The Tattoo Thread - Western Names In Thai Script

meadish_sweetball

hi

someone else gave me this translation for 'don't worry be happy' which is slightly longer than the one provided in this thread, could someone let me know which is the correct one?

ไม่ต้องกังวล ทำตัวให้มีความสุขเข้าไว

thanks alot

hi

someone else gave me this translation for 'don't worry be happy' which is slightly longer than the one provided in this thread, could someone let me know which is the correct one?

ไม่ต้องกังวล ทำตัวให้มีความสุขเข้าไว

thanks alot

http://www.thai-language.com/dict/

Hello, I want a tattoo in Thai as a phrase that means something like "living the dream". However those words do not seem to translate over and make sense in Thai because dream was only meaning your dreams in sleep and I needed the ambition/desire/aspire meaning. After playing around with a lot of different words and using different Thai dictionaries I have come up with this... อาศัยสิ่งที่คุณปรารถนา

According to google translator this says "living what you desire" which would work for me. My question is though, is the above phrase correct and does it actually make sense to a Thai speaking person?

Also if anyone has another phrase that says this in a better way please post it.

Thank you very much

Mark D

อาศัยสิ่งที่คุณปรารถนา doesn't make sense for what you want.

"living the dream" - มีชีวิตอยู่กับสิ่งที่คุณใฝ่ฝัน

I think someone else might be able to give you a better version. :-)

i was thinking of changing it to follow your dreams because living is confusing me. how about this...

ฝันทําตามตัว or ทําตามตัวฝัน

which one, if any, makes sense? i used thai-language.com and google translator to come up with this.

Thank you

แอนน์ 020,885 หรือ 2.8.1985 (วัน / เดือน / ปี) AD

"I'd like to now my name and bday in thai script:

Anne

020885 or 2.8.1985 (day/month/year) A.D.

The E letter is also pronounced, so it's not the same as Ann.

E sounds same as e in elaphant or end."

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just joined the forums today. I am also interested in getting my first tattoo in Thai script, but I need a little help with the translation. I wanted to get 'heart' tattooed in Thai, but not the physical organ, but more in the sense of 'willpower' or 'courage' as in 'He's got heart.'

I've tried looking up a few things and ขวัญ is the best I could come up with for that meaning. If anyone could help me out, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi all, just joined the forums today. I am also interested in getting my first tattoo in Thai script, but I need a little help with the translation. I wanted to get 'heart' tattooed in Thai, but not the physical organ, but more in the sense of 'willpower' or 'courage' as in 'He's got heart.'

I've tried looking up a few things and ขวัญ is the best I could come up with for that meaning. If anyone could help me out, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

He's got heart.......เขามีหัวใจ

courage......ความกล้าหาญ

willpower....จิตตานุภาพ

He's got heart.......เขามีหัวใจ

courage......ความกล้าหาญ

willpower....จิตตานุภาพ

wow that was quick, thanks! but does ขวัญ apply in the context that I am using it in? sort of like 'spirit' or 'morale' that kinda abstract thing. I apologize if I can't articulate it well, but I don't want my first (maybe only) tattoo to be a blunder!

He has heart.......เขามีหัวใจ........!

courage..............ความกล้าหาญ

my TG reckons that this is as best translation for what you need,hope it works out!!

-----------------------------

Thank you. my friend will be happy with this Haert thing.

many thanks again

Glegolo

คนใจถึง would work well for what you want.

If I see เขามีหัวใจ, the only meaning I can think of is "He has a heart", heart as in an organ.

hi i have a large ask, if someone could translate to script for me 'for the times we are yet to see' im more concerned with the sentiment of the phrase then word for word. its from our weddings vows :)

also would love translations for my childrens names - Declan and Callyn

• 2 weeks later...
hi i have a large ask, if someone could translate to script for me 'for the times we are yet to see' im more concerned with the sentiment of the phrase then word for word. its from our weddings vows :)

also would love translations for my childrens names - Declan and Callyn

The first question is difficult, because it is not a complete sentence. This is fine in a poetic context in English, but it leaves an assumed, unspoken thing that we are thinking of, which is "for the times we are yet to see." This poetic ambiguity is left open to interpretation by the listener, and it is hard to translate into another language without being overly specific (and thus not very poetic). I'll do my best though.

• เพื่อประสบการณ์ที่เราจะเจอในอนาคต (literally: for the experiences that we will encounter in the future)
  • Declan - เด็คลัน
  • Callyn - แคลิน

Maybe someone else can come up with something better for the sentence.

this guys:

Ian

Victor

Bencher

please please those 3 names :) thanks :D

• Ian - เอียน ("Ee-an") or ไออัน ("Aye-an")
  • Victor - วิคเตอร์ (Unfortunately, the "V" is going to be pronounced like a "W" by Thais; there is no "V" in Thai.)
  • Bencher - เบ็นเชอร์

There is also no final "R" sound in Thai, but it can be simulated in words ending in "-er" using a Thai vowel that sounds very similar. In the case of Victor, the closest you will come is to treat the final "-or" the same as "-er". If a Thai person is available, ask them to read these out loud to see if they are satisfactory.

How about "REX"?

There is no fianl "S" sound in Thai. When one is written, it is pronounced as a final "T". So, to the extent that a final "X" is pronounced like a final "-KS", it will not be possible to spell it precisely.

However, in cases like this where the spelling of foreign loan words is attempted, one of the letters used to represent an initial "S" can be added to the end of the word, and then silenced (* see footnote) so that it is not pronounced incorrectly. So, long story short, I'd spell it like this:

เร็กซ์

Unfortunately, the outcome of all this is that Thais will pronounce it like the English word "wreck", which may or may not be desirable. :)

Cheers,

-o

* Silencing the final letter is done by writing a special mark above it, so becomes ซ์

Hi all,

I'd like some help please - again.

I've a friend (female) at work who would like the following trnaslated:

Whatever it takes

I am what I am

Thanks in advance

DC

• Whatever it takes - ทำอะไรที่จะได้ผลประโยชน์ (literally: do whatever will bring useful results.)
  • I am what I am - ผมเป็นคนที่ผมเป็น (Note: this is an extremely literal translation, and Thais will probably think it sounds odd as it is such an obvious statement, literally meaning "I am the person that I am.")

Note also that "I am what I am" as translated is spoken from the perspective of a male. If female, you would change it to:

• ฉันเป็นคนที่ฉันเป็น

Hi all,

I'd like some help please - again.

I've a friend (female) at work who would like the following trnaslated:

Whatever it takes

I am what I am

Thanks in advance

DC

• Whatever it takes - ทำอะไรที่จะได้ผลประโยชน์ (literally: do whatever will bring useful results.)
  • I am what I am - ผมเป็นคนที่ผมเป็น (Note: this is an extremely literal translation, and Thais will probably think it sounds odd as it is such an obvious statement, literally meaning "I am the person that I am.")

Note also that "I am what I am" as translated is spoken from the perspective of a male. If female, you would change it to:

• ฉันเป็นคนที่ฉันเป็น

Thanks, and much appreciated.

You raise some good points. It is sometimes difficult to explain to people who ask me for translation that there is a difference between a literal translation and the intended sentiment. This is why when you ask three different people for a translation you are likely to get three differing responses.

Its the sentiment that people are usually looking for, which is the case in this instance and the Thai aspect because aesthetically it is an attractive script. In reality my friend is unlikely to visit Thailand, but I'll pass on the health warning along with the translation, just in case.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

AjarnP helped me with this so far... I need to verify before I ink this to my skin...

Five English names to Thai.

Can ya'll help me verify the most correct pronunciation and spelling of these??

Thanks!!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your confidence, I hope I can justify it in transliterating your names I think this is what you mean, i.e. not 'translating'

Rob โรบ or รอบ the first gives more of a 'robe' sound which I always feel is wrong but it is the comon form as used by ROBinson (the department store)

Dana เดนา I am not sure of whether you want "DAYNAH" OR "DAHNAH" but I have assumed the first as it's the most common English pronunciation

Isaac ไอซาค Said as it's spelt

Lily ลิลลี Said as it's spelt

Erin เอริน Said as it's spelt

Anyway, don't take my word for it, post your request on the Thai Language forum and you will be inundated with answers

You're welcome (LOL)

AjarnP

Hi Guys! This site is fantastic!

I plan to get my knuckles tattooed with thai script and Im looking for the perfect word that only has 4 thai letters.

Can someone please translate ... 'Tbone' (if its even possible) and 'Lucky' ? Would it make sense for me to get มีลาภ? Or would that be using it in the wrong context?

Thank you so very much!

Tina

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I would like to have the following translated into Thai Script and tattooed....

"I am the essence of love and I draw love to me with every inward breath I take"

Someone translated it to me as follows, but they weren't so sure:

ฉันเป็นธาตุแท้ของความรักและฉันดึงดูดความรักซึ่งฉันเองกับทุกครั้งที่ฉันมีลมหายใจอยู่ข้างใน

What is the english translation of this and where are the spaces?

Many thanks!

Cassandra.

Sorry I can't translate something that complex but I can tell you that Thai isn't written with spaces, well at least the words arn't separted with spaces. Usually sentances are separated by spaces though.

Just out of interest, why are you getting something tattooed in Thai when you can't read it yourself?

You might also want to say wether you want a literal translation or maybe a more poetic lose translation.

Mods: How about movin’ this to the “The Tattoo Thread - Western Names In Thai Script” so that people might answer it for her. :D

Kassandra; (as was pointed out) you must realize thai doesn’t have spaces between the words (sorry, that’s just how it is). :D That’s gonna make for a frickin’ LONG tattoo, especially when it’s done large enough to read the script. Depending on how fat you are :D ; it might go completely around your waist or at the least several times around your arm.

You might wanna rethink the flowery prose, and go with something shorter. Maybe even concentrating on something that thais would understand if they read it, like I don’t know, maybe a thai phrase?. :)

Remember the chance of ever running into someone outside thailand who can read thai script is very miniscule indeed, so if you don’t live here, no one outside this country will even know what language it is, let alone know what it says.

I for one would be VERY hesitant indeed to get something inked on my skin that I couldn’t read myself. Although this doesn’t seem to stop the plethora of foreigners I see every day with unintelligible, and/or nonsensical tattoos in thai on their bodies. I doubt you’ll let that fact stop you either. Good luck. :D

Mods please move this thread. …