Basic Fishing Tackle

mac.wheeler

Hi folks,

I was a keen coarse water angler in the UK for many years. I now find I have some spare time and was thinking I might to try a little rock/pier fishing.

I have no clue about sea tackle, could somebody give me some ideas or maybe point me at a website?

I just need to know what kind of basic tackle I need, rod, reel and rigs.

Cheers.

I used to do a lot of shore fishing in the UK and for rock / pier work we used medium to heavy action 7 ' rods. However your set up will vary greatly depending on the nature of the area you are in (you maybe fishing off of rocks but will your bait be lying on rocks or sand?).

We used to 10-20lb line and a combination of float and ledger tactics. I have always preferred fixed spool reels (Shimano Bait Runners) for shore and coarse fishing but I have found that most locals prefer multipliers. As for me after a few beers my casting gets worse and my multipliers normally resemble a birds nest!

Probably best thing to do is to hunt down some fishing shops (not department stores) and speak to some local shore anglers. Or failing that go watch them in action and adopt their tactics.

However, I can almost guarantee that the best bait to use in the sea will be squid.

Edited by quiksilva

Thanks for the reply.

The problem is that I live on Koh Phangan, we have 2 shops that sell a little tackle among the tie dye t-shirts and dodgy flip-flops.

They do seem to have a variety of tackle but they are just selling it they don't know anythig about it.

Thanks for the comment though, I was thinking I would ust use ledger tackle in a similar way I would in course fishing but obviosuly with heavier sea tackle.

I am an avid fisherman here on Cape Cod....I would suggest a 10 or 12 foot rod for casting from shore. A shorter rod won't give you distance.

A 7 footer would be fine for pier fishing or trolling.

I would suggest a good quality spinning reel for either set up. 20 lb. test would probably be a good all around line. I would buy some fluorocarbon leader material as well.

As far as lures/bait set ups....this would depend on what species your targeting.....are they bottom feeders? predatory? what environment do they live in...rocky bottom, sand, reef?

I would agree that a hunk of fresh squid, placed on a hook and either left on bottom (with a weight and leader) or dangling on a float over a reef.....would be a tempting snack to most species.

I once fished with some locals in Aruba. They had an interesting way to reach the reef from shore. They would go to a spot on the island where the wind was blowing from shore to sea.....tie a blown up condom to their line as a float, and the wind carried the bait out to the reef.......great results.

Watch the locals.....good luck, and remember if you caught one every time....it would be called "catching", not "fishing" :o

Hi mac, talked to my husband, who is an avid fisherman, and he said if you want advice on what tackle to buy and where to go fishing to let me know. You can drop by, he's happy to give you any advice you need on fishing....

sbk, the fishing widow :o

I am an avid fisherman here on Cape Cod....I would suggest a 10 or 12 foot rod for casting from shore. A shorter rod won't give you distance.

A 7 footer would be fine for pier fishing or trolling.

I would suggest a good quality spinning reel for either set up. 20 lb. test would probably be a good all around line. I would buy some fluorocarbon leader material as well.

As far as lures/bait set ups....this would depend on what species your targeting.....are they bottom feeders? predatory? what environment do they live in...rocky bottom, sand, reef?

I would agree that a hunk of fresh squid, placed on a hook and either left on bottom (with a weight and leader) or dangling on a float over a reef.....would be a tempting snack to most species.

I once fished with some locals in Aruba. They had an interesting way to reach the reef from shore. They would go to a spot on the island where the wind was blowing from shore to sea.....tie a blown up condom to their line as a float, and the wind carried the bait out to the reef.......great results.

Watch the locals.....good luck, and remember if you caught one every time....it would be called "catching", not "fishing" :o

Good post. I agree on a 10-12ft rod if you need to get the bait out a good distance. The OP mentioned rock / pier so 7ft would be okay if you expect to go straight into deep water

Hi mac, talked to my husband, who is an avid fisherman, and he said if you want advice on what tackle to buy and where to go fishing to let me know. You can drop by, he's happy to give you any advice you need on fishing....

sbk, the fishing widow :o

Thanks sbk! I'm pushed for time this week due to work, I will drop you a PM sometime towards the middle of next week.