Tourists Killed Near Death Bridge

stumonster

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from a later story in the Daily Telegraph:

Somchai's father, Sunthorn, alleged: "The two foreigners came here three or four times and ate and drank here. They were sitting at a table with Somchai and I saw no argument. I think the 'farangs' [foreigners] were penniless. The man wanted to give his girlfriend to my son for money."

He added: "The man tried to force his way into my son's car and tried to undo my son's gunbelt. But the girl was not in it. She had already walked away."

It doesn't ring true at all. The guy is just trying to protect his son and - with extremely fuzzy logic - try to blame the murder on the victims.

Some tourists deserve to be shot.

Sounds like they were being disrespectfull/drunk/she was wearing next to nothing and her nobhead boyfriend picked an argument with the wrong person.

Its no great loss.

I hope you have the courage to go and visit the victims families and say that to their face

Sounds like they were being disrespectfull/drunk/she was wearing next to nothing and her nobhead boyfriend picked an argument with the wrong person.

Its no great loss.

That's a ###### cold hearted thing to say. Unless you were there you don't know how respectful/disrespectful the farang or Thai were.

I think for their families it was a great loss.

Even if you are right, the gf was wearing next to nothing, the boyfriend was a nobhead, drunk or disrespectful, getting shot dead is far too bad a thing to happen to them.

You need to think about what you say, if a member of the family read this why searching for information about this crime on the internet either now or in the future I think you would cause them great upset.

To be so flippant about a double murder with quotes such as "some tourists deserve to be shot" is inexcusable.

:D Echo the feeling to the families of the victims... Yet.... we know who shall walk with a slap on the hand. Happens to often in the LOS finest... Just back track.. and you will see the history of this....especially with the Finest... :o

Do the Buddistic religion learn people here that if tourists wear next to nothing on a holiday destination and they also dare to open their mouth, they deserve to be shot? :o

Mmmmm a little disturbing...i was only there myself on the weekend, on that very bridge sipping a beer and thinking what a peaceful place Kanchanaburi is. :o

same same, I drove there on my motorbike last week and was planning to move there and enjoy life from the other side. Maybe the tourist didn t know about the saving face rule in Asia, so much that the tourist police gave them -instant justice-. Well, well, it is a surprise!

All my condolences to the family as well.

xxx :D

(but not a big deal unless one is on a bus or taxi like yourself, Steve)

:D I always know I've won an argument with Heng when he has to resort to speculations about my economic mode of life! :D:o

But to get back on topic, though my initial sympathies are with the dead people (they ARE the dead people, after all!) I've met enough reelly stoopid people here to know that one has to learn to full story.

Think the guy's actually going to do any time or lose his job?

"Steven"

Thailand is not a mafiosa society, you're right on that one.

But there is terrorism, economic crime, plenty of traffic in Bangkok (but not a big deal unless one is on a bus or taxi like yourself, Steve), drug dealers, and plenty of prostitution (long live what's left of the Davis Group, under new management).

:D:o

a few years ago i was in this thai guys house in jomtien, sea views, swimming pool, marble floors etc, probably worth about 12 million baht.

he does local council contracting for building the roads and schools, about 10 of us there in the dining room having a few scotches, 5 guys turn up an go into one of the rooms there and get 4 pistols and a pump action shotgun, stuck em on the dining table, loaded them up and then got back into their cars, now this was about 7 pm at nite. nope i didnt even ask as i had know wish to know why 5 guys would be going out at 7pm of an evening with loaded guns.

but heng wot would u desribe these 5 thai chappies as?

Its no great loss.

I would really like to hear you say that to the relatives.

You total muppet. Drop dead :o

Its no great loss.

You must be an only child. With your reasoning who would want more. :o

It's sad and tragic that such a young couple with the rest of their lives ahead of them had to die. My condolences to their families.

But let's put this in perspective.

This would not rate the amount of news coverage or this number of replies if the couple had been Thai.

The sad fact is that the Thai police have way too much power. Extrajudicial killings are the norm rather than the exception. The planting of evidence is not unheard of. The photos of people who were killed in the South - rightly or wrongly - and fell off their bikes but amazingly, still clutching their machetes is more than unusual.

There are far too many places around the world that are as dangerous but there are few where the danger comes from the people who are designated to serve and to protect.

I hope something good comes out of this sad story - but I am not hopeful.

Its no great loss.

You are a disgrace. You should be ashamed of yourself, what if this had been your sister? Would you still say she deserved it?

My husband and I read two different Thai newspapers and they had two different stories, I checked the Bangkok Post and The Nation and they had two more stories, now on this site there have been a few more from different news sources. What is really the truth? Does it really matter what happened? If they fought? If she was "wearing next to nothing"? (I'll bet you are one of those people who think a woman who wears a short skirt and gets raped was 'asking for it' :o ). The truth is this policeman, whose job is supposedly to protect people and enforce the laws, used his weapon to gun down an unarmed tourist and then run down with his car then shoot a helpless woman lying in the road.

They were murdered by a cop, not some stupid hothead (well, never mind, guess he was a stupid hothead) but running her down with his car and then shooting her 3 times as she lay in the road doesn't really show much anger then does it? Bit more like coldblooded murder. Would this make the news if it were Thai people? I guess it depends on how rich they were or how important.

This all just shows the sad state of police enforcement and training in this country. Perhaps if the job paid more, required more training and education (anger management??) then there would less of these incidents. We had one ourself last year, not with a tourist getting shot but a policeman flipping out (drugs we heard) and shooting several of his colleagues when they were out drinking one night.

Its no great loss.

Think you are clever to say something like like? Any regrets now that you are sober?

Thank you Mr Pedantic and IBMOPERATIONS. I have had a run in or two with this breed of English. No sympathy here.

Maybe if England had more guns in hands of average citizens, thugs would think twice before throwing blows at the drop of a hat.

(Not to absolve the policeman. I am sure he will not get the punishment he deserves.)

Thailand is not a mafiosa society, you're right on that one.

But there is terrorism, economic crime,  plenty of traffic in Bangkok (but not a big deal unless one is on a bus or taxi like yourself, Steve), drug dealers, and plenty of prostitution (long live what's left of the Davis Group, under new management).   

:D  :o

a few years ago i was in this thai guys house in jomtien, sea views, swimming pool, marble floors etc, probably worth about 12 million baht.

he does local council contracting for building the roads and schools, about 10 of us there in the dining room having a few scotches, 5 guys turn up an go into one of the rooms there and get 4 pistols and a pump action shotgun, stuck em on the dining table, loaded them up and then got back into their cars, now this was about 7 pm at nite. nope i didnt even ask as i had know wish to know why 5 guys would be going out at 7pm of an evening with loaded guns.

but heng wot would u desribe these 5 thai chappies as?

I know there is organized crime here. I'd argue that the brand of organized crime here is actually superior to that that goes on in other places of the world as well (where there is often collateral damage in the civilian population... no drive by shootings or anything). My comment was that it is not a mafioso SOCIETY. The gangsters don't mess with regular folk here unless they are rude or step over the line in business.

:D

:D I always know I've won an argument with Heng when he has to resort to speculations about my economic mode of life! :D:o

Only because I always know I'm getting under Steven's skin when I do so. Sparring? What? I thought those were congratulatory high fives from a fan!

:D:D

Thank you Mr Pedantic and IBMOPERATIONS. I have had a run in or two with this breed of English. No sympathy here.

Maybe if England had more guns in hands of average citizens, thugs would think twice before throwing blows at the drop of a hat.

(Not to absolve the policeman. I am sure he will not get the punishment he deserves.)

Another Idiot,

Maybe if England had more guns in hands of average citizens,

What a stupid thing to say :o

the thing that worries me most is not just all the police with weapons, but all the civilians with pistols. How many young adults go to the disco with a pistol in the car, or worse manage to carry one through the security. It has been seen with the politicians son allegedly shooting the policeman in the disco in bangkok. people under the influence of alcohol ( and maybe assorted other drugs ) having easy access to firearms is a worrying scenario. How many unlawful weapon discharges are there every day in thailand? those rounds have to fall somewhere. And with Thai soapies all featuring weapons, especially the male stars doing the standard hollywood style routine of defeating 20 assault rifle toting badguys with just their trusty pistola.

what happened to Mr T's war on guns or did that just morph into becoming a 'hub 'for firearms?

We'll just have to wait to find the real story, if it ever comes out. The Thai newspapers will push the point that the victims were of low character while the western ones will play the angle that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I suspect the Policeman will get found with a bullet in his head and that will be the end of the story,

Violence and gun crime has always been a big problem in Thailand but it is usually confined to corrupt politicians and the Thai mafia. Now some of the mafia are turning themselves into whiter than white politicians it might stop but I doubt it.

Reading all the reports, if there was a row in the restaurant and the couple stormed out - they probably did so without paying the bill. The restaurant owner then probably chased after them for his dosh and things went pearshaped from there.

Just one take on the eyewitness reports printed in the press, and apparently one that hasn't been thought of yet.

Now I've brought it up, I hope it doesn't get used as his defence, but wouldn't be surprised if it did.

I don't really care if they didn't pay the bill and called the copper a piece of buffalo <deleted> and everybody was pissed...there is no excuse for this at all.

Could you imagine what you would do if this happened to a member of your family.

If the govt. has any sence of decency, they will hang this bloke out to dry.If enough pressure is put on the Pommie polititions and Thailand gets some bad press, then I'm sure this guy will get done..(wishfull thinking???)

I hope he gets raped by a tractor. :o