BANGKOK 23 March 2019 22:16
Sign in to follow this  
Rango

Expats On Koh Chang

Got to disagree with you. I have been looking for somewhere to build in Thailand for 10 years and the East Coast of Koh Chang is still unspoilt and will remain so for many years to come and offers fantastic value for money compared to Phuket or Samui. Although I agree that Whitesands and the West Coast has become very overdeveloped. I have almost completed the house on the Oceanfront and there are a few farangs also building on that side of the Island although the overall Farang community is only a 100 or so in size.

If you've been looking for 10 years why haven't you found one???

the main difference between Phuket and Samui on one hand and Koh chang on the other is that KC has no infrastructure at all, whereas both the other islands have roads that criss-cross the place, towns access and to a greater or lesser extent, sewerage systems. They also have a totally different land ownership situation.

If you've been looking for 10 years why haven't you found one???

He has . . . Koh Chang

+++

Another 50 or so shophouses will begoing up in Klong Prao soon. But starting to see more unoccupied roadside shop units in the locations that are cheap but have very few tourists passing by.

Purchased the land 2 years ago and the house is almost finished. I have used a local builder and architect who have kept to budget. There are great opportunities on Koh Chang with some great plots of land and good builders/architects etc. You get far more for your money than on Samui or Phuket. A good place to look for land is www.iamkohchang.com Ian is very knowledgeable and can point you in the right direction.

I'd also be interested in the architect...as yet I haven't seen any evidence of "architects" on KC....most appear to be concrete merchants with little or no architectural training and respect for the environment.

I'd also be interested in the architect...as yet I haven't seen any evidence of "architects" on KC....most appear to be concrete merchants with little or no architectural training and respect for the environment.

go look round dusit hotel, that should give ya some nice ideas its all new and not too concrete!

chris

For a good local architect see www.52islands.com- they did The Spa, Salakkok & Aana Resort - both nice places where you don't notice the concrete. But usually the architect designs what the client wants - any clients often want crap shophouses or soulless hotel blocks rather than anything original.

I'm sorry but these are little more than "decorated sheds" (thank you Venturi)

What you are looking at are exercises in interior decoration with a couple of postmodern signifiers thrown in for good luk.

This is NOT architecture it is just building work with a bit of decor.

Where did anyone get the idea from that it's becoming more quiet?

It's very bussy in high season and now Treehouse have their second spot on Long beach it will become more bussy at the lovely and still quiet part of the island!

In low season it is very quiet, who wants to be on an island in the moesonrain?

Can't tell me that it's that bussy on any island ...

I wish it was a bit more quiet sometimes, although the big difference between KC and the islands in the south is that there is not as much violence yet...

I love it there, although White sand became a Spanish costa over the years, keep away if ou dont want to be stuck with families and expensive resorts.

Most expats, are western women living with Thai Bf/Hubbie running bars/bungalows [not that there are many!]

Especially around Whitesand/Lonelybeach, after Bangbao this season lots o Hippies [yep the long haired ones who camp in tents at the sea, play guitar, eat self catched fish and run around naked...] never seen them there before :o

Really??? Well there goes the neighborhood if we don't get rid of those fukkin hippies...ROFLMAO :D:D:D

Dude I've been livin' here 6 years and ain't seen no naked white chicks swimmin' down south :o

dam_n you must've been blind, I'll send them your way next time and believe me its not naked women its more wales that wash up on the shore, last time I checked I was about to call Greenpeace!

Really??? Well there goes the neighborhood if we don't get rid of those fukkin hippies...ROFLMAO :D:D:D

Dude I've been livin' here 6 years and ain't seen no naked white chicks swimmin' down south :o

Edited by DaoDao

OP I don't think you are going to find an expat 'community' who hangs out an plays cricket together on KC. The ones I met are busy with their Thai families and businesses.

As for the post about the East Coast , there are reasons it's cheap. It's a ribbon of road between jungle and rocky, unusable, waterfront. It would be okay for someone who wants to adopt a Thai lifestyle and diet; and someone who doesn't need amenities, like shopping centres.

The quaint fishing village at the end of the road is interesting. It's not what the OP had in mind.

If waterfront is all you want, no matter how crappy it is, check the mainland. At least a person would have a choice of a boat trip to Ko Chang or a drive to the interesting city of Trat.

There is 'waterfront' all along the coastline to Cambodia.