28 Children Injured In Siam Park Water Slide Accident

george

ASTV1 are discussing this park at the moment and it is showing the owner, presumably, going to visit the kids in the hospital and giving them gifts. He also has stated that he didn't know the condition of this slide because his engineers didn't inform him and he can't know everything because it's a big park and he relies on his staff to inform him of these problems. He is now putting the park up for sale for 5,000,000,000 baht.

Breaking news The Nation January 13, 2008 : Last updated 04:13 pm

Siam Park for sale at Bt5billion

The owner of Siam Park offered to sell this 26-year-old theme park at Bt5billion.

The offer came after the park's Super Spiral waterslide partially collapsed and injured dozens of children on the National Children's Day.

A few months ago, a ride at the Siam Park also killed a woman and injured some other victims.

The Siam Park spans over 300 rai of land with water park and many garden zones. The Bt5billion sale price include the whole park and all rides there.

The Nation

Unquote

I would hope this doesn,t let him of the hook.

" The park's managing director said management would take responsibility for medical costs and urged parents not to worry, because the children were all right. "

May all the injured make a full recovery and the ultimate responsiblity be put were it belongs and not be passed on the others who work under his authority and do or do not carry out essential maintenance according to his required obligations as the owner.

Yet another Puyai low life showing his total disregard when it comes to spending money and the exploitation of the innocents.

In this instance CHILDREN

marshbags

Edited by marshbags

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The owner of Siam Park offered to sell this 26-year-old theme park at Bt5billion.

The offer came after the park's Super Spiral waterslide partially collapsed and injured dozens of children on the National Children's Day.

A few months ago, a ride at the Siam Park also killed a woman and injured some other victims.

The Siam Park spans over 300 rai of land with water park and many garden zones. The Bt5billion sale price include the whole park and all rides there.

The Nation

""Is he really expecting anyopne to be interested now?""

The park is right next door but I won't ever take my son there unless they shape up. Anyone that have ever visited it must have noticed the poor standard of that place.

How about jail time for execs that doesn't have safety and maintenance plans?

That is the ONLY way to get any improvement started.

Demand responsibility by the ones sitting at the top, raking in the profits.

You guys should go to the Samut Prakarn Crocodile Farm. A wooden footbridge, definitely needing some maintenance, leads you over a pond with hundreds of enormous crocs. Disaster awaiting!

I was there maybe 15 years ago. It was very crowded. I crossed the bridge and it was really swaying, I went off and said it might not be safe. Smiles everywhere. Funny farang.!

Edited by poldebol

I see the Thai knockers are out in force again. Unfortunately this kind of thing happens quite regually all over ther world,at least once a year. In fact I think two accidents in 20 years is not a bad safttey record. Alton Towers has had three such incidents in the last two years, so I suppose that means that all British workers are <deleted>. No, of course it doesn't. It's just that this new age load of posters on this forum, just happen to live in Thailand, and think all Thais should be thrown out of the country because they are useless. Look at the Canadian murder in Chaing Mai, you bunch had the whole story solved in about ten minutes even though most of it was utter bull-shit. What gets me, is if the majority of you hate Thailand and the Thai people so much, what are you doing living here. If I hated it I would move. Maybe that's just because I am clever though.

I guess if your own child was one of th 28 you would address your anger against the Park not against what you call Thai knockers. Safety standards ARE low in this country (read my other post if you don't believe it) and you can't expect any farang to find that good. If it's okay for you that over 400 people get killed in road accidents over new year and another 400 will pass away in April, then that's great and you can be happy, but I think it is a shame.

Didn't read everything here, sorry. Haven't really got the time, and there is lots of repetition; worthy contributions though they are.

I like george's contributions, all made without comment (those I've seen anyway). Says something methinks. Like brewsta's cynical "sun rises......tragedy occurs (or similar)......sun sets, in LOS". Someone said the 'safety chip is missing'' - an accurate 21st century comment I'd guess.

Crap like this occurs the world over of course (even in Oz, much to my chagrin and shame).

H.L.Mencken apparently thought that most people are idiots. I, being a person with an inflated opinion of himself, tend to agree. He also said "All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it". Unlike HLM I admit it.

I like the Thais; I liked, and was smitten by, their incessant smiling, in the early '90's. I retuned to Oz after the first trip in a euphoric state, convinced that I had found a paradise. I liked and still like the 'positive' outlook of the Thais.

George's photograph of the slide shocked me. Its flimsiness was pretty darn obvious, to my eyes.

We here in Oz also do some pretty stupid stuff; our 'laidback' attitude is not totally dissimilar to that of the Thais. It's more of a 'couldn't care less' attitude here really.

My feeling is that a vey small percentage of people - anywhere - keep things rolling smoothly, safely. These people save us from the chaos and lawlessness of a Mexico and of certain latin american and african countries. If you are unaware of these instances then you don't follow the news (though you are doubtless charming company, and kind to small animals and your mother. For this we are grateful).

These few people, let's say 5%, are mostly unsung but highly accountable, but mainly to their own consciences. They have no respect for lawmakers but great respect for the need for laws. They are the unofficial guardians, the true leaders. Such people often get written up in the papers here, and have books wriiten about them. As in other western countries. Not too sure about the LOS.

Occasionally some get medals from our government. I doubt that Thailand has such medals, even recognises or understands the concept. I'm only guessing though...perhaps they recognise heroism, and have a list of heros. Don't know. Anyway. if the figure is 5% here in Oz I imagine it's perhaps 2% in Thailand, or maybe 1%.

Money and power is revered in Thailand, it would seem, to a slightly greater degree than it is elsewhere.

Well, ere in Oz anyway.

The Thai 'wai with the smile' from the rich is somehow taken at face value it seems. In western countries the rich and powerful don't smile too much, and never wai. They know they are disliked and certainly not trusted. And the people try to avoid them, for safety's sake.

The people usually don't trust the powerful. They check the brakes, kick the tyres, feel the texture before 'buying'. The Thais do not it seems, which is why they are so charming, so endearing.

Not too sure if I've made a point. Doubt it. Just like raving, really. :D:D

I'm just bemused that people expect a better attitude from the moneyed and powerful. They aren't superior beings. They just like a buck a h_ll of a lot more than you and me. :o

Well, I've just listened to the news again, and the owner is saying that he employs over 300 employees at this place alone, most of them Engineers, the majority, falang Engineers, and pays them more than 2 million baht, per month, to check all these structures so that they are safe for everyone to enjoy!

He also stated this is why he is now selling because he can neither trust the falang or thai engineers to do their jobs and keep everyone safe although he has paid them to do so.

I guess now, this is not just a THAI problem, it's all our problem!!!!!!!!!!!! We have lazy farangs toooooooooooooo. What a surprise!!!!!!!!!!!

I was there a few years ago and was horrified by a solid mass of children moving down the slide, approx 30 of them all screaming and laughing. I am used to these rides where there is an official at the top who lets one down at a time,as has been stated so much , it was just a question of when?

Well, I've just listened to the news again, and the owner is saying that he employs over 300 employees at this place alone, most of them Engineers, the majority, falang Engineers, and pays them more than 2 million baht, per month, to check all these structures so that they are safe for everyone to enjoy!

He also stated this is why he is now selling because he can neither trust the falang or thai engineers to do their jobs and keep everyone safe although he has paid them to do so.

I guess now, this is not just a THAI problem, it's all our problem!!!!!!!!!!!! We have lazy farangs toooooooooooooo. What a surprise!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone can confirm that there really are farang engineers working there? Maybe just that particular slide doesn't have a farang to take care? Maybe the owner is lying? If it is true, the fun is over then for here. Let's move on to another thread. There is one next door about bus drivers! Let's go!

Anyone can confirm that there really are farang engineers working there? Maybe just that particular slide doesn't have a farang to take care? Maybe the owner is lying? If it is true, the fun is over then for here. Let's move on to another thread. There is one next door about bus drivers! Let's go!

Well I was there once with my family around 2 years ago - it was packed with Thai families sitting on the concete - every square metre covered with a mat, etc. I can tell you, the only people who worked there were trying to sell you something, like food, drinks, etc. Never saw any staff at the top of the slides, etc. No lifeguards (that I ever saw) -- and certainly no "farang staff" -- how predictable these hi-so chinese-thai owners would try to blame foreigners for their little rip-off joint, PATHETIC BUT NOT SURPRISING!! And now that they've lost face, they cross their arms and state they are ready to sell the place for 5 billion baht. Well now, don't go away mad, just go away.

Sorry another edit as it struck me that, here again is a difference in the way Western media would cover this story in their own countries. The Bangkok Post (above the fold) upper-right top story today reports on Children's Day and all the fun kids had and how they went to government houses, ya-da-ya-da..and only below the fold in a SIDEBAR reports the incident at Siam Park. Now maybe we're just cynical in the West - but that would have led the paper at the top - tragedy dampens Children's Day or something like that...THEN, there would have been three days of INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING into how many other accidents have happened there that haven't been reported - maybe other kids have drowned, been assualted, abducted there - but only the police know about it?

Edited by thaigene2

Update:

Four injured children remain in hospital

BANGKOK: -- Four out of the 28 children who suffered injuries after a theme park ride collapsed at Siam Park on Children’s Day remained in hospital for treatment, doctors said on Sunday.

Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin this morning visited all four injured children at hospital and ordered a 15- day closure of the Super Spiral waterslide at Siam Park so thorough checks could be made on it as well as other rides.

The accident occurred when a joint on the park's premier ride, the Super Spiral waterslide, came loose and sent the children plunging from the ride onto the ground.

Doctors at Nopparat Hospital, near Siam Park, said they expected three of the four boys now receiving treatment at the hospital would be discharged within the next one or two days. The fourth boy, aged 13, was still in critical condition with a head injury and vomiting.

Most of the 28 children suffered head injuries. Some also had broken limbs and bruises.

Chantra Purnariksha, secretary-general of the Office of Insurance Regulatory and Supervision Commission, said Siam Park was insured with a local insurance firm and children who had suffered serious injuries would be entitled to receive 500,000 baht each as compensation.

A similar accident occurred at Siam Park last October. The amusement park hit headlines when the Indiana Log ride malfunctioned, killing a 35 year old woman died and seriously injuring five others.

-- TNA 2008-01-13

Here is some info from IAAPA files ( IAAPA.com ) which goes to shows that the number of injuries happening in Thailand are far too many. Thailand does not have a fraction of the rides that America has.

In 2005, more than 300 million guests visited U.S. amusement facilities and safely enjoyed 1.8 billion rides. The most recent Fixed-site Amusement Ride Injury Survey highlights that an estimated 1,713 ride related injuries occurred in 2005 with a low average of four fatalities a year going back to 1987. Only 132 of the injuries in 2005 were reported as “serious”, meaning that they required some form of overnight treatment at a hospital; this comprised roughly 7 percent of all ride injuries.

I can hear it now " Thailand is not America " , "Go back to America " etc etc.... The point is that Amusement rides in general are not safe in Thailand. Same like the crime, the roads etc... IT IS WHAT IT IS ! It bugs me when some people on TV try to hide the fact and thus people let their guard down and end up having problems. Tell it like it really is. This is a site for facts not fiction.

F#$% Siam Park and especially it's slimy owner now saying most of his 300 employees are foreign engineers.

I guarantee you once the slide has reopened, the metal structure and railings that are part of the concrete stair structure will still be in a poor and dangerous state, just like I guarantee you that those small bridges over their flowing river pool are about to collapse on bathers below, just like I can also guarantee you record deaths for next Songkran, and the one after that, and the one after that. An endless cycle of face loss where nothing is ever learned except for coming up with even more ridiculous complex excuses and obvious lies that allows bullsh!t and injuries like this to happen all over again.

Third world/developing country my ass. They excel at copying,reverse engineering, replicating with no regards for copyrights or intellectual property but when it comes to maintenance expenses or using slightly higher grade materials, well those are just some crazy farang concepts that eat up profit.

Anyone can confirm that there really are farang engineers working there? Maybe just that particular slide doesn't have a farang to take care? Maybe the owner is lying?

If there are, they must all only come out late at night.

In a dozen trips there, I've never seen a single farang employee, engineer or otherwise. :o

Edited by sriracha john

To add to the photos I posted earlier is this zoom shot...

30062124-01.jpg

The Nation

===============================================================================

on another note.... the owner is sad

SIAM WATER PARK

Sad owner to sell his stake

Chaiwat says he's depressed after 28 kids injured

The President of the Siam Park water amusement complex is so depressed by the latest accident that he is shutting down and selling out.

After 26 years, Siam Park will be closed and sold for Bt5 billion, President Chaiwat Leungamornphan said. He said he could not take another accident. Park-goers have been killed and injured in recent incidents.

"My heart is down after learning more people have been injured on a ride at Siam Park. I have been thinking about it all night and I have decided to sell," he said.

There have been two serious accidents at the park in the past three months. In October, one woman was killed and others injured on a ride.

On Saturday, 28 children aged between 10 and 13 were injured when a water slide broke and sent them plummeting two metres to the ground. They were rushed to hospital with head injuries and broken bones.

Chaiwat is meeting today with executives to consider an offer for the park from unnamed buyers. The 300-rai park is the country's most popular and first water-amusement complex.

As many as 10,000 people a day - or more than two million a year - visit. Yesterday, it was almost empty.

Chaiwat has run the park since it opened. He said it had lost Bt2 billion in that time, and almost Bt4 billion had been spent on maintenance and new rides.

Chaiwat said the park did its best to prevent accidents and had employed foreign engineers and advisers to train staff.

He admitted some staff were "careless" and lacked experience. He blamed this for the accidents.

"I love it, but I have to sell because I cannot take the burden any longer," he said. "This place is like a gift that I never had when I was young. I want children to have fun on the rides. It's an amazing feeling."

Chaiwat said after selling, he would form a charitable foundation to help people.

Bangkok Governor Apriak Kosayodhin has visited victims in hospital. Four remain admitted. He said the Khan Na Yao district office had asked the park to close the water slide for 15 days so it could be inspected. District director Teeraboon Manupeerapen said city engineers would look at the collapsed ride and others.

The park will have to ensure all rides are up to standard before the park will be issued another licence.

The government needs to issue a special regulation covering the equipment at amusement parks, he added. Rides are not covered by the Building Control Act of 1979.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Chaiwat said the park did its best to prevent accidents and had employed foreign engineers and advisers to train staff.

He admitted some staff were "careless" and lacked experience. He blamed this for the accidents.

- The Nation

I'm curious as to what type of undefined training the staff received. Perhaps conversation and grammar? If they were like many of the students I've taught over the past years, I'm not surprised at all. Many don't want to listen, haven't a clue or are aware of what is being given to them, or find applications necessary. The owner himself admitted this when he stated about carelessness and lacking experience. No surprise at all.

The safest time to go on one of these rides is after an accident like this... :o

WRONG!!! Perhaps you think the "appropriate action" will now be taken because of the accident...WRONG.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it is "repaired" with some baling wire (probably old and rusty, found laying around) and back in service w/in a few days.

[i lived next to Thai university engineering students for two years. The scene? Partying 24/7. Never once saw anyone crack a book, and only saw them attend classes at mid-terms and finals weeks.

I wonder if there's any correlation between those who are the gatekeepers of Thailand's engineering safety and their "training?" Just a distant hunch. :o

Are you for real? Sounds like alot of undergrad students.

Guess I've just been sheltered all my life within the sedate, studious, geeky confines of humanities students! :D

[quote name='scratt' date='2008-01-13 10:03:29' post='1758308']

[s... But what have any of you done to try and solve this problem?

What would you expect anyone to do??? I assume you have been here long enough to kno that complaining or pointing out problems (even potentially fatal ones) is totally useless, and considered "jai dam", especially from a farang.

Here is some info from IAAPA files ( IAAPA.com )

That's the industry lobbying group. It's like asking the cattlemen's association to comment on the benefits of a vegan lifestyle.

Alot of erroneous assumptions and statements are being made comparing this park to "western" parks. Here is a decent site that lists amusement park incidents from all over the world. The siam park's 2 incidents receive write ups. There are links to incident reports, stats and industry associations. Some articles give the industry views, others point out the endemic dangers of amusement parks.

For all you folks that think that this incident couldn' t happen in the USA, UK, Canada Japan, etc. Think again, because it does happen with regularity. People die and lose limbs every year throughout the world at amusement parks. It's not specific to Thailand.

Washington Post last December lambasted the US feds because there were no federal standards for amusement parks; On Thrill Rides, Safety Is Optional: No Federal Oversight of Theme Parks By Elizabeth Williamson Washington Post Staff Writer Tuesday, December 4, 2007; Page A01 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7120302400.html

I like this headline from the Tulsa, OK local newspaper last June;

Water-Slide Rules: State inspection lacking But after a recent collapse at a Big Splash ride, state officials may require it for water slides. http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070617_238_A21_hButa21346&breadcrumb=state

Know what's funny about the Tulsa article? If it had appeared in the Nation there would be a cavalcade of geniuses attributing it to the "third world" status of Thailand. Look at all the incidents on the listings. Several are examples of gross negligence and downright stupidity, yet no one is bellowing "third world" or "corrupt" in respect to the US, Japanese operators etc.

Well, where's the link, what are the numbers of parks and usage per capita in each country, and what is the remediation after an accident? You posted the links to the articles, but not the amusement park site. Only scale, frequency and remediation are going to give you any comparative basis.

You are also wrong about people not saying anything about Western failure. If there is a failure in safety standards, then people will say speak out, as they are doing now in Congress to strengthen enforcements with federal oversight.

Here is some info from IAAPA files ( IAAPA.com ) which goes to shows that the number of injuries happening in Thailand are far too many. Thailand does not have a fraction of the rides that America has.

In 2005, more than 300 million guests visited U.S. amusement facilities and safely enjoyed 1.8 billion rides. The most recent Fixed-site Amusement Ride Injury Survey highlights that an estimated 1,713 ride related injuries occurred in 2005 with a low average of four fatalities a year going back to 1987. Only 132 of the injuries in 2005 were reported as “serious”, meaning that they required some form of overnight treatment at a hospital; this comprised roughly 7 percent of all ride injuries.

I can hear it now " Thailand is not America " , "Go back to America " etc etc.... The point is that Amusement rides in general are not safe in Thailand. Same like the crime, the roads etc... IT IS WHAT IT IS ! It bugs me when some people on TV try to hide the fact and thus people let their guard down and end up having problems. Tell it like it really is. This is a site for facts not fiction.

I for one am not asking anyone here to "Go back to America" or whatever country it is, rather saying no need to get overly upset about these things. Let's say the thais in this respect(safety standards) are toddlers and westerners are grown adults, would you get upset when they tumble whilst learning to walk and start comparing them with adults? I guess most are just going to sit back and watch how they progress?

However tragic those incidents are, we have to accept that this is the world we are living in and it is indeed evolving in different paces. I would also like to point out that, imho, I think these are part of the things that has made you people find living in a third world country interesting.

Let's carrying on with the party anyway! Now that we see they have lied about the farang engineers part! :o

Well, where's the link, what are the numbers of parks and usage per capita in each country, and what is the remediation after an accident? You posted the links to the articles, but not the amusement park site. Only scale, frequency and remediation are going to give you any comparative basis.

You are also wrong about people not saying anything about Western failure. If there is a failure in safety standards, then people will say speak out, as they are doing now in Congress to strengthen enforcements with federal oversight.

To strengthen? I thought they should have been perfect already in western countries and had left no room for improvement?

:o

Well, where's the link,

http://www.rideaccidents.com/

ut oh, somebody better tell the various industry lobbyists then, because they say self regulation is better, Sort of odd though that Ralph Nader raised the issue decades ago and no one did anything. Maybe they are under the influence of Thailand.........

Well, Ralph Nader raised the issue, and perhaps it was raised on various state levels also, and now others are doing so in Congress.

Also, I'm sure there were large punitive damages where accidents did happen, so you can't really say that nothing happened. I never argued that accidents do not happen in developed countries, but there is more of a chance of holding owners responsible, because of higher liability and punitive damages.