New Rules For Thai Youths Under 18

george

New rules for youths under 18

BANGKOK: -- The Education Ministry will issue new regulations under the Children Protection Act to stamp out “inappropriate behaviour” by students under 18 years old, the education minister said yesterday.

Adisai Bodharamik said he endorsed the drafts of two ministerial orders and two ministerial regulations to control student behaviour, the punishment of offenders and the appointment of manners monitors.

He said the regulations would cover nine types of inappropriate behaviour engaged in by students under 18 years old.

He said the inappropriate behaviour on the list were truancy, gambling, possession of weapons, consumption of alcohol, cigarettes or illicit drugs, extortion, quarrelling, amorous acts in a public, prostitution and night-time revelling.

Adisai, who is currently attending an international conference in Geneva, said offenders would face four levels of punishment, but they would not be suspended or dismissed from school.

Punishments would consist of verbal admonishment, probation, reduction in behaviour scores and mandatory participation in activities aimed at reforming behaviour.

The education minister also said manners monitors would be appointed to look for students acting inappropriately.

The monitors, who would be at least 25 years old with untainted records, would be expected to confront offending students and their parents.

--The Nation 2004-09-09

' imminently ' in Thai parlance means sometime in the future and/or at a time to be determined by a committee yet to be formed.

In other words, real soon now. :o

You caught on super fast Oven. You are obviously a person of great intellect with a great appreciation for the way Muang Thai works.

Wasn't this same basic thing announced as occurring imminently about six months ago...?

Same ages targeted with same offences. The only thing I detected new was the "manners monitors"... LOL .... what a job title. :o

Hey, since that isn't specifically on the list of banned occupations for foreigners and I meet the employment requirements, can I apply for the job? :D

Hey, since that isn't specifically on the list of banned occupations for foreigners and I meet the employment requirements, can I apply for the job?  :o

Go for it! Sounds like a real growth industry. No promise we can swing you a work permit though...

If I was a youth I would really be quaking in my boots about those punishments.................

I would be roaring with laughter.

Responsibility for behaviour has to come back to us, the parents.

I did not see any mention of that in the press report.

Edited by astral

Hey, since that isn't specifically on the list of banned occupations for foreigners and I meet the employment requirements, can I apply for the job?  :o

Go for it! Sounds like a real growth industry. No promise we can swing you a work permit though...

No work permit?... hmmm.. that's ok, that never stopped me before.....

For Any Immigration Officials Reading This Thread:

I'M KIDDING!!!