BANGKOK 22 February 2019 03:48
Sign in to follow this  
legag

Planning to go for vacation

Saw a German guy in a ditch only yesterday. He had come off his bike after sliding on loose soil/sand that had fallen off the back of a truck. Stuck him in the back of the pick-up and took him to the local clinic where they patched him up. He wasnt drunk and had ridden bikes before, but the back wheel just went from under him on a corner and there was nothing he could do about it.

Best to drive the largest vehicle you can afford to, and if that's a small scooter then ride as though you expect everyone else on the road to kill you. That way you'll stay alert.

Guemlum & Cuban - thanks for the mention of me & the site.

Hi Changian, probably remember me as Gary...nice to see you on the forum. Have posted a few pictures in this forum from Koh Chang, including one or our boat trip with you.

Look forward to reading any of your future posts.

Guemlum

I can confirm, having lived there for a year, and seen a crash near enough dailey, the last one fatel of a 16 year old boy falling of his motor bike and having his stomach cut wide open and the side of his face smashed, that the roads are leathel. My very first day on the island i was involved in a small accident 100yrds off the ferry, someone hit me in the back end, and the reason was because the tarmac in places is like ice as there is no grip. On that same day it started to rain and i say a 4x4 sliding backwards down the hills of the tarmac. The next day i helped balance a 4x4 that was hanging off the edge as it couldn't find traction to reverse. There are endless motor cycle accidents that are either drunken tourists or riders that have been forced of the roads by mini bus drivers over taking without a second thought for the oncoming driver or rider.

There are a few areas where the tarmac is ok, and it is only ok. However if you venture left of the island when leaving the ferry, the roads are much better until you reach near the end, as i mentioned you will require a 4x4 at this point, i have attached a photo on another thread here.

The problem is the roads are not maintaned, they wait for it to collapse or be washed away before anything is done, and then it is repaired poorely. The pot hole and ditches are one thing, but the traction is another.

If you do go by car then just be careful.

Edited by TommyGun

You've got to be kidding me!!. We've been visiting Koh Chang twice a year for the past five years. In that time we've had 3 motorbike accidents, and not because we are bad drivers. The amount of building work going on on the island has bought an influx of large construction vehicles which spew oil all over the roads. This has been one of the many reasons for a large spate of accidents on the Island. Not only that, you get the typical drunk Thais and backpackers who seem to think they are indestructable after a few drinks on their way home.

Nope, not kidding, I've found the roads to be fine compared with most other Thai islands and I've never seen or heard of an accident on the island. Sealed, paved roads all the way and relatively low volume of traffic. I agree with you about the east coast though, but there's no real reason to drive round there anyway, and you can access Lonely Beach and Bang Bao very easily from the west coast roads.

However, having said all this, the bottom-right picture on post #2 on this thread would seem to suggest otherwise...! :o

i think you must wear some special driving glasses..because you certainly haven't the same impression as most people who drive on KC.

However I might add that I couldn't go to the place without my own transport.....the very idea of being stuck in a resort or being at the mercy of lunatic song taew drivers is just too much!

Road where you will need a 4x4.

post-43188-1200379368_thumb.jpg post-43188-1200379404_thumb.jpg post-43188-1200379442_thumb.jpg post-43188-1200379484_thumb.jpg

OK - this is the un-metaled road to Long Beach...you don't need 4wd in the dry but you would be pretty foolhardy to try it in the wet. A lot of this gets washed away....but no doubt they will asphalt it at some point too.

what will really open up that end of the island is when they connect the 2 ends of the present road.

Edited by wilko

I think the tourists on motorbikes issue has been a problem worldwide since people started going on holiday, choose any country in the world where there are vistors let loose on holiday with powered transport under there own control (word used loosely) and you will have a series of "accidents" where the underlying cause is lack of experiance of control in local conditions.

Whether the situation is bikers in Pattaya expecting other larger traffic to give them enough room , wet-bike riders assuming the swimmer will get out of their way or holiday 4x4 drivers expecting the chunky tires to deal with the poor road surface at speed. The lesson I was taught long ago was; "Never put your vehicle anywhere unless you have been there first with your eyes and your brain."

If the road surface were greatly improved, traffic both local and tourist would simply ignore all speed limits and I suggest there might be more accidents.

Rough roads keep the speed down, if the road through White Sands where improved to allow two lorries to pass each other at speed then I suggest that they would do so and make the situation for slower drivers or those on bikes and motor bikes and on foot less safe.

Nope, not kidding, I've found the roads to be fine compared with most other Thai islands and I've never seen or heard of an accident on the island

Although the roads may appear better than other Thai islands (Koh Phangnan, Ko Tao Samui etc) they are certainly not "fine" the road surface is so smooth that even a little bit of water or oil renders them lethal, add to this the tight corners and "blind" humps in the road...

As other posters have noted there are many many accidents on Koh Chang. I lived there for a year (about 5 years ago) and I saw accidents virtually every week. I dread to think what it is like now with all the construction traffic....

Edited by ashacat

I think the tourists on motorbikes issue has been a problem worldwide since people started going on holiday, choose any country in the world where there are vistors let loose on holiday with powered transport under there own control (word used loosely) and you will have a series of "accidents" where the underlying cause is lack of experiance of control in local conditions.

Whether the situation is bikers in Pattaya expecting other larger traffic to give them enough room , wet-bike riders assuming the swimmer will get out of their way or holiday 4x4 drivers expecting the chunky tires to deal with the poor road surface at speed. The lesson I was taught long ago was; "Never put your vehicle anywhere unless you have been there first with your eyes and your brain."

If the road surface were greatly improved, traffic both local and tourist would simply ignore all speed limits and I suggest there might be more accidents.

Rough roads keep the speed down, if the road through White Sands where improved to allow two lorries to pass each other at speed then I suggest that they would do so and make the situation for slower drivers or those on bikes and motor bikes and on foot less safe.

I was making a point about the quality of the roads not the responsibility of the drivers. Lots of accidents on Koh chang are cause by poor grip on the tarmac not the driver or rider. To much front braking will take the bike from you going down hill. I have see so many cars and trucks that have gone of the edge because of the lack of grip, just before you approach white sands is great for this. You could argue that people need to slow down, but for the tourist going there that has no experience on the roads they need to be aware of the road surface condition Of course people need to be responsible, and im sure there are much worse places, Koh Chang is still a dangerous place to drive whether on a hot sunny day or rain.

Edited by TommyGun