The Tattoo Thread - Western Names In Thai Script

meadish_sweetball

Hi, anyone knows how to write name Rudi in thai letters.

Thanks for answer.

Rudi

I think I found it, is this correct:

รูดี

Rudi

55555 That would be good in Thai. รู means hole and ดี means good - a good hole!!! Transliterations can bring out some interesting hai words people, be careful!

Hi there,

I`m off to Samui in September and am thinking of getting another tattoo...can anyone tell me what WOLF would be?

Wolf = สุนัขบ้า as a translation - or possibly วูลฟ as a transliteration.

And What about LAN?

It's the same prononciation for the Lan of Local Area Network....

Thanks

Of course Lan means Million in Thai, so would be misconstrued if spelt: ล้าน - so you may want to แล็น

Hi all,

I hope someone can help.

A friend has asked me to translate the following names, as spelt and with the hyphen:

Katy-Paige 090702

Alfey-J 100208

Thanks in advance

Pesuming you want Thai numerics aswell:

Katy-Paige 090702 เคที-แพจ์ ๐๙๐๗๐ (I guess this is meant to be 9th July 2002? Thailand's year would be 2555 - so replace the last two numbers with ๕๕)

Alfey-J 100208 แอ็ลฟี-จ ๑๐๘ (Again I guess this to be 10th Feb 2008 - note that some people start the Thai new year in April, but officially it is 1st Jan now-a-days so it would be 2008=2551; last two numbers should then be )

Hi..this is a very helpful thread. I would love to get my twin son's and daughter's names translated/transcribed for a possible tattoo..

Dominic (pronounced Domanick)

Lucas

Daisha (pronounced Daysha)

Thank you in advance for all of your help.

I'll try:

Dom-a-nick - โดมอันิค

Loo-Kus - ลูคัซ์ (Sor Sow only can appear at the end of foreign loan words - it is the only real way to end in a 's' sound - most Thais will not pronounce it at all - other 's' letter will be pronounced 't' usually).

Daisha - เดชา (there is no 'sh' sound in Thai, only a 'ch' sound - so it will be pronouced Deh-Chah)

Edited by wolf5370

Sorry for stepping in, but if people want these translation to get tattooed, at least it should be something more reasonable than this.

สุนัขบ้า is mad dog.

Wolf - หมาป่า(translation), วูล์ฟ (transliteration)

And What about LAN?

LAN - แลน

Katy-Paige 090702 เคที-แพจ์ ๐๙๐๗๐๒ (I guess this is meant to be 9th July 2002? Thailand's year would be 2555 - so replace the last two numbers with ๕๕)

Alfey-J 100208 แอ็ลฟี-จ ๑๐๐๒๐๘ (Again I guess this to be 10th Feb 2008 - note that some people start the Thai new year in April, but officially it is 1st Jan now-a-days so it would be 2008=2551; last two numbers should then be ๕๑)

Katy-Paige 090702 - เคที่ เพจ ๐๙-๐๗-๐๒ (๙ ก.ค. ๔๕)

Alfey-J 100208 - อัลฟี่ (or แอลฟี่) - เจ ๑๐-๐๒-๐๘ (๑๐ ก.พ. ๕๑)

Dom-a-nick - โดมอันิค

Loo-Kus - ลูคัซ์ (Sor Sow only can appear at the end of foreign loan words - it is the only real way to end in a 's' sound - most Thais will not pronounce it at all - other 's' letter will be pronounced 't' usually).

Daisha - เดชา (there is no 'sh' sound in Thai, only a 'ch' sound - so it will be pronouced Deh-Chah)

Dominic (pronounced Domanick) - ดอมินิก is the most preferable transliteration for this name.

Lucas - ลูคัส (it doesn't make sense to put silent mark on the last consonant for this word)

Daisha (pronounced Daysha) - according to the pronunciation you provided, it should be เดชา. But I think "Daisha" should be a female name, right? เดชา is a male name in Thai though. So, I suggest, your name should be transliterate to "เดอิชา"(day-i-sha)which sound more like female name.

Sorry for stepping in, but if people want these translation to get tattooed, at least it should be something more reasonable than this.

สุนัขบ้า is mad dog.

Erm, yes, but they both mean Wolf - หมาป่า mean forrest dog if you want to be precise - may be becuase Thailand doesn't have indignous wolves perhaps. Check it here if you don't believe me - or a dictionary.

And What about LAN?

LAN - แลน

This is lairn

Katy-Paige 090702 เคที-แพจ์ ๐๙๐๗๐๒ (I guess this is meant to be 9th July 2002? Thailand's year would be 2555 - so replace the last two numbers with ๕๕)

Alfey-J 100208 แอ็ลฟี-จ ๑๐๐๒๐๘ (Again I guess this to be 10th Feb 2008 - note that some people start the Thai new year in April, but officially it is 1st Jan now-a-days so it would be 2008=2551; last two numbers should then be ๕๑)

You are assuming he want 'J' to be said as 'Jeh'. This is the problem with transliteration - 'you say tomatato...' etc, how you say Paige is definitely different to how I do. Jor Jan at the end of the Paige would again give a 't' ending - Pet

Dom-a-nick - โดมอันิค

Dominic (pronounced Domanick) - ดอมินิก is the most preferable transliteration for this name. But thai is DomInic which is exactly what he didn't want - preferred or not, but I do agrain with this bit ดอม just not the sala-i

Lucas - ลูคัส (it doesn't make sense to put silent mark on the last consonant for this word) OK, maybe doesn't need the silent mark (although it is an indication that it is a loan word and can help with pronounciation - given a Thai wouldn't pronounce the 's' ending anyway) - ending with Sor-Sewer gives a 'T' ending - Loo-Kut

Daisha (pronounced Daysha) - according to the pronunciation you provided, it should be เดชา. But I think "Daisha" should be a female name, right? เดชา is a male name in Thai though. So, I suggest, your name should be transliterate to "เดอิชา"(day-i-sha)which sound more like female name. - or just change her name to Mali

Edited by wolf5370

• 3 weeks later...
The fonts make it difficult, but I think it's เห็นแก่ตัว - selfish, greedy, self-centered, egotistical etc

Unusual one...

Really? It's strange for buddist, you're right, thank you! I'll be thinking about my own design in such case

The fonts make it difficult, but I think it's เห็นแก่ตัว - selfish, greedy, self-centered, egotistical etc

Unusual one...

You missed the word "อย่า".

It means "don't be selfish".

Hello, I want a tattoo in Thai as a phrase that means something like "living the dream". However those words do not seem to translate over and make sense in Thai because dream was only meaning your dreams in sleep and I needed the ambition/desire/aspire meaning. After playing around with a lot of different words and using different Thai dictionaries I have come up with this... อาศัยสิ่งที่คุณปรารถนา

According to google translator this says "living what you desire" which would work for me. My question is though, is the above phrase correct and does it actually make sense to a Thai speaking person?

Also if anyone has another phrase that says this in a better way please post it.

Thank you very much

Mark D

Edited by markwdd

Hello, I want a tattoo in Thai as a phrase that means something like "living the dream". However those words do not seem to translate over and make sense in Thai because dream was only meaning your dreams in sleep and I needed the ambition/desire/aspire meaning. After playing around with a lot of different words and using different Thai dictionaries I have come up with this... อาศัยสิ่งที่คุณปรารถนา

According to google translator this says "living what you desire" which would work for me. My question is though, is the above phrase correct and does it actually make sense to a Thai speaking person?

Also if anyone has another phrase that says this in a better way please post it.

Thank you very much

Mark D

อาศัยสิ่งที่คุณปรารถนา doesn't make sense for what you want.

"living the dream" - มีชีวิตอยู่กับสิ่งที่คุณใฝ่ฝัน

I think someone else might be able to give you a better version. :-)

Edited by yoot

post-79206-1250782533_thumb.jpgCan someone tell me what this means? I found it online... Obviously I think I know what it means, but I'll keep quiet to see if it's right...

I think it's the name "Dillon". There is no meaning in Thai language, just a transliteration of a name.

สุนัขบ้า is mad dog.

Erm, yes, but they both mean Wolf - หมาป่า mean forrest dog if you want to be precise - may be becuase Thailand doesn't have indignous wolves perhaps. Check it here if you don't believe me - or a dictionary.

And What about LAN?

LAN - แลน

This is lairn

You are assuming he want 'J' to be said as 'Jeh'. This is the problem with transliteration - 'you say tomatato...' etc, how you say Paige is definitely different to how I do. Jor Jan at the end of the Paige would again give a 't' ending - Pet

Dom-a-nick - โดมอันิค

Dominic (pronounced Domanick) - ดอมินิก is the most preferable transliteration for this name. But thai is DomInic which is exactly what he didn't want - preferred or not, but I do agrain with this bit ดอม just not the sala-i

Lucas - ลูคัส (it doesn't make sense to put silent mark on the last consonant for this word) OK, maybe doesn't need the silent mark (although it is an indication that it is a loan word and can help with pronounciation - given a Thai wouldn't pronounce the 's' ending anyway) - ending with Sor-Sewer gives a 'T' ending - Loo-Kut

Daisha (pronounced Daysha) - according to the pronunciation you provided, it should be เดชา. But I think "Daisha" should be a female name, right? เดชา is a male name in Thai though. So, I suggest, your name should be transliterate to "เดอิชา"(day-i-sha)which sound more like female name. - or just change her name to Mali

Sorry wolf, but yoot, being a native speaker of Thai is in fact spot on here.

One can indeed discuss the appropriateness of a name transcription back and forth based on the desired and perceived pronunciation, but there are standard ways of writing many Western names in Thai, and when one deviates from those standards the result will often look like a misspelling to a Thai reader.

สุนัขบ้า means mad dog, and not wolf. The dictionary search link you provided does not have สุนัขบ้า as a translation for wolf, but สุนัขป่า.

LAN - แลน

This is lairn

It's true the lack of a mai tai khu on top normally makes the vowel sound long in Thai words, but this rule is suspended when transcribing many English loan words. (Check the Thai spelling of Cadbury's for example, as mentioned by Rikker in another thread.)

แลน is the standard way of writing 'LAN' as in Local Area Network in Thai. You can check this in a Thai version of Windows or Google it in Thai, and you will see it is correct. (it is also a case where Thai can be said to follow the US pronunciation with a longer vowel sound, rather than the British English one).

It never ceases to amaze when people drift over here without a clue about this site, and pretend to lecture Khun Yoot on Thai language and usage.

He is a boon (บุญ) to this forum of incalculable measure, generously volunteering the necessary context and real meanings of Thai language words and expressions, which even the best students wouldn't otherwise know, because dictionaries don't go far enough to explain many nuances (nor does "the wife, or "the missus.")

For newcomers to this forum, it would be instructive to first review some of the beneficial contributions of our most-valued contributor.

Cheers.

I am also considering a Thai script tattoo, as I believe it to be one of the most beautifully rendered scripts humans ever used.

Instead of my name however, I'd like a translation of the Buddhist-influenced sentence: "keep your mind like calm water", or maybe just "mind like calm water" for conciseness. Google translates them as เก็บใจของคุณต้องการน้ำสงบ and ใจชอบน้ำนิ่ง respectively. If a native speaker would be so kind as to confirm that the translations make sense within the language (or tell me of an alternative phrasing that better captures the meaning in different words), I would greatly appreciate it.

It would also be of great help if anyone can point me to a place where I can find free fonts that render Thai script well for tatooing purposes.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Pedro

PS: I can't help but feel in awe of the kindness and effort placed here, to help non-speakers out with things as 'trivial' as tattoos. Still, who wants to get them wrong?! ;-)

I am also considering a Thai script tattoo, as I believe it to be one of the most beautifully rendered scripts humans ever used.

Instead of my name however, I'd like a translation of the Buddhist-influenced sentence: "keep your mind like calm water", or maybe just "mind like calm water" for conciseness. Google translates them as เก็บใจของคุณต้องการน้ำสงบ and ใจชอบน้ำนิ่ง respectively. If a native speaker would be so kind as to confirm that the translations make sense within the language (or tell me of an alternative phrasing that better captures the meaning in different words), I would greatly appreciate it.

It would also be of great help if anyone can point me to a place where I can find free fonts that render Thai script well for tatooing purposes.

Pedro

PS: I can't help but feel in awe of the kindness and effort placed here, to help non-speakers out with things as 'trivial' as tattoos. Still, who wants to get them wrong?! ;-)

เก็บใจของคุณต้องการน้ำสงบ and ใจชอบน้ำนิ่ง, both don't make sense for what you want.

"keep your mind like calm water" - Literally translation should be "ทำใจของคุณให้สงบดั่งน้ำนิ่ง"

But "ทำใจให้สงบนิ่ง" would sound much better in my opinion.

Pedro

เก็บใจของคุณต้องการน้ำสงบ and ใจชอบน้ำนิ่ง, both don't make sense for what you want.

"keep your mind like calm water" - Literally translation should be "ทำใจของคุณให้สงบดั่งน้ำนิ่ง"

Thank you so much for your kindness and promptness Yoot. I like the elegance of "ทำใจให้สงบนิ่ง", particularly the connotation of accepting or coming to grips with it, which is not conveyed well in the original. However, I will humbly ask whether you believe we may have lost one of the meanings of the sentence (please take no offense in my ignorance...). In my interpretation, the original sentence means to silence the mind and thereby attain inner peace, but also to reflect/perceive the Universe untainted of preconception and prejudice (as a pool of calm water reflects it's surroundings accurately, with no distortion). If "ทำใจให้สงบนิ่ง" does not capture both meanings, can you see a better way to say it than the literal translation?

By the way, I think I solved my font finding issue at www.f0nt.com (for those who may be interested).

Pedro

try this site!!!!

http://www.thai-language.com/dict/

Thank you so much for your kindness and promptness Yoot. I like the elegance of "ทำใจให้สงบนิ่ง", particularly the connotation of accepting or coming to grips with it, which is not conveyed well in the original. However, I will humbly ask whether you believe we may have lost one of the meanings of the sentence (please take no offense in my ignorance...). In my interpretation, the original sentence means to silence the mind and thereby attain inner peace, but also to reflect/perceive the Universe untainted of preconception and prejudice (as a pool of calm water reflects it's surroundings accurately, with no distortion). If "ทำใจให้สงบนิ่ง" does not capture both meanings, can you see a better way to say it than the literal translation?

By the way, I think I solved my font finding issue at www.f0nt.com (for those who may be interested).

also, sorry to ask so much but could someone also translate 'don't worry, be happy'

thanks so much

ไม่ต้องกังวลมีความสุข

web site for translation thai/English......English/ Thai..........http://www.thai-language.com/dict/

hi

could you tell me what 'nicola', 'niki'

& also the phrase 'do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment'

in thai is please?

x

"do not dream of the future..........จะไม่ฝันอนาคต

"concentrate the mind on the present moment"..........สมาธิจิตในขณะปัจจุบัน