Jump to content
BANGKOK
VOICEOVER

Australian Aged Pension

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, of course the only way to know ultimately is to try it, and I have contacted 3 hotels in the outer suburbs but pleasant areas of Sydney and Melbourne, all were positive about the concept but of course I need to do more checking about what city would be least cost. But I'm guessing I could perhaps qualify for rent assistance.

I was looking just recently at real estate prices - for when I need to serve my two years.  

 

Prices are way down in the mining-dependant cities, still struggling after the boom.  If prices are down rents / board etc. would be down too you'd think.  Townsville for example is a big city, big military base and a university, good climate, good fishing, and prices are low.  

 

And what about 'Assisted living' rather than a hotel?  Retirement homes sort of thing, are there those that you can come and go a month or two at a time? 

 

Pity you cannot bring a carer with you from your Thai family, you could just rent somewhere cheap then.   

Edited by moojar
speeling

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, moojar said:

I was looking just recently at real estate prices - for when I need to serve my two years.  

 

Prices are way down in the mining-dependant cities, still struggling after the boom.  If prices are down rents / board etc. would be down too you'd think.  Townsville for example is a big city, big military base and a university, good climate, good fishing, and prices are low.  

 

And what about 'Assisted living' rather than a hotel?  Retirement homes sort of thing, are there those that you can come and go a month or two at a time? 

 

Pity you cannot bring a carer with you from your Thai family, you could just rent somewhere cheap then.   

I doubt if you will find a retirement home that allows you to pay just for the time you stay there, a boarding house or similar would be preferable. Also, I doubt if you can spend one month out of three in Thailand and still satisfy the criteria. People have been trying to find loopholes for years, there isn't any.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, moojar said:

I was looking just recently at real estate prices - for when I need to serve my two years.  

 

Prices are way down in the mining-dependant cities, still struggling after the boom.  If prices are down rents / board etc. would be down too you'd think.  Townsville for example is a big city, big military base and a university, good climate, good fishing, and prices are low.  

 

And what about 'Assisted living' rather than a hotel?  Retirement homes sort of thing, are there those that you can come and go a month or two at a time? 

 

Pity you cannot bring a carer with you from your Thai family, you could just rent somewhere cheap then.   

 

Thanks.

 

Re family member carer, already got some advice on getting a visa to enter Australia, pretty much impossible.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, scorecard said:

 

16 + 35 = 51.

 

My understanding is for much old folks an older equation is still valid (I was born 1945, now 74).

 

Can the more experienced members please advise on this point, would I be entitled to 100% pension, my details are:

 

- Born in OZ 1945, lived full time in OZ until moved to Thailand to take up a very good job offer at 50 years old. 

 

Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Can the more experienced members please advise on this point, would I be entitled to 100% pension, 

 

No!  You are not entitled to any Australian Aged Pension unless you return to Australia as a genuine returning permanent resident!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

No!  You are not entitled to any Australian Aged Pension unless you return to Australia as a genuine returning permanent resident!

And spend 2 years there before aged pension is portable.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Can the more experienced members please advise on this point, would I be entitled to 100% pension, my details are:

 

- Born in OZ 1945, lived full time in OZ until moved to Thailand to take up a very good job offer at 50 years old. 

 

Thanks.

 

As I said before, if you spend the 2 years in OZ, your pension will be portable. But if you then leave and don't return for 6 months, your pension will reduce. If you only have 15 years in OZ, you will only get 15/35, so a bit over a third. There is no grandfathering of the rule. It used to be 25 years, but a few years ago they increased it to 35 years. I am not sure if you get credit as a Kiwi and they add the years you spent in NZ. You may. You will need to ask. 

I don't think you can look at too many trips back to Thailand. Maybe 1 or 2 a year, and as mentioned, it may add to the 2 years. Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules. I have only found cases at the appeals tribunal where the person was really not returning and still wanted portability. They lost. I have heard that if you spend more than 183 days in OZ, that is enough, but there are no test cases for that. There are a few guys who post on here that are doing the 2 years. 1 is @Elvis??. You will need to scan the thread. I have a mate who is back there now. He has just completed a little over 1 year. He is not leaving until he has completed the 2 years.

My mate that returned rented a room in a share house. This is a cheaper option and he got rent assistance for that. I don't think you need to worry too much about CL questions. Any question you get, you are returning to live. After 2 years, you change your mind and leave. Right now, it is that simple. Obviously that could change at any time, so if you are going to do it, sooner the better.

Edited by rhodie
Calc
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, scorecard said:

Can the more experienced members please advise on this point, would I be entitled to 100% pension, my details are:

 

- Born in OZ 1945, lived full time in OZ until moved to Thailand to take up a very good job offer at 50 years old. 

 

Thanks.

 

Just a correction. Not sure why I thought you were from NZ. So you were in OZ from the age of 16 to 50. So 34/35 at worst. Almost the full pension so no need to return every 6 months after the 2 years for portability.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rhodie said:

Just a correction. Not sure why I thought you were from NZ. So you were in OZ from the age of 16 to 50. So 34/35 at worst. Almost the full pension so no need to return every 6 months after the 2 years for portability.

Thanks for your message, yes, about 97%, not too bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, LosLobo said:

No!  You are not entitled to any Australian Aged Pension unless you return to Australia as a genuine returning permanent resident!

Understood.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, rhodie said:

Just a correction. Not sure why I thought you were from NZ. So you were in OZ from the age of 16 to 50. So 34/35 at worst. Almost the full pension so no need to return every 6 months after the 2 years for portability.

Worth mentioning that the aged pension is means tested, so if you have any other form of income like private super, bank interest,  allocated pensions etc, your pension can be reduced accordingly. I'm entitled to a full pension but only get around half because of other income.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/12/2019 at 9:14 PM, scorecard said:

Can the more experienced members please advise on this point, would I be entitled to 100% pension, my details are:

 

- Born in OZ 1945, lived full time in OZ until moved to Thailand to take up a very good job offer at 50 years old. 

 

Thanks.

 

  1. They (centrelink) will calculate your entitlement and the MONTHS spent in OZ. Even though I KNOW this question is asked on the application. (Or was for me)
  2. I got a letter saying I  had exceeded 420 months and was eligible for an unrestricted pension. (Not the exact words, as I know the words change frequently).
  3. Under some circumstances you CAN get two pensions - This site explains it better than me Click Here - Reason being you ARE allowed to earn money on the pension and the second pension is regarded as income. This area will need YOU to do MUCH more research
  4. Working in Thailand - if you're considered a non-resident for tax purposes, you "probably" have done your dash, however, GET advice on this. You actually "could" qualify - there are ways.
  5. Research, research, research - there is a forum on the link I inserted in this post - it is a useful resource for some expats.

Finally - good luck cobber

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MalandLee said:
  1. They (centrelink) will calculate your entitlement and the MONTHS spent in OZ. Even though I KNOW this question is asked on the application. (Or was for me)
  2. I got a letter saying I  had exceeded 420 months and was eligible for an unrestricted pension. (Not the exact words, as I know the words change frequently).
  3. Under some circumstances you CAN get two pensions - This site explains it better than me Click Here - Reason being you ARE allowed to earn money on the pension and the second pension is regarded as income. This area will need YOU to do MUCH more research
  4. Working in Thailand - if you're considered a non-resident for tax purposes, you "probably" have done your dash, however, GET advice on this. You actually "could" qualify - there are ways.
  5. Research, research, research - there is a forum on the link I inserted in this post - it is a useful resource for some expats.

Finally - good luck cobber

 

 

Thanks, I'm learning all the time, but I can't find the link, can you please re-send, appreciated.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Thanks, I'm learning all the time, but I can't find the link, can you please re-send, appreciated.

 

 

Paragraph 3 "Click Here"

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...