The Tattoo Thread - Western Names In Thai Script

meadish_sweetball

I agree this is a good thread, a similar topic I posted a while ago saved me from public humilation, i wanted the word brother (for m little borthers) but I learnt it was thai slang for the word penis :o good job i checked.

Ive since settled for a latiin word on my wrist :D

Hi,

I already have one daughters name in Thai tattooed on my arm (Ella May), was done by Ugly in Chiang Mai (excellent !)

A few years later I now have another daughter and would like to have her name translated into Thai also so I can get another one done.

So, could anyone please help me out and give me a translation for ' Mia Lucie ' pronounced - MeAh Lu Si

Thanks in advance ! very much appreciated !

Bruce. :o

Hi,

I already have one daughters name in Thai tattooed on my arm (Ella May), was done by Ugly in Chiang Mai (excellent !)

A few years later I now have another daughter and would like to have her name translated into Thai also so I can get another one done.

So, could anyone please help me out and give me a translation for ' Mia Lucie ' pronounced - MeAh Lu Si

Litterally translated it gives เมีย ลูสี . The term Mia has a few meanings in Thai. " tua mia" means female dog. "mia noy" is mistress. I am learning Thai so I could be wrong,double check on my translation.

Hi,

Litterally translated it gives เมีย ลูสี . The term Mia has a few meanings in Thai. " tua mia" means female dog. "mia noy" is mistress. I am learning Thai so I could be wrong,double check on my translation.

mangotodo has the simplest transcription of the name. เมีย-Mia/MeAh by itself simply means wife. However, if you want to avoid that you could add a tone marker: เมี่ย for MeAh with a falling tone or เมี้ย with a high tone low or rising tones could also be produced but I guess I would go with either high or falling. None of which carry any meanings that I know of.

Another route to go would be to go with a transcription that accentuates the Ah, of MeAh more, I'm not a linguist so I don't know how to describe it but I guess the above is a more blended vowel sound of the Me and Ah essentially making it one syllable. Whereas มีอา would accentuate each vowel sound making two syllables. This spelling of Me and Ah would give you "I have an uncle." Actually with the Me part we could go a lot of fun ways. If your daughter is noisy and boisterous we could use มี่ (falling tone), or หมี (rising tone) for bear (the animal), หมี่ (low tone) rice noodle. Or again to avoid other meanings just use มี้ (high tone). Then for the อา part to avoid the meaning uncle or any others we could use อ๋า, which gives it a high tone, Thais love to end English names on a high tone anyway. So if she is noisy sometimes how about:

มี่อ๋า

Now for Lucie mangotodo's suggestion is fine: ลูสี. ลู doesn't carry a meaning and สี is color. Lucy is usually written in Thai as ลูซี่ (as in Lucy of the chronicles of Narnia or Lucy Liu)

After all those many (probably too many) words, I would suggest either:

มี่อ๋า ลูซี่

or

เมี้ย ลูซี่

Hi - please please please can you tell me what this tattoo says / means? it may save laser surgery in the future!

pic attached.

thanks so much

Hi mel,

The first word is น้ำใจ namJai = Kindness

The second word is พ่อ paw = Father

Hi - please please please can you tell me what this tattoo says / means? it may save laser surgery in the future!

pic attached.

thanks so much

Hi mel,

The first word is น้ำใจ namJai = Kindness

The second word is พ่อ paw = Father

Thats fantastic - thanks for your reply. off to the tattooist today, so very timely!

Cheers :o

Hi,

I'd like to get the words 'footsteps of life' in thai script vertically tattooed........ can anyone help? :o

I think you didn't get any responses last time because this is a tricky one and it would be helpful to get some more information from you. What do you want to say by "footsteps of life?" A direct translation might sound silly. การก้าวของชีวิต with a little background something much more suitable could be found. Also Thai script really doesn't lend itself to vertical writing. It's a left to right language but unlike English that could still be read nicely vertically the forced position of vowels above, below, to the left or to the right of their consonant restricts vertical writing in Thai.

Hi,

I'd like to get the words 'footsteps of life' in thai script vertically tattooed........ can anyone help? :o

I think you didn't get any responses last time because this is a tricky one and it would be helpful to get some more information from you. What do you want to say by "footsteps of life?" A direct translation might sound silly. การก้าวของชีวิต with a little background something much more suitable could be found. Also Thai script really doesn't lend itself to vertical writing. It's a left to right language but unlike English that could still be read nicely vertically the forced position of vowels above, below, to the left or to the right of their consonant restricts vertical writing in Thai.

CSS,

Thanks for info. My Grandfather used to always say to me..... 'everything in life will be fine, so long as you follow the footsteps'! The words 'footsteps of life' has stayed with me and is something I've always said to myself too! Thanks for clarifying the vertical part....... wasn't sure if it would work anyway!

Hope this helps and thanks for any help you can give. :D

After all those many (probably too many) words, I would suggest either:

มี่อ๋า ลูซี่

or

เมี้ย ลูซี่

I think both choices would look strange to Thai people's eyes.

Kristy - คริสตี้

'footsteps of life' - ก้าวย่างของชีวิต

hi fella's would be greatful if yous could translate my name into thai ...had it done before but when i checked it out with some one else they had spelt it wrong was lucky enough not to have it done wrong ...the closest ive came is conner

this is how my names spelt -connor

thanks in advance :o

Edited by themonk20

Hi, I'm new around here and I'd like to know if someone would be so kind to translate this words for me. I'm getting a tattoo and I don't want to end up with the wrong words.

I protect my family and my family protects me

and also

Beyond time.

Beyond space.

Beyond life.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and just for curiousity, my name: Javier

Hey guys

Firstly I would like to say that this is a fantastic thread and I am sure everyone appreciates you guys taking time out to translate for us.

I will be back in Thailand soon and I am looking to get my name and date of birth tattooed.

Name: Fraser

DOB: 12 12 1968 I would like to see this in thai numerals and thai years not AD

Cheers guys and keep up the good work :o

How about Richard please?

ริชาร์ด

My name is Richard, and I always spelt it as ริชชาด - For the last dozen years or so> That's also what on myt marriage certificate, so I'm stick with it. As a transliteration, I guess it depends where you put the emphasis and who transliterattes it. This wold be Rich-Chart, which sound right when a Thai says it.

Sanscrit sylables end in sala-I, but not Thai (other than borrowed words from what I understand) so the spelling abobe Ri-Cha(miss the RD) - would be pronounced Richah (the little symbol above the Ror Rua would cancel out the RD at the end).

Edited by wolf5370

Merangue said:
Can anyone translate the Name

Michael

Not for a Tattoo, i am just curious.

Cheers in advance :o

Thairath transliterate Michael as ไมเคิล when writing about the Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps.