An Airbus For Thaksin

p_brownstone

Guess who's got his own 'stealth jet

jet04-060149.jpg

BANGKOK: -- It arrived in Thailand undetected.

No-one in the government has breathed a word about it.

And although the media have dubbed it 'Air Force One', opposition MPs feel the newly-acquired Airbus for Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his Cabinet should be named 'Stealth'.

The plane - specially equipped with extra interior features - cost taxpayers more than 1 billion baht.

It arrived on Aug 25, but the government has not publicised it - highly unusual for such a high-profile and expensive state acquisition, reported The Nation.

Mr Thaksin will use the Airbus for the first time during the Asia-Europe Meeting in Vietnam, from Oct 6 to 8.

'The quiet arrival of the Airbus is easy to explain,' said Mr Piraphan Salirattavipak, a Democrat MP for Bangkok.

'The prime minister wants the plane, but he doesn't want to get scolded.

'He must have known there's nothing appropriate about this aircraft.'

Already, the purchase of the plane has caused a major controversy. Critics have questioned the need for Mr Thaksin to join what they call a small, elitist group of world leaders who have a personal plane.

The secrecy surrounding the plane's arrival coincided with the home stretch of the Bangkok Governor's election.

The last two weeks of the race saw government-backed candidate Pavena Hongsakul' popularity fall drastically.

Political analysts said this was due to her association with Mr Thaksin, whose support among voters in the capital appears to be falling fast.

The opposition MPs plan to raise questions in parliament next week about the purchase of the plane.

They insist he and his Cabinet could easily use a commercial plane for foreign trips.

--Asia1.com, Agencies 2004-09-09

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/top/story/0,4...4399940,00.html

----

I have seen no reports on this either in this Forum or in the Bangkok Post

The Nation had the story for a few days but it did not do any follw up.

Amazing Thailand

Edited by george

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But this is not Toxin's (yet).

It is for the Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers to use.

So after the next elections it may be someone completely different?

Why not do as the UK - put it under Royal Air Force control?

As far as I know (which is not over-much :D ) only Dubya and various petty dictators have their own private jets - and even Dubya will probably lose the use of Air Force One at the end of this year. :o

First he said the Thai people should save fuel. So what the bell is he doing?

Close the stores early so he can fly in a private huge Jet to his gas guzzling parties?

When will the Thai people get rid of this TOXIC mess once and for all!

Wake up Thailand before he destroys the whole country!

Down with Toxic Toxin, NOW!

Nice photo (of Taksin !). I'd probably look pretty ###### happy too if I got a private jet :o

I can sort of understand this one though...didn't someone blow a Thai airways jet in half at Don Meung a few years back that Taksin was scheduled to fly on ? I'd be a bit nervous about public transport too...

(Not a Taskin supporter, by the way)

Thai Airforce 21 Picture

Its a beautiful plane, Airbus A319 Corporate Jet. It belongs to the RTAF , not the PM. What is all the fuss about ?

Thai flag on the tail fin but no RTAF markings - indicates CIVIL registration

What's the odds he takes it as a "loyalty bonus" when he leaves office?

Especially if he does as planned ..... win next election and retire in 2006

Aren't you people familiar with the "Karma" phenomenon ? ? Just let him have his little plane; no problem . . . . then just hope one day he'll load-up with a lot of his "Yes-Men" corruptian-cronies and take it for a spin . . . . . Let's face it; it's an Airbus, which means it's French . . . . . how much help do you reckon Karma needs ? ? ? Of course we sincerely hope nothing bad will happen to them . . . . . Daaaaaaaah

One Billion Baht, you say ? Ought to be deeply ashamed of himself for even thinking the thought !

PS: Did anyone out there ever saw the correlation between the explosive expansion of the 7-11 chain on the one hand-, and the new "voluntary" large store-closing law ? ? ? I'll bet that new plane-owner could pay for his plane out of the first years "proceeds", what do you chaps think ? ? ? ?

Anybody recall that THAI 737 that mysteriously self-destructed on the tarmac at Don Muang shortly after Mr. Big became Prime Minister and a mere hour or so prior to Thaksin and son boarding said plane to go to Chiang Mai? Maybe this purchase is a (somewhat delayed) reaction to that incident and the consensus is that the PM should not fly commercial whenever possible?

By the way - Was there ever a plausible explanation offered for what happened to that 737?

Wow, a private jet. Not really, if the tax payers paid for it, that makes it a public jet! Gee dad, can I borrow the keys?!

I say let him have it. With sliding popularity he may have to make a quick exit to Manchester for the new season try outs. But he has to fill up before 10pm!

With those unique markings, it will be the only one like that in the air. Some rocket-launcher-toting-wounded-but-not-dead drug lord may have a score to settle! ...Maybe better change the paint job after all! :o

Someone thought only W and some petty dictators have their own plane. Not so. We have VIP planes in the Australian Air Force fleet for the same purpose and we are certainly not alone in that. It is not unreasonable for a government to acquire them considering security and efficiency issues so long as they are available for all in the pecking order when not required at the top and used sensibly.

It is no different in principle to having official cars but of course much more expensive. The cost has to be seen in light of those two issues though (security and efficiency) and in the way they are utilised. It is also important to recognise the need for secure communication with senior ministers in these days when major crises can hit and require action in a short time. Government VIP aircraft allow those facilities to be provided.

The one that exploded at Don Muang was stated shortly after the event to have been caused by running the air conditioning system incorrectly - I have not seen any other explanations reported.

Anybody recall that THAI 737 that mysteriously self-destructed on the tarmac at Don Muang shortly after Mr. Big became Prime Minister and a mere hour or so prior to Thaksin and son boarding said plane to go to Chiang Mai? Maybe this purchase is a (somewhat delayed) reaction to that incident and the consensus is that the PM should not fly commercial whenever possible?

By the way - Was there ever a plausible explanation offered for what happened to that 737?

Explanation!!?? you gotta be joking.

They haven't explained yet what happened to the THAI plane that put down at Surat Thani around 5-6 years back with over a hundred lives lost in the process.

Why? because they didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings :o

If these things weren't so serious it would be a joke.

Guess it would be easier to list countries that do not provide the service to their leaders.

Germany has a couple of planes, airbuses, under the national colors and the contry's name BUNDESREPUBLIK DEUTSCHLAND. (not Airforce 1)

Japan comes to my mind, France.

Actually, I do not mind this. The planes in most countries belong to the airforce, while providing the pilots with required airtime as well. Germany's former leader, Mr. Kohl, hat his WC refurbished to adjust to his big bum :o

Schroeder run out of planes during the football world champion ship. While Germany was in the finals, unexpectedly, the demand for government owned planes rose and finally Schroeder had no plane left. He was invited to join Japan's Koizumi, I believe.

Thaksin's pre-decessor used a smaller airforce plae, which looked a bit shabby, but in fact used two planes for security.

G.W.B. was in Bangkok with two identical Airforce 1 - planes (747), believe as well for security reasons, you don't know in which HE is.

Hurray!

Maybe now all those annoying "VIP" MP's will stop taking up all the good seats in business class.

For some reason they always get on the same plane as me :o

They always travel in groups of 10 to 20, causing a major nuisance to other travelers. I am all for a private plane!

Anybody recall that THAI 737 that mysteriously self-destructed on the tarmac at Don Muang shortly after Mr. Big became Prime Minister and a mere hour or so prior to Thaksin and son boarding said plane to go to Chiang Mai? ....

And he was very upset that it was not a bomb.

The last I heard, air con running against standard operation rules, while the plane was on the ground.

Seems fumes in an empty center-tank caused an explosion.

Thai Airforce 21 Picture

Its a beautiful plane, Airbus A319 Corporate Jet.  It belongs to the RTAF , not the PM.  What is all the fuss about ?

Thai flag on the tail fin but no RTAF markings - indicates CIVIL registration

What's the odds he takes it as a "loyalty bonus" when he leaves office?

Especially if he does as planned ..... win next election and retire in 2006

In the photo you can clearly see a civil registration number beginning HS-. All civil aircraft in Thailand have such registration numbers, HS- being Thailand's code issued by the international aviation authorities. Military aircraft have their own registration numbering systems which are entirely up to the country itself to apply, but they are always completely different from the civil system.

I have seen no reports on this either in this Forum or in the Bangkok Post

I've mentioned it on three separate occasions on three different threads.

If anyone thinks this jet is for anyone besides Thaksin, I've got partial ownership of an English Premier League team for them to buy.

The Nation is the only paper with "guts" anymore, that's why the Bangkok Post has kept quiet.

a) 'intoxicated' Thailand Losing Billions to Lottery

Posted on: Wed 2004-09-08, 23:50:18

...or his new personal jet, bought for 1.1 Billion Baht

:o Govt Hopes To Send First Thai Into Space

Posted on: Mon 2004-09-06, 08:12:34

1. I do think Thaksin loves his country, but unfortunately he clearly loves himself, his money, and his cronies more.

2. I do think Thaksin wants Thailand to be strong, just so long as it doesn't conflict with Shin Satellite, A.I.S., AirAsia, ITV, etc. being the strongest companies in their respective fields.

3. If Thaksin doesn't want his country to suffer from poverty, he has a strange way of showing after squandering a B(with a b)illion plus tax-payer baht on his ego-boosting airplane

c) Thailand To Bid For 2016 Games?

Posted on: Sat 2004-09-04, 09:59:15

If there is ever an Olympic event for money squandering, Thaksin is assured of a gold medal:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/page.news....ess=1&id=120197

How soon before he gets his very own Government Helicopter? :o

I think a VIP helicopter would be a great idea.....It would relieve us of these tedious VIP motocades that roam the highways and byways.....and I thought he was serious about his promise to relieve traffic congestion.....silly me :D

It's not unusual to have your own jet if you have the money to buy one but was this acquisition paid by the Thai people?

If so it must be given to some form of government agency for it to be looked after(like the air force) and can be used for legitimate government use only not for private hoohahs etc.

Must be nice to use the country's funds so easily in buying one of these birds!!