Koh Chang - A Paradise Lost

wilko

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First went there in 2000. Returned in 2004, couldn't believe how much it had changed!

Can't imagine how bad it is now!

I first went there in 2002, back in 2010. I was amazed at the changes...really sad. Such a potentially beautiful place ruined by out of control construction, greed and corruption.

First went there in 2000. Returned in 2004, couldn't believe how much it had changed!

Can't imagine how bad it is now!

I first went there in 2002, back in 2010. I was amazed at the changes...really sad. Such a potentially beautiful place ruined by out of control construction, greed and corruption.

yes well what they have actually done by allowing all this development is to force a huge number of new resorts and businesses

to fight for fewer and fewer baht. I have no idea what the future prospects are for this Island but I don't think

they are particularly good.

Edited by midas

I just returned from a week on Koh Chang and don't see what all the negativity in this thread is all about. Everywhere in the world has changed, nothing is the same anymore. I first went to Koh Samui and Koh Phi Phi in 1989 and sure they have become over-developed now but they are still beautiful islands.

We stayed in Had Kai Bae. What a beautiful clean beach that has such incredible sunsets. We looked around Had Sai Khao and thought the beach was dirty and over-crowded with Western tourists even for low-season. Hotels were over-priced. Klong Prao was also nice. We spent some time there. Lonely Beach was something I might have done when I was about 19 or 20. We rented a motor bike and went to Bang Bao. Some areas were nice there as well as Bailan Beach. We avoided all Western-owned restaurants as we always do in tourist areas. Overall we had a wonderful time, met some very nice people, made new friends, relaxed, went swimming, hiking, etc. I give Koh Chang a big thumbs up and will definitely be going there again. I only hope the trend with Russian tourism tapers off. They are for the most part, very arrogant, unfriendly, and rude to the hosts of this country.

Edited by elektrified

My wife and I spent a week there last November. I was very disappointed in the island. Although we met a few, friendly Thais, many of the people, (especially the baht bus drivers) were very greedy and unpleasant to deal with.

One day I actually walked from my hotel (Emerald Cove) to the waterfall (can't remember the name), rather than pay an outrageous price to a baht bus driver. (The walk was quite fun actually, I knew enough to get a large and sturdy stick to deter the dogs, and although I got quite a good sweat, since the falls were about 6 km from my hotel, it was enjoyable).

The baht bus drivers also seem to have some kind of co-op or union (read mafia) going whereby only certain drivers would go to certain places.

I would never want to live there (that was one of the purposes of the trip). Everything is too congested along the single road that runs up and down the coast and the competition is too fierce, IMO.

Also the place seemed overrun with Russian tourists, who seem to be the most inconsiderate group of people on the planet (much worse then the French!). Perhaps being a global traveler is new to them.

RickThai

Rick I share your sentiments 100%. Last time I was in Koh Chang was three years ago and I could not believe my eyes as to

how much development has occurred and how they have absolutely ruined what was once a charming island. As far as the Baht bus Mafia they are incredible aren't they?

I was staying in Bang Bao and because of a dearth of taxis running ( because none of the locals seemed to use them )

I decided to walk over the hill down to what used to be the Dusit Princess hotel but is now the Mercure.

When I decided to go back I simply flagged down the white songthaew and hopped on board as the only passenger.

He was going in the direction of Bang Bao anyway but to my utter disgust when we stopped he demanded 80 baht

from me in the most aggressive manner. I told him it was an outrageous amount but he didn't seem to care.

If this is what these people are going to do I think they will drive more and more tourists away from this destination.

I was so insulted by this I decided the only way to get revenge was to boycott using them.

The next day I gladly paid a Cambodian waiter from one of the restaurants where I had eaten the day before

to take me on his motorbike to the pier. If I ever go back to Koh Chang and there is a possibility I never will,

I will go out of my way to avoid using the white mafia taxis :bah:

I have to laugh how upset you got over 80 Baht for a ride! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, it sounds like it has really gone down hill. The first time I visited was back in 2002 then back in 2004 and it was very pleasent. The wife who has never been would like to go for new year so I'm doing a little reading.

Has anyone been over the new year period?

I have to laugh how upset you got over 80 Baht for a ride! :lol:

It's double the price of what the charge is supposed to be.

The taxis are a total pain in the ass, there are some good ones - but a number of them are total rip off merchants. I live here, so I'm pretty used to hearing some of the ridiculous prices that some of the scammers will try.

Wow, it sounds like it has really gone down hill. The first time I visited was back in 2002 then back in 2004 and it was very pleasent. The wife who has never been would like to go for new year so I'm doing a little reading.

Has anyone been over the new year period?

I'm guessing you are talking about the Christmas / New Year period. That time of year the weather is good, and it is generally busy. You will need to book in advance.

There are a number of good places on Koh Chang, but the main problem is that there is a lot of unplanned building, and I can see it going the way of some of the other previously untouched places.

Lonely Beach is a <deleted> hole in my opinion - full of wannabe back packers and crusties, I always drive through it quickly. Kae Bae - Chai Chet beach stretch is nice enough, there are plenty of decent places to stay as well as to eat and drink. Whitesands I guess is the main area, and there are plenty of hotels, bars and restaurants there. The beach is pretty decent, but you have to be careful of rip tides. The other side of the island is largely untouched, but again it is worth taking a drive over to that side and stop off a few places on the way.

• 1 month later...

There is a similar disscussion here

I was looking forward to a return there after the 16 years since I was last there, but I think I'll keep the memory as a treasure, the reality would probably break my heart.