bumper is about 3000 (copy) to 6000 (original) baht. So how bad should I be to this poor guy?

The 1000B that he had would not cover the damage, and since he has no insurance what should he do?

I got his license and 3 witnesses signed a letter stating that he now owns me some money and that he should pay within 5 days... (rear bumper or cash).

I was just watching this as my Thai mate fixed it all for me (great help) and we were both laughing going away from the scene... Sure I can pay for a new rear bumper (but I dont want to), so we will see. What will happen in a week or so??? I am excited... :bah:

Have a go at me for letting him go... go on, i dare you all

;) So it happened today, I went over to my friends house to pick up a "Toy" before lunch :D . Driving from his house to the largest intersection in NST the traffic came to an halt, I slowed down as usual till a complete stop.

After standing there for a almost 10 seconds someone bumped into me from behind :D , I was driving my Vigo :D (3rd class insurance) and he was driving an old toyota corolla (10 years +) :D

I stood in the road as I see the Thais do all the time and got out of my car with a smile. The poor Thai guy almost shat :bah: himself when he saw a farang. My Thai mate came out too, to help with the scared Thai guy. :o

No insurance, No money, no nothing was his side he only had (1000B) which I did not want. The cost of a new rear bumper is about 3000 (copy) to 6000 (original) baht. So how bad should I be to this poor guy?

The 1000B that he had would not cover the damage, and since he has no insurance what should he do?

I got his license and 3 witnesses signed a letter stating that he now owns me some money and that he should pay within 5 days... (rear bumper or cash).

I was just watching this as my Thai mate fixed it all for me (great help) and we were both laughing going away from the scene... Sure I can pay for a new rear bumper (but I dont want to), so we will see. What will happen in a week or so??? I am excited... :o

Make him pay the full amount and next time he might learn how to use the brake :D:bah:

Sure I can pay for a new rear bumper (but I dont want to), so we will see. What will happen in a week or so??? I am excited... :o

Go on - be one of those 'better farang' you were talking about a while back. Take something to prove the point maybe, but let him go away thankful that you've been jai yen yen about the whole thing.

Don't pay for a new bumper unless it's really fubared if you don't want to. It's only a car...

just forget about it and have the nice feeling you did something positive for a poor chap or perhaps... let him mow your lawn twice.

Naam!! mow the lawn twice!! are you fuc*ing nuts?? that means 3000 baht a time to mow the lawn!! That's ok if you own Chok Chai farm, but i doubt Snowflake does!! You must be a rich so and so ?? you want to pay for it?? didn't think so......... :o:D

Well as I said previously, I will let him have his few days to see if he can find some money, then I will find an agreement with him. He have to pay something. The full amount if he's got it, if not, well I will take his wife and child (joking) we will find an agreement.

He was a nice bloke so lets see if he thinks he can fart the farnang about...

I am not that fussed about it...

NOT FIX IT? You must be nuts! Has the squirrel landed on your head and thought that it was your nuts, just to chew away on that little brain? It's a 2 year old car that would be up for sale next month, (Not fix it? STUPID) I do agree if it was an old piece of shit, never mind, but I do care, I want the car I sell to be in its best possible condition when I sell it. First a full polish and then the full car spa, then out to Toyota for a complete service, I dont care, the car have to be in a good condition...

The bottom line is really that the chap did not have any money and no insurance, what could I do? Kill him? for a little dent?

just forget about it and have the nice feeling you did something positive for a poor chap or perhaps... let him mow your lawn twice.

Naam!! mow the lawn twice!! are you fuc*ing nuts?? that means 3000 baht a time to mow the lawn!! That's ok if you own Chok Chai farm, but i doubt Snowflake does!! You must be a rich so and so ?? you want to pay for it?? didn't think so......... :o:D

£3000 baht to mow the lawn. Whos nuts 300 baht a day and they are getting rich. I paid less than that a day to the builders of my house

Naam!! mow the lawn twice!! are you fuc*ing nuts?? that means 3000 baht a time to mow the lawn!! That's ok if you own Chok Chai farm, but i doubt Snowflake does!! You must be a rich so and so ?? you want to pay for it?? didn't think so......... :D:D

i'm not sure Tatler but a number of people who know me would answer your question with a loud and clear "yes!" :o

:o So it happened today, I went over to my friends house to pick up a "Toy" before lunch :D . Driving from his house to the largest intersection in NST the traffic came to an halt, I slowed down as usual till a complete stop.

After standing there for a almost 10 seconds someone bumped into me from behind ;) , I was driving my Vigo :D (3rd class insurance) and he was driving an old toyota corolla (10 years +) :D

I stood in the road as I see the Thais do all the time and got out of my car with a smile. The poor Thai guy almost shat :bah: himself when he saw a farang. My Thai mate came out too, to help with the scared Thai guy. :o

I was just watching this as my Thai mate fixed it all for me (great help) and we were both laughing going away from the scene... Sure I can pay for a new rear bumper (but I dont want to), so we will see. What will happen in a week or so??? I am excited... :bah:

Don't stop then! Simple.

:D

NOT FIX IT? You must be nuts! Has the squirrel landed on your head and thought that it was your nuts, just to chew away on that little brain? It's a 2 year old car that would be up for sale next month, (Not fix it? STUPID)

Well fair play to you for they way you're looking at the accident, but the above is a bit over the top.

Naam!! mow the lawn twice!! are you fuc*ing nuts?? that means 3000 baht a time to mow the lawn!! That's ok if you own Chok Chai farm, but i doubt Snowflake does!! You must be a rich so and so ?? you want to pay for it?? didn't think so......... :D:D

i'm not sure Tatler but a number of people who know me would answer your question with a loud and clear "yes!" :D

:o:D

• 2 weeks later...

So the Thai guy called today, asked if he could come and get the bumper to be fixed. He came and it turned out that we know someone that knows him (Large country but huge families here). He yanked the bumper gently off and then said two to three days. Told him I would call him on Monday as Thursday and Friday we are off from our school... Dont want to worry about it then... Lazy git I am :-)

This guy has shown me that it doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, you can still be nice..

So the Thai guy called today, asked if he could come and get the bumper to be fixed. He came and it turned out that we know someone that knows him (Large country but huge families here). He yanked the bumper gently off and then said two to three days. Told him I would call him on Monday as Thursday and Friday we are off from our school... Dont want to worry about it then... Lazy git I am :-)

This guy has shown me that it doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, you can still be nice..

Smart guy. Steal the evidence! :o

(pssst! itsajoke.)

If only, if only, people thought to invest a little money in Driver Improvement Training.

You would have realised you were stopped in a vulnerable position, seen what was about to happen, flashed the brake lights on & off (which can wake them up), & then on realising he wasn't going to stop in time, moved forwards into the space you had left between you and the next vehicle. All of which would highly likely have avoided the impact.

Yes, as drivers, sometimes we have to make allowances for others mistakes.

OP your attitude to this is commendable, i'm just trying to point out how the situation (which could so easily have been worse) could have been avoided.

I wonder how many of you guys yank the handbrake on up the ratchet? wrong!

Edited by Lancashirelad

you should count yourself lucky! my wife got bumped in our car she got out to inspect and speak to the driver but he just reversed and calmly drove around her and drove off!! She said she did not want to pursue as it might not have been safe, understandable! Thats her story! maybe she reversed into something and wanted to save face!!

you should count yourself lucky! my wife got bumped in our car she got out to inspect and speak to the driver but he just reversed and calmly drove around her and drove off!! She said she did not want to pursue as it might not have been safe, understandable! Thats her story! maybe she reversed into something and wanted to save face!!

I don't think there's any 'maybe' about it. You have to give her top marks for the cunning cover story though :o

In all your wisdom on how to drive a car, please tell me what you do when traffic slows down and you are standing still waiting for it to move again....

And would blinking the lights help if the guy is not even looking at the car infront of him???

How stupid are you???

What do you do when you are standing still at a lights intersection? jump out of the car and have a big sign stating that you are an idiot and that the person behind you should slow down???

I thoght that was why we had eyes, to see what is happening infront of us...

As i tried to explain, but maybe not clearly enough: when you are the last vehicle in queue & no other vehicle has yet stopped behind you, it CAN help to flash the brake lights if the one coming up from behind looks like they are going to be very late braking and/or you think they have missed seeing you altogether. Often, drivers are looking, but not seeing. Flashing the lights CAN alert them.

When stopping behind another vehicle you should always be able to see "tyres & tarmac" (their rear tyres) this gives you room to manoeuvre around them should they break down (It happens) without having to reverse off AND gives a bit of leeway to pull forward into given the above situation. However, if you are the last vehicle with traffic approaching at speed some distance behind, its wise to leave much more space.

Just as if you got to the top a bridge or hill & saw queuing traffic just over it, it would be prudent to wait at the top, brake lights visible to approaching traffic, rather than being out of sight just over the brow.

Non of us are perfect drivers, but there are thing that can be done to limit the negative possibilities.

Edited by Lancashirelad

As i tried to explain, but maybe not clearly enough: when you are the last vehicle in queue & no other vehicle has yet stopped behind you, it CAN help to flash the brake lights if the one coming up from behind looks like they are going to be very late braking and/or you think they have missed seeing you altogether. Often, drivers are looking, but not seeing. Flashing the lights CAN alert them.

When stopping behind another vehicle you should always be able to see "tyres & tarmac" (their rear tyres) this gives you room to manoeuvre around them should they break down (It happens) without having to reverse off AND gives a bit of leeway to pull forward into given the above situation. However, if you are the last vehicle with traffic approaching at speed some distance behind, its wise to leave much more space.

Just as if you got to the top a bridge or hill & saw queuing traffic just over it, it would be prudent to wait at the top, brake lights visible to approaching traffic, rather than being out of sight just over the brow.

Non of us are perfect drivers, but there are thing that can be done to limit the negative possibilities.

All good advice .. especially in Thailand.