Finally Quit For Good.

Jockstar

The last year i have been trying to quit the smokes. I has cut down to a couple a week(ie if someone was smoking round me i wanted one and usually had one) So i smoked all through Xmas and New Year as i knew once i was back in Sydney(was away camping) i would stop. This time really stop and not half hearted. So today has been my 10th day of no smokes. I am glad i have finally done it. No one i work with smokes and not being able to smoke in pubs has made it alot easier. So to those who are trying to quit. You can do it. Good luck.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GO FOR IT Jockstar !

I quit 2 months ago 'cold turkey' with the help of Acupuncture. One week later I had one more treatment with the needles, just to be sure and try to stop 'snacking' and eating sweets & candy stuff. Gained a bit nevertheless, but that will fade away.

Never touched a cigarette again.

Good Luck !

edit:

Forgot to mention that I quit alcohol first and stopped about 3 1/2 months ago; not a single drop anymore and quit smoking later. Will continue to stop drinking alcohol as I wish to lose weight....but it's tough to lose weight. The alcohol is no problem though.

If you'd ask me, "do you feel a lot better" the answer would be:

NO :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

GO FOR IT Jockstar !

I quit 2 months ago 'cold turkey' with the help of Acupuncture. One week later I had one more treatment with the needles, just to be sure and try to stop 'snacking' and eating sweets & candy stuff. Gained a bit nevertheless, but that will fade away.

Good Luck !

LaoPo

Thing is i was a pack a day man up until a couple of years ago. Then i just cut down to a few a day, then a few a week. But now. None. It took a few years and several attempts. But i believe i have finally arrived at that point where i dont want to smoke again. This year is going to be a good year, i can feel it.

GO FOR IT Jockstar !

Good Luck !

LaoPo

Thing is i was a pack a day man up until a couple of years ago. Then i just cut down to a few a day, then a few a week. But now. None. It took a few years and several attempts. But i believe i have finally arrived at that point where i dont want to smoke again. This year is going to be a good year, i can feel it.

Well done Jockstar!! You have done an amazing thing for your health...the hardest part is now behind you!! When I first quit (for a couple of weeks) when I had a full-on craving I would search out scary smoking related photos on the internet...helped push me through and now its over a year...well done again!

Congratulations, Jockstar. I am running out of excuses NOT to stop smoking. Previously I was surrounded by smokers and had a bf who smoked. Present bf is very anti-smoking so that's a start.

Just wondering, what percentage of Thai people smoke? Any figures? Is the rate falling?

Peter

Yes well done indeed! I was a social smoker who could cut down but never stop completely.......until I got pregnant that is.Smoking is one of the worst habits to kick but as they say 'Kick your bad habits before they kick you!'

This is a good website that sends you out e-mails every day to help you quit smoking.Good for the psychological process you are going through. http://www.quitsmokingonline.com/aboutus.htm Keep up your determination and never give up on this,it really is 'Quit For Life'

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks. Was out on the piss Saturday and Sunday this weekend gone. People were smoking, i never had one cigarette. I'm proud of myself.

I'm on my second week, was out on Saturday and normally I'd have not been able to resist the temptation, but I'm starting to feel better for it. I'll probably start again thought 6 months down the line. :o

Tomorrow will be 3 weeks. Was out on the piss Saturday and Sunday this weekend gone. People were smoking, i never had one cigarette. I'm proud of myself.

I'm on my second week, was out on Saturday and normally I'd have not been able to resist the temptation, but I'm starting to feel better for it. I'll probably start again thought 6 months down the line. :o

Dont do it mate. Keep up the fight. Just think about how good you feel. I smell people smoking at work on site. But dont want a ciggie. I am happy that i have given up. This year i am going to try and get fitter especially for the new football season thats kicks off in a few months. :D :D

Well done to all!

I gave up with the Quomem a few days ago due to them making me feel like crap. I have now done 3 days 'cold turkey' and i feel like murdering a close relative. If anyone comes near me with a fag i could quite easily stick it up their nose. Is it normal to feel like this?

Cheers, Rick

Well done to all!

I gave up with the Quomem a few days ago due to them making me feel like crap. I have now done 3 days 'cold turkey' and i feel like murdering a close relative. If anyone comes near me with a fag i could quite easily stick it up their nose. Is it normal to feel like this?

Cheers, Rick

The first 10-14 days are tough...very tough. The mind and body are fighting the addiction. Better talk and warn the people around you and explain and apologize upfront...not if you behaved bad and have to do it afterwards. It helps.

Maybe have a look in BKK for a good acupuncturist (Chinatown?) who has experience in helping people to stop smoking; I read you stopped but it might help for other bad habits like eating and taking sweets.

He might be able to put a needle or two to relax and control your mood swings better (if you have any of course ...)

Good luck !

LaoPo

been trying for years,stopped for 2 years ,then started again ,idiot had one every now and again and before i knew it i was back ,going to the uk in march 1st time im 10 years ,with no smoking in pubs and restaurants will find it hard to smoke so will try again while im there.

Well done to all!

Cheers, Rick

The first 10-14 days are tough...very tough. The mind and body are fighting the addiction. Better talk and warn the people around you and explain and apologize upfront...not if you behaved bad and have to do it afterwards. It helps.

Maybe have a look in BKK for a good acupuncturist (Chinatown?) who has experience in helping people to stop smoking; I read you stopped but it might help for other bad habits like eating and taking sweets.

He might be able to put a needle or two to relax and control your mood swings better (if you have any of course ...)

Good luck !

LaoPo

Hi Laopo,

Thanks for the comments and i have taken your advice by making the people around me aware, although it was probably very obvious in the first place. I am now on Day 4 and to be honest it has been a bit easier today with not so much of the nicotine craving. If things get back to as bad as they were yesterday i will certainly check out the accupuncture in Chinatown, as i am determined to stop this time at all costs!

Cheers, Rick

Well done to all!

Cheers, Rick

Good luck !

LaoPo

Hi Laopo,

Thanks for the comments and i have taken your advice by making the people around me aware, although it was probably very obvious in the first place. I am now on Day 4 and to be honest it has been a bit easier today with not so much of the nicotine craving. If things get back to as bad as they were yesterday i will certainly check out the accupuncture in Chinatown, as i am determined to stop this time at all costs!

Cheers, Rick

Well done Rick. Keep it up mate. It does get easier.

Well done to all!

Cheers, Rick

Good luck !

LaoPo

Hi Laopo,

Cheers, Rick

Well done Rick. Keep it up mate. It does get easier.

Thanks for the encouragement mate i will try to follow your example.

Cheers, Rick

You know i was away this weekend. Many people smoking around me. More than normal. I wanted to prove to myself that i dont need a smoke. So i had one. But i only had 4 puffs and put it out. Hated it. I am never going to smoke again.

You know i was away this weekend. Many people smoking around me. More than normal. I wanted to prove to myself that i dont need a smoke. So i had one. But i only had 4 puffs and put it out. Hated it. I am never going to smoke again.

Well done Jockstar you are doing a great job. This is the situation that worries me when i am with my mates in the pub. They all smoke and i am dreading going to the boozer having a few beers and being tempted again. I am ok at the moment because i am working alone in Pakistan, so there is obviously no bar situation.

7 Days smoke free now and chuffed to bits.

Cheers, Rick.

Try and stick it out - resist the temptation to light up at all costs. I quit for 3 months 2 years ago, but lit up in a bar once on a break in Phuket, then ended up smoking again.

Thing is, I can go for days without cigs when not drinking. Put me in a smoky bar, no matter how long the break, and it's too difficult to resist most of the time. I'm one of the few smokers who's actually looking for this no smoking rule kicking in on Feb 11th, but still wondering if even that will be enough?

4 weeks now. :o:D

Well done. I smoked 1 - 2 packs a day for 33 years. Tried the Quomem route many times, longest I got to was 7 or 8 months, then at a time when I was really upset about work, started smoking again. Several more failed attempts with Quomem, sometimes off a few weeks, sometimes 2 months.

Then, thanks to encouragement from a friend who told me about his dad quitting when he was 50, I promised myself that that was the time for me too. "Not 50 yet" became almost an excuse everytime I wanted to stop and could not!

2 months before my 50th, I had a full medical, first in about 17 years. Clean bill of health, so I started on Quomem again. I also started exercising, as this was the key to my previous longest quit. Nothing strenuous, just 30 - 40 minutes of very brisk walking 3 - 4 times a week on a treadmill at the condo where I was living.

February will be 2 years since I stopped, and I have promised myself I will never touch a cigarette again, because I can't smoke just 1. Have 1 and I will end up buying a pack for sure, so safest for me is to never smoke again.

I have come to the point where I can be in the pub and not be tempted by others smoking. In fact the smoke troubles me and I have a miserable time the next day sneezing and having a running nose - payback for the 33 years I smoked I guess.

Point to all this is it is never too late to stop. This attempt may be the one that you succeed with. And if having 'just 1' has got you back to smoking before, then this time avoid that 'just 1' like the plague. Everytime I tried and failed, I had managed to convince myself that I would just smoke the cigarette I bummed off someone, or I would just smoke that Friday out in the pub and not the next day. So this time I accepted that I do not have that sort of iron self control and just said "not even 1". It worked.

4 weeks now. :o:D

Well done mate you are an inspiration to my efforts in stopping smoking and regaining control of my lungs. Keep it up.

I am on 9 days now and its still difficult, so at what stage does it get easier?

Cheers, Rick

For me, after 2 weeks or so.

Now clean since Nov. 15 and there's hardly a moment in any day that I even think of a cigarette.

I stay away from smoking places as much as possible, which isn't too hard since smoking in bars/restaurants is (almost) done now in my country. I don't even have a problem with people who still smoke in my neighbourhood, although that happens incidentally.

LaoPo

That's good. You should try to hang on to that feeling of distaste and repulsion, for the next time you want to try. I was always a social smoker who could never stop completely, especially when I was out drinking with friends. But, now the idea of cigarettes nauseate me, and I can drink plenty of beer without needing to smoke, around people who smoke. When I do get tempted, I just remember how nauseated I was the last time.