Jump to content
BANGKOK
VOICEOVER

Australian Aged Pension

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I'd get a second opinion, perhaps call again and see if you get the same answer. I certainly wouldn't rely on that, it would go against everything I have ever read on the subject including the government website:

 

 

 

I will call again, as you and others have mentioned the comments from the CL lady are way out of alignment with other comments I've read and my own searching of the CL site.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Salerno said:

You can apply for Pension on the day you return, if you complete the application correctly (as in supply all info/docs) and are eligible it will be back dated to the application date. You then need to convince them you are back for good and after two years you can "have a change of heart" and should be good to go on the portability front.

 

You can take "short breaks" without too much damage to the two year waiting period for portability. After 6 weeks you will lose the extra payments (rent allowance etc.). If you go for too long that could put you in bad stead for portability i.e. they can decide you only returned to get the pension and leave again in which case you could lose the whole pension.

 

You need to convince them you are back for good so yes, you need to establish yourself as if you are in fact back for good. You can't come back, get granted the pension and then "return to Thailand and sit it out for 2 years". If you do so, you will lose the pension; if you leaver for an extended time they will know.

 

'...convince them convince them you are back for good...' Does that still include buying a house / condo whatever and / or renting a house or apartment with a long-term rental agreement showing your name, plus proof of electricity / utility bills etc., in your name?

 

Or would a 'permanent' room in a hotel, perhaps documented as a 'room rental agreement' in my name with all utilities included in the room rental agreement, rather than a hotel booking, be accepted?

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, scorecard said:

'...convince them convince them you are back for good...' Does that still include buying a house / condo whatever and / or renting a house or apartment with a long-term rental agreement showing your name, plus proof of electricity / utility bills etc., in your name?

 

Or would a 'permanent' room in a hotel, perhaps documented as a 'room rental agreement' in my name with all utilities included in the room rental agreement, rather than a hotel booking, be accepted?

 

  

When you return and step off the plane although you may be eligible to apply for the pension you
 obviously will not yet have all the trappings of a permanent resident (there is no hard and fast rule as to what these are) in place.

 

As part of the pension approval process you will be required to sign a declaration that you have forsaken your previous residence in Thailand and now intend becoming a genuine permanent resident of Oz.

 

Be aware false statements may be deemed fraud and can attract serious gaol time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, scorecard said:

'...convince them convince them you are back for good...' Does that still include buying a house / condo whatever and / or renting a house or apartment with a long-term rental agreement showing your name, plus proof of electricity / utility bills etc., in your name?

 

Or would a 'permanent' room in a hotel, perhaps documented as a 'room rental agreement' in my name with all utilities included in the room rental agreement, rather than a hotel booking, be accepted?

 

  

You have to be in Australia to apply. But, because you have lived in another country your pension only becomes portable once you have stayed for 2 years when you receive your pension. After the 2 years you can relocate. As an example, I have a friend who lived in the Philippines and returned to OZ when he was 63. He had to go on Newstart until he was 65 when he applied for the pension. As soon as it was granted, he was free to return to the PI as he had served the 2 year period to make his pension portable. You would be on the pension for the 2 years.

 

I assume in your case you will not have 35 years in Australia between the ages of 16 and 65/67, or in your case 50, so your pension will be reduced after 6 months out of the country using the formula years in OZ over 35. In his case he had 24 years, so after 6 months his pension reduces by about a third (24/35). If you return every 6 months for a week as he does, he loses nothing except the small supplements. 6 month clock starts each entry back to Australia.

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, scorecard said:

Does that still include buying a house / condo whatever and / or renting a house or apartment with a long-term rental agreement showing your name, plus proof of electricity / utility bills etc., in your name?

 

Or would a 'permanent' room in a hotel, perhaps documented as a 'room rental agreement' in my name with all utilities included in the room rental agreement, rather than a hotel booking, be accepted?

Rental is good enough, or even buy a combi and hit the road. A permanent room in a hotel would be unusual IMO (although as a kid I wanted to live in a hotel "when I grew up" 😀).

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Rental is good enough, or even buy a combi and hit the road. A permanent room in a hotel would be unusual IMO (although as a kid I wanted to live in a hotel "when I grew up" 😀).

Also need to remember that Centrelink and Immigration computers linked now, and Centrelink notified each time you leave the country

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks, the truth is that I have a number of Vietnam conflict relates disabilities and I receive the DVA disability pension at the highest rate. I've explored many angles to try to get the DVA service pension, I am entitled, over the age point (60) and under the income / assets threshold, but I fail the residency factor. I've lived for many years in a wheelchair or in bed and under the dedicated 24 hr care care of my Thai family and I couldn't live /survive totally alone. The DVA give zero flexibility for disabilities (including war related disabilities) nor where there is a need for 24 hr support.

 

Recently, again a DVA officer encouraged me to try for the OAP saying that there are more flexibilities in regard to residency. 

 

Ultimately I believe I could survive / tough it out for the 2 years by living in a hotel but perhaps under a room rental agreement and with a pre-arranged personal support as needed by a call to the hotel lobby but of course paid for as used.

 

But my concern with this approach is that centrelink will say that it doesn't look like a serious approach / attempt at full re-establishment. So I'm interested in any responses from others before I put this concept to the Centrelink International Age team in Hobart.

 

All constructive comments appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, rhodie said:

You have to be in Australia to apply. But, because you have lived in another country your pension only becomes portable once you have stayed for 2 years when you receive your pension. After the 2 years you can relocate. As an example, I have a friend who lived in the Philippines and returned to OZ when he was 63. He had to go on Newstart until he was 65 when he applied for the pension. As soon as it was granted, he was free to return to the PI as he had served the 2 year period to make his pension portable. You would be on the pension for the 2 years.

 

I assume in your case you will not have 35 years in Australia between the ages of 16 and 65/67, or in your case 50, so your pension will be reduced after 6 months out of the country using the formula years in OZ over 35. In his case he had 24 years, so after 6 months his pension reduces by about a third (24/35). If you return every 6 months for a week as he does, he loses nothing except the small supplements. 6 month clock starts each entry back to Australia.

 

Good luck.

 

16 + 35 = 51.

 

My understanding is for much old folks an older equation is still valid (I was born 1945, now 74).

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, the truth is that I have a number of Vietnam conflict relates disabilities and I receive the DVA disability pension at the highest rate. I've explored many angles to try to get the DVA service pension, I am entitled, over the age point (60) and under the income / assets threshold, but I fail the residency factor. I've lived for many years in a wheelchair or in bed and under the dedicated 24 hr care care of my Thai family and I couldn't live /survive totally alone. The DVA give zero flexibility for disabilities (including war related disabilities) nor where there is a need for 24 hr support.

 

Recently, again a DVA officer encouraged me to try for the OAP saying that there are more flexibilities in regard to residency. 

 

Ultimately I believe I could survive / tough it out for the 2 years by living in a hotel but perhaps under a room rental agreement and with a pre-arranged personal support as needed by a call to the hotel lobby but of course paid for as used.

 

But my concern with this approach is that centrelink will say that it doesn't look like a serious approach / attempt at full re-establishment. So I'm interested in any responses from others before I put this concept to the Centrelink International Age team in Hobart.

 

All constructive comments appreciated. 

I cannot think of any establishment which provides such care on the east coast.

You would need to have an ACAT Assessment done for residential aged care, ACAT Assessments take about 8 weeks after referral through  MY Aged Care, then a place has to be found, this all needs a fair amount of money if you are not receiving benefits.

 

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Also need to remember that Centrelink and Immigration computers linked now, and Centrelink notified each time you leave the country

Yes, mentioned that previously in a round about way. Reality is, we have no privacy nowadays.

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

But my concern with this approach is that centrelink will say that it doesn't look like a serious approach / attempt at full re-establishment.

Given your circumstances it may well be worth a shot. It doesn't sound so "unusual" to me now with the extra background info, still somewhat unusual but the support supplied with living in a hotel or a serviced apartment would be comforting I would imagine. No idea how Centre Link would view it but worth asking.

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, watcharacters said:

 

 

I'm surprised you say this.   It's a lot in any currency to me.

 

Not if that's all you have & no real estate,savings or income producing assets Toss in once over 70 health insurance is not available in Thailand and Medicare help is a distant memory

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Given your circumstances it may well be worth a shot. It doesn't sound so "unusual" to me now with the extra background info, still somewhat unusual but the support supplied with living in a hotel or a serviced apartment would be comforting I would imagine. No idea how Centre Link would view it but worth asking.

Thanks, of course the only way to know ultimately is to try it, and I have contacted 3 hotels in the outer suburbs but pleasant areas of Sydney and Melbourne, all were positive about the concept but of course I need to do more checking about what city would be least cost. But I'm guessing I could perhaps qualify for rent assistance.

 

Then there's the question of how many months in Oz then how many months in Thailand until the 2 years is up. I'm thinking 2 months OZ then 1 month Thai. Appreciate any comments this point thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, of course the only way to know ultimately is to try it, and I have contacted 3 hotels in the outer suburbs but pleasant areas of Sydney and Melbourne, all were positive about the concept but of course I need to do more checking about what city would be least cost. But I'm guessing I could perhaps qualify for rent assistance.

 

Then there's the question of how many months in Oz then how many months in Thailand until the 2 years is up. I'm thinking 2 months OZ then 1 month Thai. Appreciate any comments this point thanks.

I could be wrong, but I believe any time spent out of Australia during that 2 years has to be made up, ie if you spend 6 months away, then you will be doing 2 years and six months.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...