Expats On Koh Chang

Rango

Hi Guys.

Just wondering how big the expat community is on Koh Chang. I have been hanging around in Phuket for quite sometime and I am getting a bit burned out on it frankly.

I'd like to go someplace a little more remote but still be able to find some permanently residing mates to hang out with.

any comments on the white-guy/gal community would be appreciated. :o

Thx.

Different from most islands because there are very few houses here, therefore very few people living here that dont have some business of one kind or another. In Phuket, for example, there are thousands of retirees and folks who visit for a few month a year, rent a house or buy second homes on the island. Koh Chang doesn't have this yet - only two large housing development sand neither will be complete for a couple of years or more.

Actually that makes KC sound really bad. The island itself is beautiful and mostly unspoilt for the moment. As far as living there goes, i personally wouldn't recomend it. If you want the bar life then fine, because thats all there is. The beaches are great but even that becomes a little boring after a while when you have lived there. For a holiday i think it is a fantastic place if you want to relax, but thats as for as it goes.

Edited by TommyGun

Agree (almost) with TommyGun. KC used to be a great place - the locals friendly and life went by at a snail's pace - great for a relaxing vacation! Lately, it seems that the Isaan people have moved in big style and things have generally deteriorated (no offence meant!) - but there are just too many new but empty/failing shops and buildings - some of them are just plain ugly. Construction is going on in many areas and much of the "old style" has disappeared, to be replaced by concrete monsters everywhere. Personally, I can't fathom why the island is being ruined in this way - and there sure ain't many tourists around in the low-end of the year. Last time we went there (a few months back) we stayed at a resort - we were the only ones there most of our stay. We don't go in the busy(?) season any longer, as the prices everywhere are screwed upwards beyond belief. The bars are okay, but nothing like Patt or Phuk (is that "puke"?). But, yeah, there are still some great areas away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist traps. Power fallouts are pretty common and the roads could do with a big repair job, but it's possible to get around without too much bother. To live there? Absolutely no way!

Tourism has been dead this year, and the poeple that have been there for 4 years are so say it's getting quiter every year. I owned a bar for a year, which is odd as im tea total, however the area has been dead. I returned after closing my bar for the rainy season and was shocked at how many new bars and shops had been built in my area. The only bars and restaurants that seem to survive are the one that get locals in, farang locals, and that have been there for a while. I decided it wasn't for me and gave it up and i'm much happier for it. I'll go back for a trip but i wouldn't recommend anyone opening a business there unless they do some serious research first.

Yep, lots of people complaining about how quiet it is. However, the number of people visiting is increasing. Problem is that the number of small bars, t-shirt shops and internet cafes are increasing at an exponential rate - rather than gradually. Therefore, an average shop takes less money. The business people who win are those who are doing something a bit different or have a unique skill / product that cant easily be duplicated by a person renting a neighbouring shop unit.

Spot on Changian. There are more visitors but they are being divided over a greater number of businesses due to the "gold rush" pace of development.

I would guess that there are about 1,000 expats on the island.

Got to disagree with you. I have been looking for somewhere to build in Thailand for 10 years and the East Coast of Koh Chang is still unspoilt and will remain so for many years to come and offers fantastic value for money compared to Phuket or Samui. Although I agree that Whitesands and the West Coast has become very overdeveloped. I have almost completed the house on the Oceanfront and there are a few farangs also building on that side of the Island although the overall Farang community is only a 100 or so in size.

I keep meaning to stop and see how our house is going. But also agree 1000 is way to high for number of expats - a couple of hundred at the most, less if you count people who dont disappear from June - October. East coast will stay quiet for a long time to come - same as east coast of Phuket, all the tourism on the west coast of the island. Good location for a quiet house, pretty crap for a business of any kind.

People have been underestimating the population of Koh Chang, both foreign and expat, for many years now. For expats you have to include the part timers who are only here for part of the year since so many people leave during the monsoon. If you do then you're in the high hundreds no question.

Got to disagree with you. I have been looking for somewhere to build in Thailand for 10 years and the East Coast of Koh Chang is still unspoilt and will remain so for many years to come and offers fantastic value for money compared to Phuket or Samui. Although I agree that Whitesands and the West Coast has become very overdeveloped. I have almost completed the house on the Oceanfront and there are a few farangs also building on that side of the Island although the overall Farang community is only a 100 or so in size.

After being a realestate man for 10 years in Samui i can only agree. Samui and phuket prices have gone in the roof completely. Both of these islands are already overderveloped and still they keep building new hotels/resorts every year. I left Samui a year ago for hua hin. Im still looking around for new realestate projects and i have a serious good eye for koh chang. I agree that it will take long time before the eastcost reach overdevelopment, allthough my experience say that day will come sooner or later.

Easer

After being a realestate man for 10 years in Samui i can only agree. Samui and phuket prices have gone in the roof completely. Both of these islands are already overderveloped and still they keep building new hotels/resorts every year. I left Samui a year ago for hua hin. Im still looking around for new realestate projects and i have a serious good eye for koh chang. I agree that it will take long time before the eastcost reach overdevelopment, allthough my experience say that day will come sooner or later.

Easer

Hi Easer,

I dont now why the real estate market has been so slow to take off on Koh Chang although Im glad it is the case. With the close proximity to Bangkok and the great flight to Trat it makes a good weekend retreat from Bangkok. Prices are typically about 4million per rai on the east coast with ocean front land.

• 4 weeks later...
Yep, lots of people complaining about how quiet it is. However, the number of people visiting is increasing. Problem is that the number of small bars, t-shirt shops and internet cafes are increasing at an exponential rate - rather than gradually. Therefore, an average shop takes less money. The business people who win are those who are doing something a bit different or have a unique skill / product that cant easily be duplicated by a person renting a neighbouring shop unit.

the people who makethe money are the ones who rent the property out......they don't care if the tenant makes any money, and they know as soon as he gives up and goes, another punter will take his place.

If you've been looking for 10 years why haven't you found one???

the main difference between Phuket and Samui on one hand and Koh chang on the other is that KC has no infrastructure at all, whereas both the other islands have roads that criss-cross the place, towns access and to a greater or lesser extent, sewerage systems. They also have a totally different land ownership situation.

If you've been looking for 10 years why haven't you found one???

He has . . . Koh Chang

+++

Another 50 or so shophouses will begoing up in Klong Prao soon. But starting to see more unoccupied roadside shop units in the locations that are cheap but have very few tourists passing by.

Purchased the land 2 years ago and the house is almost finished. I have used a local builder and architect who have kept to budget. There are great opportunities on Koh Chang with some great plots of land and good builders/architects etc. You get far more for your money than on Samui or Phuket. A good place to look for land is www.iamkohchang.com Ian is very knowledgeable and can point you in the right direction.

I'd also be interested in the architect...as yet I haven't seen any evidence of "architects" on KC....most appear to be concrete merchants with little or no architectural training and respect for the environment.

go look round dusit hotel, that should give ya some nice ideas its all new and not too concrete!

chris

For a good local architect see www.52islands.com- they did The Spa, Salakkok & Aana Resort - both nice places where you don't notice the concrete. But usually the architect designs what the client wants - any clients often want crap shophouses or soulless hotel blocks rather than anything original.

I'm sorry but these are little more than "decorated sheds" (thank you Venturi)

What you are looking at are exercises in interior decoration with a couple of postmodern signifiers thrown in for good luk.

This is NOT architecture it is just building work with a bit of decor.

• 2 weeks later...

Where did anyone get the idea from that it's becoming more quiet?

It's very bussy in high season and now Treehouse have their second spot on Long beach it will become more bussy at the lovely and still quiet part of the island!

In low season it is very quiet, who wants to be on an island in the moesonrain?

Can't tell me that it's that bussy on any island ...

I wish it was a bit more quiet sometimes, although the big difference between KC and the islands in the south is that there is not as much violence yet...

I love it there, although White sand became a Spanish costa over the years, keep away if ou dont want to be stuck with families and expensive resorts.

• 2 months later...

Most expats, are western women living with Thai Bf/Hubbie running bars/bungalows [not that there are many!]

Especially around Whitesand/Lonelybeach, after Bangbao this season lots o Hippies [yep the long haired ones who camp in tents at the sea, play guitar, eat self catched fish and run around naked...] never seen them there before :o

• 3 weeks later...

dam_n you must've been blind, I'll send them your way next time and believe me its not naked women its more wales that wash up on the shore, last time I checked I was about to call Greenpeace!

Really??? Well there goes the neighborhood if we don't get rid of those fukkin hippies...ROFLMAO :D:D:D

Dude I've been livin' here 6 years and ain't seen no naked white chicks swimmin' down south :o

Edited by DaoDao

• 4 weeks later...

OP I don't think you are going to find an expat 'community' who hangs out an plays cricket together on KC. The ones I met are busy with their Thai families and businesses.

As for the post about the East Coast , there are reasons it's cheap. It's a ribbon of road between jungle and rocky, unusable, waterfront. It would be okay for someone who wants to adopt a Thai lifestyle and diet; and someone who doesn't need amenities, like shopping centres.

The quaint fishing village at the end of the road is interesting. It's not what the OP had in mind.

If waterfront is all you want, no matter how crappy it is, check the mainland. At least a person would have a choice of a boat trip to Ko Chang or a drive to the interesting city of Trat.

There is 'waterfront' all along the coastline to Cambodia.