BANGKOK
VOICEOVER

Australian Aged Pension

Thanks Cheynewalk, good to hear of people's actual recent experiences. 

Those Hobart folk seem quite decent the times I have spoken to them, not as ... confrontational as your average CL officer.  

Could your friend have gone on the dole (Newstart) under option 1 before reaching pension age?  Or not possible with the overseas travel? 

2 minutes ago, moojar said:

Thanks Cheynewalk, good to hear of people's actual recent experiences. 

Those Hobart folk seem quite decent the times I have spoken to them, not as ... confrontational as your average CL officer.  

Could your friend have gone on the dole (Newstart) under option 1 before reaching pension age?  Or not possible with the overseas travel? 

That shows how ridiculous the situation is, they are forcing people to come back for 2 years, with not much chance of finding a job, so no alternative but to go on dole for the 2 years. 

If they make me return in a couple of years to do my time in the naughty corner, it will be a taxi from the airport to centerlink and straight on the dole. I have never been on the dole in my life but chances of finding a job at 65 will be slim to none.

No, my friend was a cook.  He worked casually for a few months, then travelked a bit.  He actually did about 15 months in oz.  But yes, you could get the dole, but if you travel os it gets cutoff and you have to apply again.

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

That shows how ridiculous the situation is, they are forcing people to come back for 2 years, with not much chance of finding a job, so no alternative but to go on dole for the 2 years. 

If they make me return in a couple of years to do my time in the naughty corner, it will be a taxi from the airport to centerlink and straight on the dole. I have never been on the dole in my life but chances of finding a job at 65 will be slim to none.

I'm not sure how Newstart works TBH.

A mate of mine in his sixties was made redundant last year.

Hey got a pay out which equated to 3 months pay.

They wouldn't grant him payments because of his payout

so he basically had to use his money before it started.

Was hard as he doesn't have much in the bank and the payout

was a buffer he wanted to keep.

He had never been on the dole his whole life and then had to start

looking for a job at 63.

He's just waiting for 2 more years until he can retire to Thailand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I saw this coming and spent quite a bit of time in Australia in the two or three years leading up to my Age Pension application.

I did a bit of house sitting, spent time with my old and very ill parents, helped out on a friends building site etc and the time just went.

I still managed about 5 or 6 months a year in Thailand.

I cannot see this requirement changing soon, I rattled a few cages and was advised by a politician I trusted to leave it alone, there were people in the corridors of power that did not want any pensioners living overseas.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

I saw this coming and spent quite a bit of time in Australia in the two or three years leading up to my Age Pension application.

I did a bit of house sitting, spent time with my old and very ill parents, helped out on a friends building site etc and the time just went.

I still managed about 5 or 6 months a year in Thailand.

I cannot see this requirement changing soon, I rattled a few cages and was advised by a politician I trusted to leave it alone, there were people in the corridors of power that did not want any pensioners living overseas.

I agree, its not likely to change.

What they fail to see is the net gain from having pensioner live overseas, less hospital beds, less seats on public transport, less subsidised car registration, council rates, electricity etc. Not to mention aged care costs.

A quick calculation on the back of a beer coaster would show the Net gain.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

people in the corridors of power that did not want any pensioners living overseas.

I guess that's the same meaning as political scum.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Will27 said:

I'm not sure how Newstart works TBH.

A mate of mine in his sixties was made redundant last year.

Hey got a pay out which equated to 3 months pay.

They wouldn't grant him payments because of his payout

so he basically had to use his money before it started.

Was hard as he doesn't have much in the bank and the payout

was a buffer he wanted to keep.

looking for a job at 63.

Friend has been given incorrect information, you can have assets, savings etc and still get newstart ($400,000 for a non house owner).. Moving the payout money to super would also make it not subject to asset test.

Cash on hand can affect the waiting period until first payment (up to a couple of months) but not the eligibility.

Centerlink is very good at advising, you probably wont get newstart, not worth applying, when you are eligible etc

Edited by Peterw42

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Friend has been given incorrect information, you can have assets, savings etc and still get newstart ($400,000 for a non house owner).. Moving the payout money to super would also make it not subject to asset test.

Cash on hand can affect the waiting period until first payment (up to a couple of months) but not the eligibility.

Centerlink is very good at advising, you probably wont get newstart, not worth applying, when you are eligible etc

All he told me, was that when he filled out the application form and advised he had a 3 month payout, they told him payments wouldn't start pretty much for 8 weeks.

4 minutes ago, Will27 said:

All he told me, was that when he filled out the application form and advised he had a 3 month payout, they told him payments wouldn't start pretty much for 8 weeks.

Yes, thats the cash on hand thing, easy to get around that if the money is invested, stock market or similar (not liquid).

Cash on hand doesnt mean you need to spend it before you can get the dole, its just means the wait for first payment will be longer. People confuse it as they have to spend the money.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

looking for a job at 63.

Just a heads up to anyone thinking OAP kicks in at 65. Please refer to chart:-

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/who-can-get-it

Edited by UncleMhee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UncleMhee said:

Just a heads up to anyone thinking OAP kicks in at 65. Please refer to chart:-

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/age-pension/who-can-get-it

Thanks for that info.  What confuses me is the status of folks born in Australia (1945), lived all my life in Australia until say age 50 / early fifties, then worked abroad.

Capture from the link above:

image.png.a327cc35d356a2339bd142b2825bc60b.png

The table in the link above doesn't go back as far as 1945, so can you please advise me the status of folks born before the table starts.

Thanks. 

image.png

Edited by scorecard

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

The table in the link above doesn't go back as far as 1945, so can you please advise me the status of folks born before the table starts.

Thanks. 

Beyond those dates you are already at the current retirement age. 1945, you would 74 years old, way past any retirement age.

• Like 1

Your status is that you can return to Australia and claim the Age Pension but you wont get portability for 2 years.

The amount of pension that will be paid overseas will also only be a percentage based on 35 years Australian Working Life Residency, for example if you only worked 25 years in Australia (Assumed to start at age 15) only 25/35 (as a percentage) is portable.

• Like 1