The Tattoo Thread - Western Names In Thai Script

meadish_sweetball

Since we get an increasing amount of requests about tattoos and how to transcribe names into Thai script, we thought it would be a good idea to gather these queries in one and the same thread (special thanks to mangkorn for the original suggestion).

There is already a fair bit of information on this subject scattered over Thaivisa. We will try to link to the most informative threads and posts here as well.

If you have any suggestions, please don't hesitate to PM me or another Thaivisa moderator.

:o

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I remember a gal back in college who thought she had her name written in Chinese characters on the small of her back. When we saw it, we had to tell her nope, what she got was *turtle-storm-woman* :o

And just in case anyone changes their mind after the fact or mispells something.... I recommend Dr. Chanokpon at Yanhee Hospital. She's a whiz with their Nd-Yag laser.

:D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
hey, I am probably going to bkk again in july and after getting a tattoo over there last time, i am thinking of getting my name in thai this time. Can you tell me how to write my name "Steven" in Thai please??

สตีเฟน

P.S. i just stole someone's job hhehehe sorry

hey, I am probably going to bkk again in july and after getting a tattoo over there last time, i am thinking of getting my name in thai this time. Can you tell me how to write my name "Steven" in Thai please??

สตีเฟน

สตีเฟน

Would สตีเว่น be a more accurate transcription of "Steven"

And สตีเฟน/สตีเฟ่น "Stephen" ?

สตีเฟน

Would สตีเว่น be a more accurate transcription of "Steven"

And สตีเฟน/สตีเฟ่น "Stephen" ?

thai borrowed the ฟ from Eng language from the F and V

but most of us do pronouce it with the ว for the V

and with the ไม้เอก we dont have to use it since it's from English, but for sure you can put it on

well just choose one u like for yr tattoo ... or all of them hahahahah

Great thread! And, what about "Shaun"?

ฌอน

I see from another thread that the company "Shell" (เชลล์) use as their 'sh' sound and not . Both characters are more a 'ch' as in 'chips' sound than 'sh' as in 'fish' (or indeed Shaun!). Given that ชอน is probably not a good word to have tattooed :o how about ชอร์น

I know this must be asked a million times or more times, but can someone help me get a Thai translate for a potential tattoo. I want to get the words "established" and "born", with the numbers “1978” and “1983”. I know the Thai's use the English numeric numbers these days, but does anyone know what the numbers 1983 and 1978 look like in Thai?

Cheers heaps,

I know this must be asked a million times or more times, but can someone help me get a Thai translate for a potential tattoo. I want to get the words "established" and "born", with the numbers “1978” and “1983”. I know the Thai's use the English numeric numbers these days, but does anyone know what the numbers 1983 and 1978 look like in Thai?

Cheers heaps,

1978 = ๑๙๗๘

1983 = ๑๙๘๓

I'm guessing you just need the numerals or did you want the translations too?

AjarnP

• Like 1

Cheers heaps,

1978 = ๑๙๗๘

1983 = ๑๙๘๓

AjarnP

Yeah cheers for that AjarnP. Now to get the words "established" as well as "born" translated.

Thanks again.

I know this must be asked a million times or more times, but can someone help me get a Thai translate for a potential tattoo. I want to get the words "established" and "born", with the numbers "1978" and "1983". I know the Thai's use the English numeric numbers these days, but does anyone know what the numbers 1983 and 1978 look like in Thai?

Cheers heaps,

1978 = ๑๙๗๘

1983 = ๑๙๘๓

AjarnP

[Are you certain that the poster wants the AD date, rather than the BE date?]

Edited by DavidHouston

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Its not my name i want to get in thai but the following words-

Love

Trust

Guardian angel

I understand that there may not be a literal translation for guardian angel, bit i want something that means a guardian spoirit that watches over and protects you.

I have done some reseach- but im a little confused as i know there are lots of different words with different meanings! Just want to make sure i get the correct ones

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

Love - ความรัก

Trust - ความชื่อ

Guardian angel - เทพารักษ์

I understand that there may not be a literal translation for guardian angel, bit i want something that means a guardian spoirit that watches over and protects you.

I have done some reseach- but im a little confused as i know there are lots of different words with different meanings! Just want to make sure i get the correct ones

Thanks!

Like you said there are many ways to translate these words. I would wait to hear other peoples opinions before you go ahead with any tattoos. :o

Hi everyone!

Love

Trust

Guardian angel

Thanks!

Love = รัก

Trust = I'd go with เชื่อใจ but one might make a case for ไว้ใจ or ศรัทธา among a few others

Guardian angel = There are many different ways you could go with this. I prefer (เทวดา)อารักษ์ (with or without เทวดา and written either before or after อารักษ์). You might also explore พระภูมี, or เจ้าพ่อ/เจ้าแม่