Australian Aged Pension

On 3/27/2024 at 4:43 PM, Artisi said:

I don't think the link should be closed, better off closing down those who persist in posting, baiting, bad mouthing posters and trying to win points.

Unfortunately the subject which is / was important is currently way-off track and needs to get back to what it was about when originally started. 

I agree - please do not close this thgread - ban those who keep breaking the rules, but dont punish the rest of us for their sins.

This is an important thread to all Aussies.  The Pension is always changing and Aussies need to be aware of it. Unlike most other countries where the Pension is a done deal and somewhat locked in when first given, in Aust if the Pension changes, it changes for everyone - including those living overseas - but they dont tell us of the changes.  And I guarantee that the Aust Embassy does not give a rat's rear about Pensioners in Thailand and will not take any steps to keep them informed of any changes in the Pension rules. 

Services Australia publishes a newsletter in October each year - but that is about all they do to advise of changes. 

Australian Pension News - Retirement years - Services Australia

Most changes are mentioned and discussed on forum's like this, well before they are officialy published online. 

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I agree - please do not close this thgread - ban those who keep breaking the rules, but dont punish the rest of us for their sins.

This is an important thread to all Aussies.  The Pension is always changing and Aussies need to be aware of it. Unlike most other countries where the Pension is a done deal and somewhat locked in when first given, in Aust if the Pension changes, it changes for everyone - including those living overseas - but they dont tell us of the changes.  And I guarantee that the Aust Embassy does not give a rat's rear about Pensioners in Thailand and will not take any steps to keep them informed of any changes in the Pension rules. 

Services Australia publishes a newsletter in October each year - but that is about all they do to advise of changes. 

Australian Pension News - Retirement years - Services Australia

Most changes are mentioned and discussed on forum's like this, well before they are officialy published online. 

As I have said before, if no-one responds to the s*!tstirrers, it deprives them of oxygen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this thread will become redundant in the years to come. 

As I said some time ago, around 1992 superannuation was introduced.  The whole idea was one was forced to save for their retirement, thus, no Aged Pension for them, as they would be over thresholds to claim it.  This was by government design.

I posted the math on this some time ago, based on the average Australian salary, and entering the workforce at 18 and retiring at 67.  It showed clearly even an average worker being over today's thresholds. 

It means, the only people that will be on the aged pension in the future will be people who have played there Centerlink system all their life, and never worked.  Eg. dole bludgers.  This demographic are not your typical Aussie retiree in Thailand, thus, having any interest in this website.

I have said in the past the changes to tax residency in Australia is the single biggest issue facing retired Aussie aged pensioners in decades, and I stand by that.  Some have said that debate has hijacked the thread, but when it's not being discussed, the threat is dead. 

What else is there to discuss, portability, it's been done to death.  You have to do your 2 years.  Simple at that.   

Of course keep the thread going, don't close it, but it will eventually become obsolete due to laws and policies in Australia that targeted the next generation of retiree coming through. 

I can see the day when a pinned thread will be, "Australian Superannuation" which will sit at the top of this forum.