Share Your Photoshop Tips & Skills Here

astral

That's great. I see what you've done BUT how do you get it to move as it does?

Love to hear more

All the images are in one PSD file. Each one on a separate layer, the front one being at the "top". Then I made all the layers except the first "invisible" and saved it as "pic-1.jpg". Then made the second layer visible and saved it as "pic-2.jpg". Then the third layer visible saved as "pic-3.jpg" and so on. There is actually 20 images.

All the .jpg files were saved in their own unique folder and then transferred into Imageready by "import folder as frames" in the file menu. It was then just a matter of adjusting the speed of the animation until I was happy with it.

I've also tried "curving" the mirror image but cannot quite get it right as the picture I used doesn't appear suitable. I may try another picture but the process does take quite a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a strange experience with this one.

I positioned the camera on a tripod early morning and captured the images at 5 minute intervals from when the lotus started to open. Because of the changing light conditions I used automatic exposure (and AWB) assuming that the results would be consistent. In the end they were not with definite changes in colour balance as the lighting changed. I tried to line them up and adjust each one in turn but failed so I used the "image" "autolevels" on Photoshop which gave me acceptable regular colours on the frames.

lotus.gif

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I find that the greatest source for free photoshop tips is in iTunes podcasts. I have downloaded over a thousand podcasts, mostly photoshop video tips lasting from 1 minute for a PHOTOSHOP KILLER TIPS to TV shows like PHOTOSHOP TV. which lasts over a half hour. Also they have extensive selections of videos on LIGHTROOM and many other Adobe products. Some podcasts are sound only, but most are video.

My big problem is that I love to watch the tutorials and often don't get to practice what I just learned. Sometimes, something sinks in and I use the collection as a big reference library to search.

I assume that iTunes for the PC is the same as for the Mac and includes so much more than downloading songs. The iTunes program is a free download from apple...A guess a simple search for Photoshop podcasts would work great too.

Got to Youtube - search 'You Suck At Photoshop'. Hilarious tutorials from which you will actually learn something instead of dozing off.

• 4 weeks later...

For Photoshop Users - dirt, dust and scratch removal.

If you use film (like me) or just suffering with a dirty sensor the following is a quick and effective clean-up. It beats spotting by hours!

First, use the magic wand or similar to select your trouble area

Then use the following

The History Brush Technique

The History Brush Tool (keyboard shortcut ‘Y’) technique allows you to clean up large areas of dirt/dust quickly - so long as the area to be cleaned contains very little detail, or is out of focus or blurred, e.g. the sky or other background area.

First go Filter > Noise > Dust & Scratches... and choose a radius large enough to remove all the dust or blemishes. The whole image will be blurred but don’t worry about that for now.

Select the History Brush and in the History Palette, click on the small square box on the left of the Dust & Scratches history. This sets the origin for the History Brush.

Now click in the previous History state - the larger rectangular box immediately above and slightly to the right. This returns us to the un-blurred image.

With the Mode set to "Lighten" for transparencies, or "Darken" for negatives, paint over the dirt/dust with the History Brush. Magically, all traces of dust will vanish

Anyone here know how to isolate certain items in color and the rest in black and white using Photoshop? For example, I've seen photos of brides in black and white, but the bouquet in her hands in color. I like this effect. Would appreciate any help - preferably step by step.

Basically you need to mask/isolate the area you wish to retain the colour in, and then it's merely a case of converting the rest to monotone.

So -

First - select the lassoo tool (I always use the magnetic lasso as it follows the contours a little better)

Then - trace around the object you wish to keep in colour

c) select quick mask and it turns red

d) Image>adjustments>invert

e) undo quickmask

f) go to layers>black and white and click (or layers>desaturate to remove colour)

Hope you can follow that

Edited by The Vulcan

Anyone here know how to isolate certain items in color and the rest in black and white using Photoshop? For example, I've seen photos of brides in black and white, but the bouquet in her hands in color. I like this effect. Would appreciate any help - preferably step by step.

Basically you need to mask/isolate the area you wish to retain the colour in, and then it's merely a case of converting the rest to monotone.

So -

First - select the lassoo tool (I always use the magnetic lasso as it follows the contours a little better)

Then - trace around the object you wish to keep in colour

c) select quick mask and it turns red

d) Image>adjustments>invert

e) undo quickmask

f) go to layers>black and white and click (or layers>desaturate to remove colour)

Hope you can follow that

Wow... Thank you so much!

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks

I just thought I'd share this (my latest project; a greetings card for a mate, loads of in-jokes (I'm not going to explain !!) with you...

goodmansmouselemurresiz.jpg      furryfreakresized.jpg

How was it composited? Well from an image of my mate and some stock images downloaded from "google".Too many details to go into but plenty of layers and layer masks as well as some layer styles, too many tools to mention but a lot of use of the transform tools after extracting various images (some via the magic wand etc... , some using the pen tool and others using the channel palette), some use of the liquify filter (for the nose and mouth mainly but also in other areas) plus some custom brushwork, mainly on the bottle (to drink a glug and repaint in the contents). There was obviously also image adjustments for individual layers (one "trick" I like to use is reducing the opacity of a layer to help it blend in or try altering the blending mode).

Then there was the addition of a digital signature, which may appeal to you as a photographer even if you're not into compositing, this link comes from a really creative fellow and is easy to understand with a little knowledge of PS basics PSHero . I can see many applications for it; such as creating a personalised watermark or simply digitally signing your prints.

Cheers for now J

Below is a .zip file of the source images that I used to create this image for those whom may be interested.

source_files.zip