BANGKOK
VOICEOVER

Australian Aged Pension

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks to all for all the valuable information. A couple more questions please:

1. When portability is achieved (after the 2 year re-establish residency item), does the pensioner receive only the 'common rate' or is 'Pension supplement' also received?

2. The application form - assets and income test -  for cash in banks what proof is needed? on this point is there any different requirement in regard to cash in bank in Thailand or in Australia?

And what about when the cash in the bank (in Thailand) is in a joint name (example myself and my adult Thai son)? 

3.  Proof of identity - Is a copy of my current Australian passport sufficient.  And I also a recent endorsement on a copy of my passport, endorsed by an Australian guy living in Thailand  plus a copy of his passport, would this help? The Australian guy is older but still works (with a Thai Work Permit and his occupation in included in the professions that can make such endorsements.

I do have a copy of my certificate of birth (74 years ago, yes they did record births back in ancient history), but the birth certificate is not signed by an issuing authority or similar.

4. Proof of the date that I moved to Thailand. Can this be an approximate date or do I need to find old passports to show a departure (from Australia) stamp? 

Thanks.

Once leaving Australia the supplement is no longer paid. Assets, ie money in the bank is what you tell Centrelink it is, they don't ask to see proof. Same with any accounts outside Australia. A passport would be sufficient ID, not sure what you mean by endorsements. A copy of your birth certificate is easily available in Oz. I doubt you'll need to prove what date you left Australia.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Once leaving Australia the supplement is no longer paid. Assets, ie money in the bank is what you tell Centrelink it is, they don't ask to see proof. Same with any accounts outside Australia. A passport would be sufficient ID, not sure what you mean by endorsements. A copy of your birth certificate is easily available in Oz. I doubt you'll need to prove what date you left Australia.

Thanks nice information.

by Endorsements I mean that someone has written on the document: 

'I certify that this is a true and correct copy of the original document'

Signature and date

Full name in block letters / in typing and (where appropriate) an ID number, e.g. passport number.

42 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thanks nice information.

by Endorsements I mean that someone has written on the document: 

'I certify that this is a true and correct copy of the original document'

Signature and date

Full name in block letters / in typing and (where appropriate) an ID number, e.g. passport number.

Just show the original passport.

as i have been not a resident/and get oz pension for past 10yrs now 

i returned once/ and couldn't get medicare or concessional   card for transport

born and worked all life oz

can i get senior card  and what is wait if i want medicare or treatment/cheers 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Thanks to all for all the valuable information. A couple more questions please:

1. When portability is achieved (after the 2 year re-establish residency item), does the pensioner receive only the 'common rate' or is 'Pension supplement' also received?

2. The application form - assets and income test -  for cash in banks what proof is needed? on this point is there any different requirement in regard to cash in bank in Thailand or in Australia?

And what about when the cash in the bank (in Thailand) is in a joint name (example myself and my adult Thai son)? 

3.  Proof of identity - Is a copy of my current Australian passport sufficient.  And I also a recent endorsement on a copy of my passport, endorsed by an Australian guy living in Thailand  plus a copy of his passport, would this help? The Australian guy is older but still works (with a Thai Work Permit and his occupation in included in the professions that can make such endorsements.

I do have a copy of my certificate of birth (74 years ago, yes they did record births back in ancient history), but the birth certificate is not signed by an issuing authority or similar.

4. Proof of the date that I moved to Thailand. Can this be an approximate date or do I need to find old passports to show a departure (from Australia) stamp? 

Thanks.

All banking accounts will become part of assets, irrespective of where they are held if you declare them

Bank statements going back 3/12 generally

Need to establish 100 points of ID, driver licence, birth certificate, medicare card, passport, atm cards.

The application form online tells you the requirements for ID

Pension supplements are not paid outside of Australia after 6/52 

Once leaving Australia the supplement is no longer paid. Assets, ie money in the bank is what you tell Centrelink it is, they don't ask to see proof.

giddyup, Q please....what about when you ORIGINALLY apply for the pension.... does Centrelink ask to see proof of how much money is in your bank?

4 minutes ago, Nemises said:

giddyup, Q please....what about when you ORIGINALLY apply for the pension.... does Centrelink ask to see proof of how much money is in your bank?

It's over 10 years ago, I really can't remember, but I at least must have been honest about how much I had because I lose pension because of bank interest on savings, as well as from a super pension. Centrelink pretty much takes you at your word as far as bank savings, but they do know exactly how much I get from super and an allocated pension.

6 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Yes, bank statements going back at least 3 months generally. Remembering that all banks, ATO and Centrelink  share information . They also require updates of income and assets.

26 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Yes, bank statements going back at least 3 months generally. Remembering that all banks, ATO and Centrelink  share information . They also require updates of income and assets.

I don't believe Centrelink has access to your bank information, and I've never been asked for an update since granted the aged pension 12 years ago. Just checked, C'link can't spot check bank accounts but it can cross reference with the ATO and then ask for more info if things don't match.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I don't believe Centrelink has access to your bank information, and I've never been asked for an update since granted the aged pension 12 years ago. Just checked, C'link can't spot check bank accounts but it can cross reference with the ATO and then ask for more info if things don't match.

ATO and Centrelink computers share information , banks share information to ATO on bank interest paid, Centrelink cross match interest information from ATO with records of recipients of benefits.

Do not be surprised if they request an updated income and asset form at some time.

3 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

ATO and Centrelink computers share information , banks share information to ATO on bank interest paid, Centrelink cross match interest information from ATO with records of recipients of benefits.

Do not be surprised if they request an updated income and asset form at some time.

Been waiting 12 years to be asked for an update, haven't completed a tax return in that time either. Maybe they think I'm too old to bother with?

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Been waiting 12 years to be asked for an update, haven't completed a tax return in that time either. Maybe they think I'm too old to bother with?

are you considered an overseas resident for tax purposes?? 

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

are you considered an overseas resident for tax purposes?? 

No idea.