Thais Seek Ban On Hollywood Movie

george

Thais seek ban on Hollywood movie seen to be insulting to Buddha

BANGKOK: -- Lawmakers in predominantly Buddhist Thailand expressed outrage Wednesday over a new U.S. film whose advertisement shows a man seated on the head of a Buddha statue.

The movie, Hollywood Buddha, made by independent filmmaker Philippe Caland, is to be released in a few theaters in California on Sept. 24.

But its promotional art, shown on several Web sites, has set off a storm of protests, with many Thais posting criticisms of Caland - who directs and stars in the film - on Internet message boards.

According to Thai belief, touching the head - the most sacred part of the body - is considered highly offensive.

The Thai Parliament's House Committee on Religious Affairs and the country's Buddhist Affairs Department joined the fray on Wednesday, urging Caland to review his actions.

"The house committee is demanding that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs seek clarification from the filmmaker,'' said Wichai Chaiwanitchakul, the panel chief.

"The committee will also urge the film board to ban this movie from showing in Thailand,'' he told reporters.

The director general of Thailand's Buddhist Religion affairs, police Col. Udom Charoen, said he has requested the foreign ministry to lodge an official protest and to ask Caland to review his poster.

"I think the filmmaker will realize that such an action will only damage his business. How will Christians feel if people from other religions sit on the head of Jesus Christ,'' Udom said.

"Hollywood Buddha'' is about a struggling Hollywood producer who rents a Buddha statue at the behest of a Buddhist friend who believes it will bring him luck in reviving an un-saleable feature film.

Caland, who produced, directed, wrote and acted in the movie, has produced three other movies. Hollywood Buddha won the Best Picture and Best Director awards this year at the Taos Vision Quest International Film Festival in Taos, New Mexico.

On Wednesday, a Yahoo message board about the film was awash with protests.

"If you did this to any other religion it would be an outrage. As it is, many Buddhists are unhappy with you. We would like you to acknowledge that the content of the movie is false, and apologize to Buddhists around the world,'' said one message signed by a Sri Lankan identified as Thiwankaw.

"Please stop disgracing Lord Buddha and his teachings, the greatest ever born on earth. This is crime,'' said another posting.

-AP 2004-09-09

The director general of Thailand's Buddhist Religion affairs, police Col. Udom Charoen, said he has requested the foreign ministry to lodge an official protest and to ask Caland to review his poster.

"I think the filmmaker will realize that such an action will only damage his business. How will Christians feel if people from other religions sit on the head of Jesus Christ,'' Udom said.

Obviously Mr. Charoen has never seen certain episodes of "South Park" :D

Maybe that's a good thing... :o

Obviously this writer does not know America or Hollywood. The more controversial a movie becomes the more money it makes. Loud complaining only provides free advertising. Thai people should just ignore any crap coming out of Hollywood. The more they point to it, the more people might be interested in seeing it.

There have been many movies that disparaged Jesus Christ. The more vocal the Christian groups became the more money the movie made. Trying to call for a ban only makes people more interested in finding out what all the fuss is about.

The movie "The Last Temptation of Christ" made ten times as much money as it would have otherwise because so many Christian groups were calling for its ban, saying that it demeaned Jesus.

If something offends you, as long as it isn't causing serious harm, just ignore it. It will go away faster.

Maybe the announcement is just PR by the movie maker to create free advertising.

Obviously this writer does not know America or Hollywood. The more controversial a movie becomes the more money it makes. Loud complaining only provides free advertising. Thai people should just ignore any crap coming out of Hollywood. The more they point to it, the more people might be interested in seeing it.

There have been many movies that disparaged Jesus Christ. The more vocal the Christian groups became the more money the movie made. Trying to call for a ban only makes people more interested in finding out what all the fuss is about.

The movie "The Last Temptation of Christ" made ten times as much money as it would have otherwise because so many Christian groups were calling for its ban, saying that it demeaned Jesus.

If something offends you, as long as it isn't causing serious harm, just ignore it. It will go away faster.

Maybe the announcement is just PR by the movie maker to create free advertising.

absolutely correct, if they were smart just keep quiet and the movies will just fade away, further more the movies might suck and nobody want to see it, the bigger you make it, the more you talk about it, the more $$$million he will make, simple as that. you can ban it from thai screen, the more thai will want to see it.

Very understandable reaction. I see "moviecentre.net" have removed the image. To quote my Thai g/f: "<deleted>.ck that!  :o ".

RDN,Have you seen the Tango ads in the UK,My partner freaks out on them :D

Er, yes I have - a bit daft weren't they? "You've been Tango'd!" was the silly catchphrase, and some bloke with a big orange rubbery hand rubbing it in someone else's face, I remember. I think I used to reach for the remote control when those adverts came on.

OK, so I'll ask the obvious question: what's that got to do with the image of someone sitting on Buddha's head? :D

QUOTE (george @ Thu 2004-09-09, 05:36:18)

Guess he's never watched "the life of brian then " :o , just saw a clip the other day.

The tango man is actually dressed as a Buddah if you look closely enough,and painted Orange,In the first advert he went around slapping the guy around the ears,and the tv regulations had so many complaints that it was banned,So they replaced it with the one where he kissed the guy instead,

In Los Buddahs are supposed to be respected.

My post was aimed at your thread and not the movie in general,but still had the same subject matter, Buddah,and your G/f wife making a comment,

Hope you can follow all of this :o

The tango man is actually dressed as a Buddah if you look closely enough,and painted Orange,In the first advert he went around slapping the guy around the ears,and the tv regulations had so many complaints that it was banned,So they replaced it with the one where he kissed the guy instead,

In Los Buddahs are supposed to be respected.

My post was aimed at your thread and not the movie in general,but still had the same subject matter, Buddah,and your G/f wife making a comment,

Hope you can follow all of this  :o

No problems - all crystal clear! But I never ever realised that he was supposed to be a Buddha! I remember him slapping the guy around the ears but not what he was dressed like. I definitely won't show the g/f that one!

• 2 weeks later...

What in Buddha´s name is a Pol. Colonel doing as head of Buddhist Religion Affairs.... That does not strike me as a very virtuos appointment (not to generalise....Of Course! :o )

• 1 month later...
Thais seek ban on Hollywood movie seen to be insulting to Buddha[/b.

According to Thai belief, touching the head - the most sacred part of the body - is considered highly offensive.

-AP 2004-09-09

If this is true, then I can show you about 2 million offences a day, all done by Thai people.

Fathers and Mothers who give their kids a good whack to the head if they don't listen.

also patting on the head as a means of praise.

this is modern Thailand if you didn't notice

-AP 2004-09-09

If this is true, then I can show you about 2 million offences a day, all done by Thai people.

Fathers and Mothers who give their kids a good whack to the head if they don't listen.

It's touching the head of someone of higher status that's frowned upon. A parent slapping or stroking a kid's head is considered quite OK, but Thais would never touch the head of an adult stranger without asking permission first (medical emergencies excepted of course). Sitting on the head of a Buddha, arguably occupyng the highest status level of all (at least for Buddhists), is pretty offensive to most Thai Buddhists. Two Mormon missionaries were deported from Thailand a decade or so ago when they had film processed showing one of them sitting atop a Buddha head in Ayuthaya.

OK for South Park, not OK for Thailand ....

-AP 2004-09-09

" ......I can show you about 2 million offences a day ..... " and that is without a shred of exaggeration. :o

"If you did this to any other religion it would be an outrage. As it is, many Buddhists are unhappy with you. We would like you to acknowledge that the content of the movie is false, and apologize to Buddhists around the world,'' said one message signed by a Sri Lankan identified as Thiwankaw.

-AP 2004-09-09

Is it just me or is this guy's name just a tad off?

I wonder if his brother is named masterbaitor or phu ling phud perhaps.

:o

In all seriousness though I agree with respecting religion and beliefs.

-AP 2004-09-09

Is it just me or is this guy's name just a tad off?

I wonder if his brother is named masterbaitor or phu ling phud perhaps.

:o

In all seriousness though I agree with respecting religion and beliefs.

The younger brother is Master Bates. :D

-AP 2004-09-09

It's touching the head of someone of higher status that's frowned upon. A parent slapping or stroking a kid's head is considered quite OK, but Thais would never touch the head of an adult stranger without asking permission first (medical emergencies excepted of course). Sitting on the head of a Buddha, arguably occupyng the highest status level of all (at least for Buddhists), is pretty offensive to most Thai Buddhists. Two Mormon missionaries were deported from Thailand a decade or so ago when they had film processed showing one of them sitting atop a Buddha head in Ayuthaya.

OK for South Park, not OK for Thailand ....

South Park is a load of crap too - IMHO. Zero taste - just in your face vulgarity.

If those Mormon "missionarys" had a clue about what they were doing, they would have or should have realized the offense before sitting on Buddha's head... :o